Spike Camp

What's up with weatherby rifles?

barracuda

What's up with weatherby rifles?
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
First off let me say I'm a big fan of weatherby cartridges and I have a 300 wby in a Sako that lays the smack down on everything from speed goats to moose.

I have the itch for a 257 wby laser beam. Other than going custom on a 700, 70 or whatever action I'm only aware of the LSS remington, vanguard and mark V rifles that chamber for it. I have remingtons, winchesters, tikka, kimber, sako and custom guns. I don't mind spending money on a good rifle. I like the accumark but here is the problem. I have posted on several different hunting forums (24hour etc) and it seems I get the same response to the question concerning the accumark. The majority of people that answer my question as to whether or not I should buy an accumark say they hate the gun, love the cartridge.

My question is WHY do people hate weatherby rifles no matter where I seem to ask the question? What is it about accumarks that people hate so much? How can it be that a rifle that costs as much as an accumark does recieves so much bad mouthing?

I'm not here to start a flame war or any junk like that. I love the calibers and want a 257 it just seems wherever I post people talk me out of buying one and tell me to buy a cheap vanguard or custom build. I don't want another 2 lug gun with a 24 inch barrel. Got lots of those. I also don't feel like waiting a year for a custom. I just want to know WHY people hate weatherby rifles so much? What's the deal? Just looking for honest answers and I really don't know where else to ask.

rifle_man

Re: What's up with weatherby rifles?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:36:34 PM »
Why some people like the Vanguard or other guns over the weatherby Mark V wiil.
no.1 is PRICE
no.2 is some people thank if they buy a gun it should be able to shot any load, I have never had a gun yet that will shot any bullet i feed in to it they all like one type over the other I have a tikka that only likes Barnes tsx bullets in it. My weatherbys like barnes or nosler in them. I am not going to go over all my guns but you see my point.
no.3 is some people just like one brand of guns and that is all they like. like my father he will only shot a browning, I have tryed to get him to try other brands but at his age I am not going to push to hard.
I will say this I have Sakos,tikkas,brownings,kimber.savage,remington, and weatherbys
I will put my weatherby Mark V Deluxe and my Vanguard SUB-MOA up aginist any other gun I have.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:39:08 PM by rifle_man »

MooseHunter

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »
Barracuda your right and i dont know why either. Mention Weatherby and or Accumark on other sites and people seem to have a hate on for them for some reason. I am still waiting for my 257 accumark was promised 3 weeks ago  stilll no gun but thats not Weatherbys fault. I have read a few posts about lack of accuracy. I guesse maybe considering the cost of the mark v some people get real pissed off when the gun doesnt shoot up to expectations. It doesnt take to many people with bad experiences to sound real bad on line. Just my 2 cents here. At the cost of the accumark it should be a sub moa gun. Not a custom shop option. 1.5" guarentee doesnt sound good compared to a vangard sub moa. Not trying to start anything just my 2 cents.

kfrog

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »
The cost, I have one Mark V And two Vanguards and all there shoot SUB MOA but do i think the Mark V is worth the price not when you consider how good the vanguard is.
But when you consider there is a lot of gun makers that do not even give a Guarentee 1.5" guarentee is not bad so I dont think that is why someƂ  people do not like the Mark V. I have never seen one Mark V that with the right ammo in it, It would not shoot SUB MOA.
I THANK IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE PRICE.
And like rifle_man said some people just like other brands more.That is what makes us all
different. this is just my 2 cents. not trying to start anything.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:05:45 PM by kfrog »

barracuda

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »
So people bad mouth accumarks because of what they cost? Sako's arn't cheap either and I don't hear people talking me out of buying one of those. I have a hard time thinking people jump all over the weatherby because of how much they cost. Higher cost usualy implies better quality which is something gun nuts usualy are all over.

I also don't think it's the fact that they expect every single factory load to shoot perfect. Most people find one that shoots best or reload.

The fact that people all like different guns can't be it either since I don't see winchester fans jump all over a guy for buying a ruger.

What bothers me is that accumark seems to be something that people jump all over simply because it's a Weatherby. People don't bad mouth other guns like they do wby's and I would like to know why. Heck I WANT to buy one but I ain't hearing any reviews that are making me drop the cash on one. If I said I was out to buy a Sako I'd probably have 20 posts telling me how great theirs was and that I couldn't go wrong with one. When I asked the question about an accumark I got the opposite response. What gives.

rifle_man

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »
Ok I am sorry may be I don't no why people bad mouth the accumark but i do no this the Mark V is one very good gun.
And I have heard winchester owners bad mouth remington guns, Same as i have heard Browning owners bad mouth all guns but a Browning.
and for your info my sako 85 hunter cost me $500. dollars less than my Mark V Deluxe.
And no I would not talk you out of a sako but i will say this I like my Mark V more.
But that is just my 2 cent's and i am sorry for saying this but I am my own person I don't need someone else to tell me what is good or what is bad it sounds like you are looking for a reason to not like the accumark. and if that is the case don't buy one you will be the one losing out not me.

barracuda

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 07:37:05 PM »
I'm looking FOR a readon to BUY one but everywhere I ask about the gun people tell me NOT too. I want to know why that is. I'm not going to go drop 1600 bux on a rifle with people telling me not to get one without knowing why. Kind of like I wouldn't buy a car after asking on car websites if everyone told me not to get it.

