Spike Camp

What's up with weatherby rifles?

Cu-Melter

Re: What's up with weatherby rifles?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 08:36:37 PM »
I concure.
The test worked well with audiences...from a marketing standpoint.
But given the nature of freebore...one can start to see some forgiveness.
Sure the Mark V will handle it. 
So will Ruger No.1 and M77
And you can bet the Vanguard will.
Again- the Vanguard is a Rem 700 on steroids.
Too much value for the money.
Thank you, Ed, for givinig us the Vanguard and working close w/Howa.

drbobc

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
I'll be damned I did not know the howa was subjected with the same test and am glad it passed. Howa of course is currently made in Japan while the Mark V is made in America. As Ed Weatherby told me, the cost of the Mark V has skyrocketed while the vanguard has been kept under tight control. I still prefer the Mark V. Maybe it is because I like 26 inch barrels (actually up to 30 is ok) and the overall quality of the Mark V.

Cu-Melter

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 05:32:08 AM »
I'll be damned I did not know the howa was subjected with the same test and am glad it passed...
I'm not aware of the same stunt being performed w/a Howa action.
But I feel confident enough that if I were asked to perform the same demonstration (that Roy did decades when) with a Howa...
I would not hesitate in the least bit.

Remember that the key components (besides the action's integrity) are the barrel itself and the amount of freebore that's present.
This freebore will act as a pressure dump with the stunt we're speaking of here.
If you load your own, you've probably noticed over the years how the throats of all rifles have slowly increased in length.
This is a safety valve (to speak) for american gunmakers today....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:36:34 AM by Cu-Melter »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »
The lodged bullet test was done on a variety of rifles.  Here is a link to the videos.  The whole thing is in Swedish, but you'll get the point, I'm sure.  I was amazed at the differences in the various makes of rifle.

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Cu-Melter

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
Good Link, Dubyam.
You're on it, Hoss.

The Browning and Remington just flat out 'Gave Up The Ghost" ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:31:26 PM by Cu-Melter »

Marc

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »
I can't imagine anyone not liking an Accumark. Maybe it's the cost of factory ammunition in Wby calibers. Buy one in a standard caliber if that is an issue.

Another issue may be the weight. Light weight guns in big calibers are all the rage. An Accumark with a scope is going to get close to 10 lbs. For a 30% more money, you can get a full custom gun in a medium caliber (.338 win) that weighs around 6 lbs. However, weight is actually an advantage in the field. It may hurt to carry it up the mountain, but when faced with a tough long range shot, a heavy rifle is a steady rifle. A steady rifle is an accurate rifle.

I love BMWs and Mercedes, but my wife will not let my buy one because of the negative image she has of snobby drivers of these vehicles. So I bought a Dodge Charger Hemi. What do you know, It is the last model E series Mercedes with a Hemi engine for 1/2 the price of a Mercedes. Sort of like the automotive version of the Vanguard.
.243 MK V Synthetic
.340 MK V Accumark

drbobc

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 06:32:18 AM »
Well I for one like a wooden stock. Embedded properly, the rifle will shoot as accuartely as an accumark. You are correct about the weight issue. The heavier the rifle, the more accurate. Dan Lilja has written extensively on the issue. Light rifles have more recoil and can drive you absolutely nuts. Been there and done that. It is important to have a rifle that you can tolerate very well or you will get the absolutely worse case of flinches and jerks you have ever seen and ones that are hard to get rid of. Ever wonder why a 460 weighs 10 pounds? You could probably get a custom one at about 8 pounds and would have to go to the dentist every time you shot it to put the fillings back in your teeth; or God forbid, you might swallow your dentures. If you look at custom long range rifles, you can find target versions that weigh up to 50 pounds (Check out the book Precision Accuracy at 1000 yards) just for stability and accuracy. Course you would never take such a rifle hunting but the point is still the same.  When the Mark V was developed, great pains were taken to make everything as strong and accurate as possible and Roy succeeded very nicely.

