Spike Camp

What's up with weatherby rifles?

M.Marshall

Re: What's up with weatherby rifles?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »
I have attached two reasons to like the Mark V Accumark.  Remember, these are full throtle hunting loads.  I have shot elk, mule deer, kudu, eland (ranged at 440 yards) etc. etc. with this 340.  Enough said...

M.Marshall

eweatherby

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »
barracuda..Congratulations on getting the Accumark.  I know you won't be disappointed.  The Accumark is our best seller in the Mark V line and is one heck of a rifle.  Let us know how you like it!

Ed Weatherby

drbobc

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »
Well I love my weatherbys and I have been shooting rifles for 40 years. One of the better ones I won is a 26 inch 240 weatherby. Jim Clark is doind the stock and a local gunsmit will blue it for me so despite being about 50 years old, it will look spectacular and shoot accordingly. Jim knows how to make a weatherby look and shoot properly. Means I will have a 240, a 257, a 270, a 7mm a 300 and a 30-378 which Jim has put a wooden stock on. Thinking about getting Jim to put a stock on 338-378. I like the accumark but prefer wooden stocks (probably reflects my age :-)). Thing that gripes me is I could have bought some early weatherbys in the 60s and could have retired years earlier.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
Over the years I have sighted in countless rifles for people before hunting season.  I have shot many Weatherby's in most calibers and I own several Watherby rifles.  Without question,  on average the Weatherby rifles are more accurate than the other brands.  I have shot some very accurate customs of different makes, but none of them have shot any better than a couple of Accumarks I can think of.  The first one was a 7mm STW Accumark my uncle bought after having a lot of trouble from a Winchester Custom Shop STW.  I had the pleasure of shooting this gun on the range I believe with some 140 grain ballistic tips loaded by A-Square.  The rifle always shot less than half inch groups with a fixed 6 power scope.  I always thought I could really make that rifle show off with one of my scopes.  The other Accumark that comes to mind is my .257 that my Dad bought for me for college graduation.  This rifle is a freak and a pleasure to shoot.  It is for the most part a legit quarter inch rifle with 100 grain ballistic tip handloads.  I have shot many 5 shot groups with this rifle that a dime would cover without seeing any torn paper around it.  I have found that people who talk bad about Weatherby rifles have no experience with them.  It seems to be passed on by word of mouth from moron to moron.
BPH

bmullis

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »
I don't know much about Weatherby rifles. The only thing I do know is that people do like to bad mouth them. I know that the .257 is one flat shooting cartridge on the ballistic charts.....and I want to own one.  I would like to get a Weatherby sub-moa, but there are certain things that I don't like about it. For one you can only get the vanguard with 24" barrel ? I feel like it should have a 26" barrel. I also wonder why the barrels aren't free floated? I'm not about to spend twice the money for a Mark V for 2 more inches of barrel.....I just dont think it's worth it. I can buy a Remington 700 stainless fluted 26" barrel CDL chambered in .257 wthby for the same money as a vanguard. I just think if your going to buy a gun chambered in a .257 why would you want to loose velocity with a shorter barrel....dosen't make sense to me even if it is only about 60 fps per inch.             

drbobc

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 05:37:53 AM »
I likewise like longer barrels but not necessarily weatherby barrels. You can get custom barrels veri easily and they are not that expensive, Lilja for example and you can get it chambered for what you wish and placed on the rifle. It will be accurate that is for sure

jocko

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »
Iam by no means an expert on Weatherbys ,and have owned 4 in the last twenty two years ,this is just my view point,, right or wrong ! When Roy Weatherby came up with his New Ideas ,hunters were still very conservative about their rifles and beliefs on hunting rifles ,Weatherby rifles were very flashy ,perhaps gaudy, and many people preferred classic conservative rifles, without inlays, monte carlo stocks, etc ,maybe Roy Weatherby came across[to older hunters] as a young upstart know it all,trying to be a showoff, , and his rifles were for richer more flamboyant yet ,not '' Real Hunters'', more ''Fly by Nighters '' wanting to get into the then ''Fashionable'' lets go on a African Safari Scene ! in the 50s, 60s.Alot of people seem to have a, ''i dont like Weatherbys '' as they dont want to believe they are the ''Last Word '' on hunting rifles ,but want to hold on to what ever their own beliefs are, out of PRIDE .On some Forums like,  '' I cant hit the side of a barn forums'' from Arabia ,
 they will practically FLAT!!!!!!!!!! not answer any questions you might have on Weatherbys, which is so annoying, even private messages they will not answer !!!!!!!!!!! Well anyway i love weatherbys, for there tremendous value in the Vanguards!!! which i think is excellent to get a rifle for that price which is so good !! you cant argue with that !!! the performance from the Weatherby cartridges is excellent !! and my favourite is the 270 Weatherby magnum,an amazing round !!!!!! so who cares what the other dummies think ! they dont know what they are missing !!!!!!!!!