Magnum 7mm

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »
I've owned Weatherby rifles for 31 years.  Many people have made negative comments about my rifles from day 1.  I shut several of them up by inviting them to shoot with me.  I think many people that speak "bad" about Weatherby are jealous.  Yes, the Weatherby Mark V is not cheap, and I am not wealthy.  I've had to trade, save, borrow and work to get the Weatherby rifles that I have.  They are what I want to shoot.  I think many "so called" shooters/hunters speak bad about Weatherby because they buy themselves a good ol' 300 Weatherby.  Many of these people have never shot a magnum rifle before.  Since they cannot handle the blast & recoil, they flinch like crazy when they shoot it and then swear the rifle in not accurate.  As far as accuracy of the Accumark, my personal rifle will shoot under 1" @ 100 yards all the time using the Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tip factory loading.  I have a pet handload using Hornady's 165 gr. BTSP that will form a tight cloverleaf @ 100 yards.  All of my Weatherby rifles will shoot around 1" @ 100 yards.  I guess it all boils down to what you want to shoot.  My Weatherby rifles never have failed me.  I've owned rifles from Winchester, Ruger, Browning, Colt, Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin and H&R.  These other companies make good rifles, but Weatherby's are my favorite and always will be.  If you get an Accumark, I think it is safe to say, you won't regret it!

54deg

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »
I think your gor going to go to the range find someone who is not afraid of mark v rifles!And look,feel shouder and fire one. I know sako is no slouch rifle but your listening to people on the internet about a rifle they dont own or have never fired! The weatherby mark is a fine rifle you must look for yourself (they are not for everyone) and you can settle for 257wby on another action!

JB257460

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
Mr. Magnum,

I agree 100% in what you said about Weatherby rifles.  I own a .257, 3 .300's, a .340, and a .460 and everyone of them will shoot an inch or better.  Some may think Weatherby is an elistist rifle but I can guarantee you can spend much more on a rifle and still do no better than A Weatherby.  It shoots at an inch and most will do sub-MOA and it's the strongest rifle action made.  What is there not to like?  Don't even mention price.  price is never a reason to not like something.  It's not about what you can afford, it's about what you choose to do without.  A cheaper rifle is always more expensive in the long run...especially if you try and sell or trade one for a Weatherby later on  ;D

CircuitRider

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 08:43:57 AM »
Very well put JB  ;D

barracuda

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ordered a 257 accumark. Hope it shoots!

CircuitRider

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
That is cool and let me say congrats.  Let us see pictures when you get it in and a lot of us can help with load data.    Happy for you Mike   ;D

phil

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »
Barracuda,

I really do hope your Accumark lives up to your expectations and then some. Let me say this: the 257 is one of the most accurate calibers that Weatherby offers, and if you are willing to be flexible on which load you are shooting, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see you getting Sub-MOA or better.
That being said, Thompson Long Range builds their 1,000+ yard rifle on an Accumark (30-378 for the kill power at over 1000 yards), it must be accurate. Now, you've said that people talk down on the accumark - I wonder if these people don't like the look, or the feel, or something else? The Accumark is a very distinct looking rifle, and one thing it is not is traditional. Some people will flame on and on simply because a rifle doesn't have a wood stock. Throw in the stainless, fluted barrel with blackened flutes and the rifle definitely has a look that most people either love or hate. Also, the rifle is heavy! If you put a half-way decent scope on your new Accumark it will tip the scales at nearly 12 lbs - no light-weight for sure. This can make it hard to shoot off-hand. But, let's be honest, how often are you going to shoot a 12lbd rifle totally off-hand? I know I am going to either hit the deck with a bipod/shooting sticks, or I am at least going to find a tree-branch. It's not a lightweight mountain rifle, if that's what you want, buy an ultralight.
Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying "yes, some people don't like it for various reasons, but I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything!"

FJR

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »
Howdy,

Years ago, before I ever owned a Weatherby, I found lots of reasons not to like Weatherbys. The major one was my lack of funds to own one. Why buy a Weatherby when I could buy two Rugers? I spent lots of time at the range getting those Others to shoot as accurate as a Weatherby, but what the heck. When I finally traded into my first Weatherby, I have never looked back and now hoard and prefer Weatherbys.

I still occasionally buy and trade the others but I tend to hang-on to the Weatherbys. Bottom line; guess I was jealous of those who owned Weatherbys. I have had Weatherbys that needed a little tender loving care to get preferred performance, but as a whole, Weatherbys just are more accurate.

Just my $0.02, I might be wrong. ::)