Spike Camp

What's up with weatherby rifles?

Re: What's up with weatherby rifles?
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »
This is my thoughts on this subject : back in 2006 I use to work at a gun shop here in the south Texas area, as an employee I ordered a Lazermark .270 WBY, I just adore this rifle. The owners wouldn't stock MK V's only Vanguards, and most folks here wouldn't purchase Weatherby MK V's for whatever reason they had. Well, i showed my Lazermark to a man that wanted to buy a birthday gift to himself, I ordered  him his very own Lazermark in 7mm WBY right in front of 1 of the owners and the salesmanager....lol
I went in that shop last month and behold 2 Weatherby MK V's Lightweights on the shelf, .257 & .300 WBY's, a used .270 Deluxe lasted about a week on their used gun rack, a left hand 30-378 sold after a month there. It seems they are staring to sell more Weatherby MK V's than they use to. I would say that if you employ a salesman, then listen to what he has to say about what customers are willing to pay for....as for me, I ONLY own Weatherby's as my Hunting rifles........like I said, just my thoughts.....lol

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »
I don't know why people bad mouth Weatherby either but I do know I love every one of mine.  I currently own seven Weatherbys along with Rugers, Sakos, Winchesters, and Remingtons and hands down the Weatherbys will out shoot the others.  Maybe people don't like parting with so much money or waiting for them to arrive at the dealers but I do know I waited a year, yes a year for Colt to build my Single Action Army.  If I want it I'll spend the money for it.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Mike

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2009, 03:44:57 AM »
I don't know why people bad mouth Weatherby either but I do know I love every one of mine.  I currently own seven Weatherbys along with Rugers, Sakos, Winchesters, and Remingtons and hands down the Weatherbys will out shoot the others.  Maybe people don't like parting with so much money or waiting for them to arrive at the dealers but I do know I waited a year, yes a year for Colt to build my Single Action Army.  If I want it I'll spend the money for it.

I think in general it is mainly confined to forums. That is definitely the case in Australia. Although Australian forums do not have nearly the same degree of anti Wby.

My feeling is that one of the reasons for "anti Wby" on forums is that the rifles/calibres seem a bit to extreme for most blokes to make the jump so they start with....who needs it, just a waste of time etc and etc."

If know a fair about rifles and Wbys in particular you can tell when the anti Wby person has no clue to what he is talking about.

One common error is on the freebore. Firstly, Wby freebore is a parallel throat that if all is as it should be will be only about .0005" above bullet diamter. Many shooters assume that because they seat the bullet out futher in their non Wby for an improvement that the Wby will be poor. However, when they make a posting the "assuming" comes out as a deinite that they have see. What they don't realise is the small adjustment in seating depth to their non Wby and resulting accuracy changes relates to powder ignition, not the greater or less distance travelled to the rifling.

Although for the absolute peak accuracy a calibre where you can seat the bullet to just on or just off the rifling will give the best accuracy and because of the control of the ignition. However, we are talking about very accurate bench style rifles before the difference becomes apparent.

The other thing which mainly seems to apply to American shooters is that many of them, especially the very keen gun owners become very pro English and royalty etc. However, the Wby tends to be "very American". Wbys and the calibres sort of go hand in hand with Corvettes and Shelby Mustangs.

Lastly, I think the Wby image was harmed with the Made in Japan. This would be especially the case with shooters who are now in their late 50s and through to 60s. After WWII the Made in Japan was absolute crap, whatever the product. I have owned Wbys on and off since about 1972, when I was 24. However, I never goy any Wby from the custom shop until Made in USA was on the box.

In Australia, whenever the Ruger is selling at a price not too much above the Howa/Vanguard then it will lead the new rifle sales.....Made in the USA.

Australia

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »
The same folks who bash Weatherby cartridges generally bash Weatherby rifles. LOL

The same old lame coments are out there time and time again. "There is no difference between the Wby mag and the Win/Rem Mag (you fill in the caliber).", "Brass is expensive",  "My Remchester shoots xxx MOA", " Game will never know the difference", "Ammunition is hard to find and expensive", blah blah blah.

Just alibi's from the unwashed!  There are two kinds of riflemen: Those who own Weatherby's and those who WISH they did!
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:35 PM »
I think one reason you dont hear Weatherby owners bragging about their guns is because we dont neen to. ;D We¬  all know why we like them¬  it is like when someone ask why skydivers jump out of planes and we say only skydivers know why the birds sing. Y ou have to skydive to understand or own a Weatherby to understand.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:36:22 PM by purplefox66 »
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

mossie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »
The only thing I can say, is owning a Weatherby was a dream and that dream came true a couple of times in the last year.
The dream has moved to wanting to own a Mark V now and one day I will. I sell all the other brands every day, yesterday was the first Mark V that I took out of the box to get ready for a customer. While mounting the scope and bore sighting it and giving it that first clean, I said to myself one day I will be doing that to my own Mark V. I can't bash any of the other product, for now I'm just going to live the dream... ;)
MOSSIE
Do I like hunting? No, I love, eat, drink, think and sleep hunting!!!

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »
I haven't ran up against that thankfully.  Most folks don't seem to care one way or another.  I own two vanguards (a sporter and a Sub MOA).  They both turn heads at the range.  Truth be told the value sets them equal to any Ruger or Remington that I own and honestly out of the box performance surpasses both Ruger and Remington rifles.  They do shoot flatter, hit harder and are more accurate. 
There are as many answers to that one as there are reasons men hunt, fight, skydive, gamble or take up with redheaded ladies.

