Spike Camp

270 Weatherby on elk ( my first weatherby)

270 Weatherby on elk ( my first weatherby)
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »
So long story short my dad used a 270 weatherby on elk way back in the day, he is passed away now and all I had was a picture of the rifle. I've been looking for one for a few years now.  So I stumbled across a lightly used USA made mark v 270 weatherby with mounts and rings for 700 which I thought was fair. I am curious what load you guys would recommend for elk. I plan on buying some of the economic weatherby ammo with the norma spitzer 130 grains for mostly just the brass. Will this bullet kill elk reliably if I decide to stick with it? I know a guy that swears by 120's in his 25-06 and he's never had one run more that 50 yards.  Should I just get different bullets like swift A-frames or are my hopes too high and I should stick to my 338.
Weatherby Mark V Sporter .270 Wby. Mag
Pre 64 Winchester model 70 .300 Win Mag

Re: 270 Weatherby on elk ( my first weatherby)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
Wow, $700 for a Mark V 270 Wby, I'd snap that up quick!  In my part of the world, used Mark V's in decent shape run anywhere from $950 to $1250.  That being said, I've used the 270 Wby Mag for elk and it works.  I would tend to use a well constructed bullet, along the lines of a GMX or Speer Grand Slam for best results.  Elk are tough critters and can take a lot of punishment. Good luck!

-Craig

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »
I had a browning 7mm on layaway but I couldn't pull my wallet out fast enough for the weatherby haha. I saw the exact same gun on gunbroker for a buy it now price of 1200 so figured I didn't do too bad. I was just curious if anyone used the nosler spitzers for elk because it is almost as cheap to buy the ammo as new brass. I will likely go with the swift A-frame because a lot of people I know use it and they penetrate well from what I've seen. Although I think I could kill anything with my 338 win mag and plain ol' core lokt 225 grains.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
Those 130gr Spitzers for $35-40 are not Nosler, they're Norma bullets.  Either way, if I were using my 270Wby for elk, I'd strongly consider nothing less than a Nosler Partition or E-Tip in 130gr, or the 150gr Partition or Accubond.  I don't like Swift bullets due to the all-copper jacket (as opposed to a gilding metal alloy jacket for most lead-core bullets) so I don't use them, but the A-Frame is an excellent bullet, no doubt.  I will say, in my opinion, there's not anything the A-Frame will do that the Partition won't, in equal weight and caliber bullets.

If I hunt elk with my 270Wby, it will be with the 130gr E-Tip, because that's been my deer load and performed excellently.  A friend in Canada has used the same bullet at slightly lower velocities from his 270WSM to dispatch elk, moose, and deer, so I have no qualms about it.  If I were to use a Partition, I'd strongly consider the 150gr version.  At 3200fps, it's a real hammer, too.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »
Oh my bad I mis-spoke. Well I guess I will just buy the ammo for the brass and shoot it up then. I suppose in a pinch they might do with proper shot placement but I will likely go with my 338 mag if I am going to go after elk. Which is unlikely in the next year because I don't have preference points stacked up for them. I like the A-frames for just about everything but I suppose it is all a matter of opinion. Thank you for the input guys!

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
I have been using the Hornady 140 grain boat tail handloaded warm, and it has reliably dumped both bull and cow elk with authority. Works great for moose and bear as well.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:58:48 PM »
Just bought a 270 weatheby accumark my self, need to find a good scope

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »
Just purchased a 270 Roy in a MK5 ultralight. Taking it out for elk in MT tomorrow. Been hunting hard with it and have passed up quite a few small bulls. Hoping for a bigger bull. 140 grain accubonds hopefully do the trick if I get a chance at a mature bull.