CircuitRider

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 06:28:04 AM »
Yes, Roy did succeed very well indeed.

rahtreelimbs

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
I just bought my first Weatherby....a vanguard sub MOA in 257 Roy. I like Weatherby rifles and would love to have a MK. V but like a lot of people I can't afford it. If I could I would have several!!!

HuntinAl

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 09:10:41 PM »
This has been a very interesting topic.  My hunting buddy has shot a 300Wby forever and loves it.  Our other friends whom hunt with us always made fun of the weight and muzzelblast, yes myself included,  but guess who was called upon to make the long shot...and he delivered!  About 3 years ago he started talking about the WBY 30-378.  At first I thought it was a bit over the top as it was heavey, loud, and noisy...or so I was told.  I always seem to be looking for that "one" rifle I can have an intimate relationship with and so started looking into it.  Well, over that time span my mind had been changed.  First of all, I just bought one and am in the process of getting it set up.  The recoil is no more that a 30-06 but it is louder  than the average rifle given the muzzelbrake.  Hearing protection is a must.  Yes it is heavy compared to the ultralights coming in around 11 pounds or so.  I primarily  hunt on foot in the mountains so this was a concern.  One of the first things I noticed was the balance.  Better than any rifle I've had and I've had my fair share.  Of course, much opinion is simply determined by personal choice.  I'm 54 and have decided it's time to get into decent shape so that weight issue is taken out of the eqtion.  America is a great place to live...we can all have different opinions.   It's ok to like something else.  It doesn't mean you have to bash the other options so intensily..  Another interesting thing I've notice among a majority of the bashers is this.  When you read the forums, if you read their opinions closely, you'll notice they have never owned or shot whatever rife it is they are bashing.  Alot of the verbage is "I've heard this or that" about this rifle therefore I don't like it.  Anyway, just some thoughts.

jorg243

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
I found why alot of people dont like Weatherbys is because of the rifle stocks.Would be nice to see some come out with rounded forends and straight butt stocks or maybe a nice realtree hardwoods or  mossy oak from factory.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:13:26 PM by jorg243 »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »
I have to argue, with regard to the stocks, that form follows function.  I have a 270Wby Mark V synthetic, and it doesn't recoil as bad as a friend's 7mmRemMag in a factory Remington stock.  The two guns should be dead on in recoil, as they are just about identical in terms of cartridge, bullet weights, powder charge, and velocity, as well as rifle weight overall (he has a heavier scope on his gun than I do one mine, so they balance out).  Anyway, the stock design is part of what makes the guns so shootable, as well as part of why they are so inherently accurate - the design lends itself to stable shooting and proper shooting form.  I'd convert everything I have to them if I could!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

CircuitRider

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »
+1 on what dubyam said about the stocks.  Roy knew what he was doing there also.  If anyone would want to feel the difference then shoot a Ruger #1 300Wby mag which weight pretty much the same as a Mark V and you will know why the stock on the Weatherby's is the right choice.

jaeger777

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »
The most vocal complaints against Weatherby do usually come from people who a) never owned one, b) can't afford one and won't do what it takes to get one, or c)repeat something heard from persons a and b.  I have 2 Accumarks.  One in .300 Wby and one in .340 Wby.  Both shoot better than any other rifles I've ever owned.  I'm not wealthy either.  I just recognize quality and did what it took to get them.  I'll do it again too.  No inexperienced shooter has any business shooting a magnum cartridge.  If you choose to do so don't blame the rifle for your lousy shooting.

Ron T.

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
Ah man after my own heart, I have three weatherby rifles. I fell in love with a balistics card at about 14 years old on 257 Wby. Some 20 years later I bought a mark v synthetic as cosmetics are not important to me. I fallowed that up with a 300Wby. also a synthetic with a flutted barrel. Then in the intrust of knocking them down farther away then a man should I bought a 30-378Wby mark v accumark .I shoot Barnes bullets in all of these rifles with great performance.Wouldnt trade those three rifles for a truck load of all the others combind!  I do however have one complaint, nothing aggravates me more then to pick up a fine weatherby drilling machine and find it chambered in one of those silly winchester or remington calabers. If your going to spend your hard earned money on a quality rifle have the respect to buy it in a quality cartridge.