Spike Camp

Glock 21 with storm lake 10mm conversation

Jamesrapley

Glock 21 with storm lake 10mm conversation
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »
Just curious if anyone one here has had any experience with this conversion I really want a 10mm but dislike Glocks unsupported barrel the storm lakes are fully supported and I like that its a ported barrel
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:33:34 PM by Jamesrapley »

NWmontucket

Re: Glock 21 with storm lake 10mm conversation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:27:34 PM »
I don't have any experience with this but I would like to try it. I have a 21 and that would be a great conversion to a snappier caliber. If you do get one let us know how it turns out.

Jamesrapley

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:18:25 AM »
I don't have any experience with this but I would like to try it. I have a 21 and that would be a great conversion to a snappier caliber. If you do get one let us know how it turns out.

Will do im really considering it

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
I have a Glock 20sf. I have a standard barrel on mine. I have been wanting to get a different barrel as well. Not that there is anything with the accuracy with my barrel I have in mine but I have seen a lot better accuracy from the lone wolf, storm lake and another brand which I cannot think of right now, KKM I think? I would love to hunt with mine but they say the case length is to small for here in Indiana. Lord knows it is plenty powerful enough. I want to get a 29 as well. I always wanted a 10mm just like I always wanted a .257. The 10mm is bad ass for sure! Maybe one of our nation members would some day invite me on a hog hunt or a doe hunt to try it out on a critter.
My brother in law is using the 21 now as his duty gun.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Jamesrapley

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
I have a Glock 20sf. I have a standard barrel on mine. I have been wanting to get a different barrel as well. Not that there is anything with the accuracy with my barrel I have in mine but I have seen a lot better accuracy from the lone wolf, storm lake and another brand which I cannot think of right now, KKM I think? I would love to hunt with mine but they say the case length is to small for here in Indiana. Lord knows it is plenty powerful enough. I want to get a 29 as well. I always wanted a 10mm just like I always wanted a .257. The 10mm is bad ass for sure! Maybe one of our nation members would some day invite me on a hog hunt or a doe hunt to try it out on a critter.
My brother in law is using the 21 now as his duty gun.

Ya my uncle's have the 20 as well and they love it although ive shot theres more than them I went and blasted some gophers with one over the summer playing with the laser it was a blast im just thinking I can have two calibers if I did the 10mm conversion on the 21(45acp) idk if the conversion will work on the sf frame if I do it I will be changing the spring to a 17# and the guide rod to a stainless steel one

zonie

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:11:40 AM »
Not sure why you need a fully supported barrel on a 10 mm ?  10mm cases are generally beefie to begin with although I have had a few bulged cases on my raced up delta elite.  My bad for using hopped up faster powders.   If you want to hot rod a 10mm get a ramped barrel with max support.  There is a misconception concerning fully supported,  there is more supported or less supported  barrels pertaining to automatics i.e. a certain amount of radiused or relief area for the ramp and  extractor,  your more supported barrels will encase the web section of the case more.   Different gun and barrel makers have different amounts of support.  Easy way to tell is pull the barrel and drop a case in and measure,  then measure where the web section of the case starts,  remember various brands of cases the web section is not always the same.  Other options in 10 mm are Kimber, Colt, Smith & Wession 10 series,  Tanfoglio, Glock as stated and Smith & Wesson model 610 revolver,  there are a few other lesser known.    You want bad ass get one chambered in 10mm then get an additional barrel for 9x25 Dillon.   Porting lessens velocities assuming the same barrel lengths of non ported barrels,   but keeps the muzzle rise down during rapid fire  follow up shots.   I don't know anyone who can rapid fire a full power 10mm without praying and spraying at any longer distances  other than belly close,  and keep all the shots in a decent group vs the speed and accuracy of a smaller 9mm, 38 super, 9x23 , or 38 super comp.   The 10mm can't compete with a 40 cal for cycle times even if the 10mm is re-springed down to 40 cal levels i.e. due to increased case length of the 10mm and overall mass.    The 10 mm is great for a backup in hunting country in an emergency,  smaller deer  and game animals at close range.  In it's full power form It's not a beginners gun unless you are plinking/serious practice i.e. willing to learn until you  build up speed and accuracy.   I would highly advise getting fully adjustable sights. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:45:37 AM by zonie »

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:44:03 AM »
I really can't tell that much difference between the 10mm and .45. I seem to handle mine pretty easily.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

zonie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
A lot of perceived recoil from a 10mm or any more powerful handgun  is from the gun itself and how it fits you as a person along with the weight of the gun,  the loads it's self,  how much muzzle blast,  etc.   everyone is different.   From a gun to gun comparison using a std 1911 gov'n models one in 45acp the other 10mm  I can tell a noticeable recoil difference when working at the upper  safe ends.   Personally I think the 10mm is one of the more versatile cartridges out there for semi auto's.  You can always re-spring it down to suit your needs.   Before 40 cals became popular I was using mine for competition to be a little different than the std 38 super or 45 guy's,   I was shooting next to the great one on a fun steel match and all he said to me  was you are very smooth, but do you think you got enough powder in that thing ?  Full power 10 mm using 200 grain bullets was flat hammering  steel poppers.    At that time he was playing with a 9x25 Dillon with a very lite bullet just screaming fast for a handgun.     After that I re-springed to just make major and switched to 155 grain bullets basically it was to what the 40 cal would become  power wise.   I think if I were to buy a new one today it would be a Glock and have a 9x25 barrel installed and load max with 115's or 125's @ 1700 to 1800 fps.   I'd keep the stock 10mm barrel and leave it in the safe for day's I wanted more bullet weight. 

Jamesrapley

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
I already have 4 pounds of blue dot and 400 rounds of new brass and 200gr hornady bullets so ammo isn't a problem

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Sure doesnt sound like any issues for loading components.Good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
I am a rifle guy, not a pistol or revolver guy, but I have a few pistols and revolvers.   I have a Glock 20 SF that I bought primarily as a hunting pistol.  Mine shoots great and is quite accurate.  I am used to big handgun calibers.  I WOULD NOT let a newbie shoot it.  I saw that Glock sells a one inch longer barrel for the 20, which I would get, just to have a little more FPS.  I have one ported handgun, a Taurus Titanium snubnose .357 revolver.  I showed it to a buddy of mine that is a certified handgun and CHL instructor.  He DESPISES ported handguns.  He took a tactical handgun course once, where one of the shooting positions was laying on your side, prone on the ground.  The guy to his left had a ported handgun, and every time he fired, he showered my buddy with sand and gravel.  He found out later, that this specific course instructor would not allow ported handguns for that reason.  Having said that, if I were in a dire situation, and having to shoot on my side, prone on the ground, there probably would not be someone on the ground to my right, so I don't think it's a big deal if your handgun is ported or not.  I DO want to get an aftermarket threaded barrel for one of my Glocks so I can shoot more quietly.  I already legally have the other end of that equation.  MM

Jamesrapley

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 08:32:26 PM »
Called stormlake this morning