Spike Camp

Centerfire pistols

ballistic

Centerfire pistols
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:51 PM »
Does anyone have a centerfire pistol or have any experience with one ? I'm wondering how accurate they are ? Looked at the TC contender, thought one in a .223 would be pretty cool.

zonie

Re: Centerfire pistols
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:55:51 PM »
Troy,  they can be darn accurate,  submoa easily with the right scope and loads. They will rival accuracy in a good bolt rifle  at medium distances with a little practice.   Look at them as a mini bolt action or break action.   I don't have any at present,  but two I'm more familiar with are the older TC's and Savage 516's.  I like  the TC for one reason interchangable barrels,  I don't especially care for the break action  or grip position, but it can be very accurate , servicable, and a lot of different accessory options.  If I had a choice it would be the no longer in production Savage 516 you can still find good used ones,  for around 400 to 600 approx.  It's a  blind box magazine fed bolt action  repeater with a left hand bolt for right handed shooters.  The only thing I don't like about it is the slight amount of slop in the  mechanical linkage trigger due to the grip being foreward of the sear, a good gunsmith can correct this if it has too much play.  I do like the grip position being foreward it's more balanced and less recoil rise in the heavier calibers. The left hand bolt just makes sense in this repeater because you can manipulate the bolt with your left hand while still holding onto the grip.  It's a very good design.   One thing I didn't care for the weatherby cfp is the rear grip position  and right hand bolt.    The 223 is a joy to shoot. I haven't came across any of the 516's in 223 otherwise  i'd be seriously looking at it.  The last one I should have bought was in 308 without the muzzle brake and I passed on it,  that was dumb on my part considering it was only 300 bucks in primo condition. 

zonie

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »
Troy don't discount an older Remington xp-100, they were based on the rem 600 action,  very accurate and has the grip set foreward like the Savage.  There are some updated stock designs that sit the grip rearward as on the Weatherby cfp or you can get some awfully nice XP aftermarket  foreward gripped stocks.  To each his own  I much prefer the XP's and 516's over the TC.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:42:07 AM »
I had an encore pistol until I traded for my .300 wby. I have had a .243,.308 and .460 S&W barrel. My favorite was the .243 and then the .308. The .460 was a cannon but I didn't have a problem shooting. For me the .243 was the most accurate barrel that I had. Least recoil as well. Weatherby had pistols for a while also. I would love to have one in .257. You could use it to signal orbiting space craft at night with the muzzle blast at night but that would be ok with me.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:55:15 AM »
I have a contender with .22 hornet, . 223, .357mag, .44 mag, and .35 rem barrels.
They all  shoot better than I do.
Where I live it used to be no rifle hunting allowed but centerfire pistol was legal.
The .35 took many whitetails and the range was twice that of my 12ga.
It is nice to have many cals. for one gun too.
The encore is a stouter platform so that would be my choice now.
Both are VERY accurate.
Unclekax

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 06:17:09 AM »
Love my .460 S&W
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 07:33:36 AM »
A friend has a TC in 223.Very accurate at 100 yds.I never had a chance to shoot it farther than that.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

armchairhunter

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:12 AM »
Ballistic, First love your avatar!
I have a 6.5x284 in an Encore.
At first it gave me accuracy fits due to of all things: lock time.
I was not used to the hammer drop and the groups were sometimes 2x the size I desired. Now...that said I drink A LOT of coffee and...I was looking at 5 shot groups under .75 of an inch at 200 yards. After I "learned how to shoot" it would turn in <.500 groups at 200 yards.

I had SSK Industries make me a precision 25" barrel and tsob scope mount.
They are accurate.   :)

To me the ergonomics of the grip area suck and the lock time may take some time getting used to. Also lifting the center of firearm away from the rest makes for a new point of rest each time.

ballistic

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I'm contemplating a centerfire pistol but haven't made my mind up yet. Some good info and experience, it really helps. I'm looking at a .204 and .223, something for varmints with minimum recoil. I'd like to handle a couple different ones, but there hard to come by, have to be patient and keep an eye open.

NMARKANITE

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=357308295

surprised nobody mentioned these and the 1 above is in 22-250 but you can find them in 223, 243, 7mm-08? Not sure of any details but almost bought one but ended up with a Mark V Rifle in 22-250 ?
This article might help with a little back ground but then again it's only as good as the writer wants it to be  ;D
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Weatherby-Accumark-CFP/532595.uts
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:41:03 PM by NMARKANITE »