NRA Legacy Life Member
IHEA Instructor
NBEF Instructor
DU Instructor

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
I think that both lines of high power Weatherby rifles are doing well. I think that while the Vanguards are selling well and that they are popular with a segment of the population that takes them and modifies them(ie changing synthetic stock).
I think that the recent Mark V deluxe rifles that I have seen recently for sale have some of the nicest walnut that I have seen. One in particular at Sportsman's Warehouse has a handle that might be worth more than 1000 dollars just by itself.

I think that Weatherby needs to come out with some new things that might catch and ride the growing sector of baby boomers who still have their jobs in this economic downtime.

I think that Weatherby needs to go back to vintage advertisments and move away from the $399 pricepoint adds. I think that they need to go to the global hunter who has to take one gun to do the job whether it be 30 yards in a jungle swamp to 500 yards on a mountainside. The Mark V will do it all. Quality starts right there.

I notice that Eddie Bauer has moved away from the Yuppie crap and has moved back to the old classic originals. I think that the Walmart Vanguard for everyman is very noble. But the everyman will sell his rifle when it gets tough. The more educated hunter will sell his dog and pickup truck before he sells his rifle. The rifle isn't a tool. It is much more than that it is an extension of that person's soul. It is the closest thing that a regular joe can get to something special. They may not be able to take a safari but they can own a safari rifle that is a one rifle-one world gun.

I will be very disappointed if Weatherby moves away from the Mark V. I think instead they need to repackage their Mark V and make a nifty smaller verson like the ultralight but with the really nice wood that they presently have. I know that I would buy one quickly. I would pay the 1800-2000 price point because I need a great sheep mountain gun in 270 or 280 Ackley improved but I hate plastic stocks. I just do. Sure they don't shift and are reliable but they don't say Weatherby to me.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:02:00 PM by Thomas »
Sincerely,

Thomas

Re: What's up with Weatherby rifles?
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
2010 seems to have brought a new lineup and from what i have seen they are a little more expensive and show me something of QUALITY that has not gone up! Most of the negative comments are from those that have never shot a Weatherby it seems and would complain about almost anything because the Weatherby is more accurate than anything they have owned. I know a Firearms Retailer that sells Weatherby all day that bought the 399.00 model 257 Mag and the target that came with it was 3 shot clover leaf and he has harvested a NM Speed Goat & a Bull Elk this year with it and he has not complained once about the stock or the price of ammo? He new what he bought and that is why he paid what he did for what he got and he seems really happy. since i paid 559.00 for my 257 SMOA and he is getting better groups than i, and i am getting 3/8" at 100 yDS. It seems some people can't deal with having a gun that costs groups more than others that will not out shoot the cheaper vanguard, i think most of that is in the shooter not being a proficient shooter and needing an out to blame something or someone. I think i might as well start the new year off with a 338-378 Accumark and do i have issue with 1799.00 for that rifle? Yes it is expensive but the ammo is also expensive which i also have issues with but it's the finest premium ammo loaded and yes it's 6 buck per round but how many rounds do you need to harvest an animal with this round? Only one as long as you do your part and originally being from Southern Arkansas i learned to throw up and let them rip and let them fall where they fall! People need to get over their chip on the shoulder i have issues with brand A &B &C &D &E rifles and complain about the rifles they shoot that have issues but will refuse to talk about them! You all know who you are and need to stop nit pickin the most accurate rifle out of a box! I feel better now but still shocked that someone could complain about a rifle that's guaranteed to get 1 1/2 to .99 groups  and majority of them get actual 3/8" to 1/2 groups at 100 yds. That's what is up with Weatherby Rifles!
http://www.weatherby.com/support/faq/latest/items
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Operation Desert Shield / Storm Disabled Vet

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
Okay guys let me tell you something. At 15 I was reading the Weatherby guide book looking at famous hunter's traveling all over the world with their weatherbys. It wasn't that I wanted one it was I had to have one.That day came in 1975 with my first purchase of a left hand 270 Weatherby Magnum. Gary Hamilton salesman at Eddie Bauer in Seattle Washington said don't wear it out the first weekend. Since then I have owned every Weatherby caliber from 2:40 on up to 378. All of them have been superbly accurate. And oh yes I have had the high grade custom rifles built by nationally famous stock makers. With their famous 17-point checkering style circassian Walnut stock with a London Oil finish. On a rare left hand action. Nice rifle but it is not and never will be a Weatherby Mark V Magnum.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »
Okay guys let me tell you something. At 15 I was reading the Weatherby guide book looking at famous hunter's traveling all over the world with their weatherbys. It wasn't that I wanted one it was I had to have one.That day came in 1975 with my first purchase of a left hand 270 Weatherby Magnum. Gary Hamilton salesman at Eddie Bauer in Seattle Washington said don't wear it out the first weekend. Since then I have owned every Weatherby caliber from 2:40 on up to 378. All of them have been superbly accurate. And oh yes I have had the high grade custom rifles built by nationally famous stock makers. With their famous 17-point checkering style circassian Walnut stock with a London Oil finish. On a rare left hand action. Nice rifle but it is not and never will be a Weatherby Mark V Magnum.
Welcome to the Nation!!!  The hard part about bringing up an old post is seeing posts by members who have gone to the great hunting grounds in Heaven.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member