Spike Camp

Reloading info needed for Weatherby Vanguard S2 30-06.

Specklebelly

Re: Reloading info needed for Weatherby Vanguard S2 30-06.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
Hi all. First post on the nation.  I also have the 06 s2  topped with a vortex viper 6.5-22x50 and have a few questions.  After trying countless factory loads I was almost ready to give up on the rifle getting a 2" best group @ 100yrds with factory ammo.  I really like the look and feel of the rifle so I tried some hand loads my brother in law gave me and found a load that 5 shots I could cover with my thumb nail. 150gr sst pushed by 54.6 gr of Winchester 760 powder.  So instead of getting rid of the rifle I have a trip to cabelas planned to pick up a reloading setup.  I dont shoot much (outside of work) so I am looking for a rather inexpensive setup.  Looking for opinions on setups and powder recommendations.  I am using the rifle for whitetail and mule deer and hunt some open areas where a 500 yrd shot could be a possibility. As a l.e. Sniper I am very comfortable shooting at long ranges but I just want a round and rifle I can be confident in using on big game out to that 500 mark.  On a side note should I be using bags instead of a bipod shooting this rifle. I don't know if the pressure on the stock from the bipod would have adverse effects because the barrel is not free floated.  Sorry for the long winded post.  Thanks

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »
Specklebelly: It looks like you already have a good load if you can cover five shots with a thumb nail. W-760 is a medium speed burning powder but you could use H-4350 instead. Consult a reloading manual for the powder weight for the bullet weights you reload.

You don't need different rifles for White tail deer and Mule deer nor do you need different loads. This doesn't mean you don't have two rifles 'cause its good to have a back up. Shoot the bullets/loads your rifle likes the best that is adequate for the game. You don't have to use 150gn bullets, but they'll do the job if you do yours. If you're going to take 500 yard shots, practice them a lot.

As for shooting off a sandbag vs a tripod, I'll suggest getting a sturdy tripod and practice with it unless you are going to have sandbags with you while hunting / stalking. Your described accuracy doesn't lead me to think the non-free floating barrel is an issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

zonie

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »
Just remember the  oal, brass brand,  primer brand,  etc.   that your brother in law gave you for your best groups and try to replicate it .   Remember again Win 760 and H-414 are the same powder,   they are according to conversations with  Hodgdon's,    not like,  not similar,  they are the same powder just a different label,  so if you can find H-414 cheaper buy it or the reverse.  Go on Hodgdons reloading data web site and compare load data in a 30-06 using the two powders and you will find they are exactly the same.   You might want to try mag primers  if recommended with these ball powders and follow time tested load data from one better/various  powder or bullet makers loading manuals.

As far as shooting off bags of bi-pod ?   For test groups I prefer bags,  Then try the bipod and see if it makes a difference.  Don't get gorilla handed pushing/pulling, bearing down hard with a bipod especially with a rifle with only one sling swivel on the forend,    might pull it loose of pull out of the stock within time.  If you tend to use a bi-pod all the time and known to be ham handed with the rifle,   it might be a good idea to replace the original sling swivel stud with a  Harris bi-pod adapter HB-2 or a radiused HB-2R.   OR install a second reinforced  stud.  These are NOT drop in adapters they need to be inletted and glued in place,   they spread the force across a much larger area reducing  stud pull put. 

500 yds and a consistent  shooting sub  moa,   1/2 to 1 inch  30-06   can easily reach out to 500 yds  and hit a 9 inch paper plate  as long as it's not overly windy and a person can shoot.

Specklebelly

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »
I tried a few loads today.  Shooting h414 with Winchester primers, once fired hornady brass, and 150gr sst's.  I'm shooting the suggested col out of the hornady handbook.  I fired 3 shots to foul the barrel and then tried my handloads. First 5 shot group with 53gr was 1.26". Second five shot group with 54.7 gr was 1.88".  And third was 5 shot group with 56 gr shot an almost perfect verticle string of 2".  The previous loads were normal circular groups.  I tried my best to allow the barrel to cool between shots but I know that some it was still warm to the touch.  Max load in the book for this combo is 58.8 gr.  I have read that if everything else is good,  ie barrel cooled down, scope and gun and shooting is good that this may be a sign the load is getting close to comming together or that the round may be to hot for the gun.  There was no cratering or extractor markings on the brass.  So what do yall think.  Load hotter or less?  And at what point should I start toying with the col and loading closer to the lands?  How much difference in grains should I be doing when working up a load?  +- 1 grain. .5 grain or .1 grain?    I'm going to keep testing and loading but if someone has already went through this process and had something similar it could save me some time.  Thanks!!!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Why do you have such a huge gap between loads?  Some may differ, but most of us have a way on how to work up a load.  With the 06, I would load starting with the minimum starting load and working my way up 1 grain at a time, until I reach max (always start with the minimum load).  So, for example if the starting load is 53 grs, and max is 58.8 grs, you should end up with loads of 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 & 58 & 58.8 grs.  Once I find something promising in one of those loads, then I'll go into the decimals, and will go half a grain up and half a grain down with that particular load, and play within that one particular load.  If I'm happy with the load, then I'll tinker with the col. Also, don't be surprised if the starting load is accurate, which is the case with my 06, but I'm using IMR-4350, and shooting 180 grs.

Do you have a chronograph?   Some shooters like them, and some do not.  I'm the one who likes them, and the chrono will help me know the velocity of my reloads, and I sometime compare them to the published book velocity to see if I'm close (Which BTW, doesn't mean squat because the reloading company are using a completely different rifle and most likely different components).

Also clean your barrel real good. Everyone has different solvents they like, I like Bore Tech Eliminator, and I believe in it.

I hope I didn't confuse you, and if I did, holler and I'll try to answer your questions.  Good luck to ya!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Specklebelly

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »
Thank you for the input. I did not start with the minimum load (48 gr).  i was just intrigued by the vertical string of the hotter load even though it was 2.8 gr away for max.  I was trying to find a load that was toward the middle of top end in fps of the 06 while still being accurate.  If I have to drop to the bottom side of loads to be accurate and sacrifice fps to do so that is fine I was just hoping to avoid it.  Again thanks for the input as reloading is new to me.

TacDriver

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
I bought the 30 06 Vanguard series 2 as well.Reloading for mine went like this.RL19   59.5 grains 150 grain SST.3 shots same hole 100 yards.WIN primers and brass.
180 grain accubonds and 57 grain RL22 100 yard group size of a dime.
165 grain sst  still in progress IMR4350 from Min to max charge crap groups. Going to try RL19 AND RL22 THIS WEEK.

Specklebelly

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 07:55:24 PM »
Driver if you don't mind what are you using for the c.o.l. With the 150 sst's?  Hornady book length?

TacDriver

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »
Yes the hornady cal in book.

Specklebelly

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
Here are some of my findings with the combo hornady brass, win primer, hornady sst 150 gr and h414.  I found two nodes during load work up first one was 52 gr and second was 54.2 gr.  Both nodes had moa groups +-.2 gr.  Im going with the 54.2 gr with gave me .6" group at 100 yrds.  After deer season I will do some more tinkering with c.o.l and different brass and powders etc but .6" groups at 100 yrds should work for the time being. ;D

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »
When you can not find your 4350's, imr 4451 may be an alternative. If Hodgdon has the data published.