sp6x6

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »
The gun was way ahead of its time then, and they are just catching up to it now. You can look at all the new short mags, ultra mags, etc. And the are doing what was done years ago in a classic rifle. THAT is why the Weatherby has stood the test of time.It is hard to beat a Mark V in a Weatherby caliber, for ballistics, strength, looks, and value. I mowed lawns and bucked hay bales for my first Weatherby just a semi auto .22 , tube mag.Saw one in a gun shop used, it was twice what I PAID as a kid. You get what you pay for.

barracuda

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 09:36:06 AM »
Just a quick note. I picked up my Accumark in 257 today. I'm very pleased with the fit of the rifle and the quality of the parts. Time to figure out what kind of scope to put on it (I have a Leupold 3-9 and a weaver 3.5-10 but I might want something with a bit higher magnification) and then go to the range and see how it shoots.

pwillie

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »
I love the weatherby ammo by norma.I have several custom weatherby rifles,from model 70 winchesters,and hart match grade barrels with the boss.I like the winchester action,and the hart barrel in 257 weatherby..also the 300 weatherby on a winchester frame and hart barrel,very accurate.Two in the same hole @ 200 yds.excellent rifle.Severel over 400yds kill on whitetails.Neck shots.Anybody on this site with this type rifles?

drbobc

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 04:46:04 AM »
I think people dislike weatherbys for the strangest reasons. I recall vividly the arguments over the use of a 35 whelen versus the 300 weatherby. I never understood the issue. I mean necking a 30-06 to 35 caliber just sounds stupid to me. I love the 300 weatherby I have and will not trade it for sure. Having read a lot of history concerning Roy Weatherby I know why he developed the 300 weatherby. The man was also the consumate salesman and would fix a rifle for nothing if the fixing would give him new customers. Simply put -- I think people dislike weatherbys because of their success. Yet, you can take a classic weatherby, have the stock worked on and have the rifle reblued to a crisp shine and people will buy it in a flash. You take a classic winchester and do the same and the value goes down. In fact, if you have a weatherby worked on by Jim Clark, a wood stocked rifle will shoot as well as an accumark and look a lot better as well. Jim has done a 30-378 restocking for me and it looks great. Rifle will be reblued soon and put back together. Next will be a redoing of a 26 inch barreled 240. Then it will be on to my 270, 257, 7mm and 300. They are all going to be accurate with decent scopes. After all that, I will work on a 338-378 and a 224. Way I look at it, if folks pick on Weatherby, let them. The last laugh will be mine.

Cu-Melter

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »
Owning a Weatherby should have its perts!!
When the others are taking time to bad mouth your Weatherby....just sit back and grin.
Kinda like the 220 Swift conversations of old.
Bad cartridge.  But damn sure worked well, didn't it.
Being a Swift fan for 30 years, nobody will tell me what I SHOULD purchase.
Roy hit it right on the money back then.  It re-defined what a rifle should be.
Being a fan of strength, three actions come to mind-

Ruger M77 Mark II
Weatherby Vanguard
Weatherby Mark V

Being a fan of accuracy, three actions come to mind-
Weatherby Vanguard
Winchester Model 70 Push Feed
Weatherby Mark V

I'm not a wealthy person financially.  It does my heart glad that Weatherby offers the Vanguard.  And yes...There are those that will make remarks about my weatherbys all the while their tongues are hanging out and smackin' their lips with desire.
Quite comical to say the least.
Then I've met people that never even heard or seen a Vanguard.  I've made them customers of Weatherby since.
My favorite analogy:
Vanguards are REFINED Remingtons.

drbobc

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 09:55:16 PM »
Basic issue it seems to me is that everyone is flocking to the vanguard rifles because they are cheap. Does this make them better than the Mark V. Someone needs to do the following test. Lodge a bullet in the vanguard barrel and then fire the rifle (remotely of course) and see if the rifle survives. I suspect it will not but the Mark V will since Roy Weatherby did the exact same thing to prove the strength of the Mark V. Ever wonder what will happen to Weatherby if remington decides to come out wity cheap rifles. Vanguard will not stand a chance. THis is of course my opinion but I do know folks will trust a remington over a weatherby.

.257Shooter

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 12:07:01 AM »
That bullet lodged in the barrel test has been done on the Vanguard or Howa or whatever you want to call it. The Swedes did the test and the Howa passed with flying colors. Other rifles brands were not so fortunate. If I remember correctly Remington 700, Browning A-Bolt and possibly Win 70 pretty much just blew up, into several pieces. I am not bashing these brands because some of them I own and like very much and trust them enough to let my kids shoot them. But I did see this test performed and the results were as described. I don't think Weatherby is worried about what Remington is up to. It's most likely a good thing for W that they are chambering the .257 in the cdl sf and the lss. I like my Remington rifles and shotguns but I really don't care for that model 710 or 770. The rifle just seems like a mis-fit. Your mileage may vary.

.257Shooter

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 07:26:54 AM »
Sorry, the Model 70 was not part of this test. It's Swedish but easy to understand.

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350