Spike Camp

How many duck hunters on here?

How many duck hunters on here?
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:21:39 AM »
I don't see a lot of activity here and was curious to know how many waterfowlers are lurking around here?

eford

• View Profile
Re: How many duck hunters on here?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:32 AM »
I'm a former duck hunter. Its that way because the isn't water in the ponds anymore. No water, no ducks, and I'm not driving for several hours to be in the same wetlands area as everyone who knows the ducks are there vs where they were when we were kids.

I loved jumping ponds with my dad. We always got something. I used a bolt action Savage .410 gauge with a fairly long barrel, or so it seemed at the time, and it was my lucky gun.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:38:58 AM »
Only went one weekend last year. On that trip I bagged 25 Mallards.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »
I'm a third generation rice farmer in Arkansas duck country, and yes, I duck hunt.  The best green timber duck hunting on the planet is right here in my stomping grounds.
BPH

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »
Well, at least there are a few of us here. I mainly hunt the coastal sounds of NC for divers and sea ducks, with a few bottomland hunts for woodies thrown in as well. 

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
I was raised in Camden, Arkansas and would hunt the Skatter's back in the day !! aka Bayou Meto but when I was hunting it ya just walked in no limit on people or any payin  to hunt ! That was back in the early 70's. Would also hunt the Duck Commanders Flyway but about 100 miles North of West Monroe up around Tulip Creek on the Ouachita River ! Boy I would really enjoy a good old duck hunt with them turning your hat sideways trying to land on top of ya! Might have to go back home for White Tails and I might even do some sky bustin with my SBE11 if my shoulder would survive !
http://www.weatherby.com/support/faq/latest/items
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Operation Desert Shield / Storm Disabled Vet

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:33 AM »
NMARKANITE!

Get rid of the SBE and buy a gas gun.  It will save the shoulder, or at least help it out a little. I sold my SBE to a friend and bought a SX3. I can shoot 3" all day and it doesn't bite .  ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
Back in the day we shot 2 3/4 inch without any issues of course it was lead back then but did the job dropping just about anything ya pointed it at ! I only have 5 shotguns and the SBEII would be one of the last to go unless I took it hunting and it acted up ! Rio Grande is a major flyway as we have a lotta birds that winter here just south of us aways down river! I wanta go geese hunting duck hunting and sand hill crane hunting everyday as the are not pressured here in town and can be seen wintering here daily ! Boy it's tuff not going stupid on them rite here in town!! Big boys can take and soak up some recoil but I do have issues with geese loads in that shotgun as that is what I used to break it in with and that was not fun!
http://www.weatherby.com/support/faq/latest/items
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Operation Desert Shield / Storm Disabled Vet

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
One of my hunting buddies was shooting 3.5's out of his SBE. It was ugly at both ends.  :D   

He got rid of his too. I'm shooting 3 inch BBB's through my SX3 without any trouble at all. Both geese and swan.  I defer from a 3.5" shell in a 12 gauge. I just don't see the need.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »
You guys know why I shoot a 3 1/2''?  Cus they don't make a 4''!  I love the SBE's but I used to shoot 3 1/2'' over/unders a lot.  They kick like a mule!  I guess if I ever grow old I might step away from the 3 1/2's!
BPH

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
I am with you Blake.I shoot 3 1/2s also.Same as shooting high recoiling rifles.Some are sensitive and others are not.Shoot what ever one is comfortable with.I am sticking with the 3 1/2s.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
I wouldn't trade my SBE for any waterfowl shotgun. Northern Minnesota in November makes single shots out of all gas guns. Not trying to ruffle feathers but I'll take a little extra recoil for bang, bang, bang, every single time from the Benelli.
" If your going to put a hole in something, make it a hole to be proud of "

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 07:53:58 PM »
I've never seen a gas operated shotgun be what I would consider reliable here in Arkansas.  I always shot pumps growing up and then O/U's, but the Benelli's made an automatic shotgunner out of me.  If the Benelli didn't exist, I would be shooting a O/U still.  I'm amazed every year at the reliability of the SBE's even under extremely adverse conditions. 
BPH

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
I like to go out now and then. We have no shortage of ducks or geese but it is getting much harder to get permission to hunt these days. I shoot a 3 inch mag 12 gauge over under Churchill Monarch. Full choke top barrel, modified bottom barrel with a single trigger selector.
A Gun Is Like A Beer Cooler. It Should Be Fully Loaded Before Use And Completely Empty After.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 05:50:02 AM »
Just about every guide I've been with shoots a pump?  ???