Spike Camp

Vanguard S2 ejection Problem (Some of the time)

dan100

Vanguard S2 ejection Problem (Some of the time)
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
Hello there, I am new to this board and have a question I hope you can help me with. I bought a new Vanguard S2 SS in 257 WBY a couple of weeks ago. Got to shoot this past weekend. Amazing accuracy after only 12 shots. My problem is this. About 40% of the time the spent shell casing will not be thrown clear of the magazine well. It just lays on top after cycling the bolt. We didn't really notice this at first because we were cycling the bolt slowly to retrieve the spent casings. After a few rounds I noticed the problem and tried to cycle the bolt with a spent cartridge and at first all of them failed to eject clear of the magazine. I got home and fitted a spent shell in the bolt face and it seems to fit OK and the claw extractor is grabbing it fine. I tried stretching the claw extractor slightly with an empty shell and that seemed to improve things slightly. However I still get failures over half the time. The funny thing about this is a live round ejects fine. Help from anyone is appreciated. I am wondering if this is just a break in problem and something that will get better over time as the action is cycled. Or do I need to have it repaired?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:47:49 AM by dan100 »

eford

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard S2 ejection Problem (Some of the time)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
Cycle the bolt fast, not slow, and pull the bolt all the way back. Don't stop thinking you have pulled it far enough.

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

ccc23454

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
clean/oil ext spring and bolt face and make sure you fully cycle the bolt.  If you have a one piece scope base make sure your brass aint hitting it when trying to eject also.

dan100

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »
I have cleaned and oiled the bolt face. I am also cycling the bolt fast and slow and pulling the bolt all the way back. I do think it has something to do with the spring in the extractor claw cause it got little better when I stretched it with an empty shell. I really appreciate you guys replying.

ccc23454

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »
call weatherby customer service when in doubt, they are good to work with just busy sometimes but they will make it right.  good luck let us know what happens

Monday through Thursday 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (PST) at (805) 227-2600

chris