Spike Camp

How many duck hunters on here?

Re: How many duck hunters on here?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
I do a fair amount of goose and duck hunting here in Wyoming on public land near Torrington. I use a Citori 3-1/2" with Hevi-Shot. With all the clothes I have on I don't think much about the recoil. :)
Arky

badsection

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »
First guide I hunted waterfowl with used a SXS in 12 gauge on what is now the Merkel preserve on the Patuxent River in Maryland in the mid 60`s.  Before that, I was the "dog" . Funny, I have never felt the recoil of anything I have fired at game. Hell, I don`t remember even hearing the report!  I`ll agree that pumps almost never jam!   I still have my dad's model 12 Winchesters!  When the first "all steel "laws" appeared, my dad bought a 10 gauge auto loader to skirt the law or shoved steel ball bearings down the gullet of birds we took to fool the game wardens.  Best retriever is a Chesapeake . Meaner than a bag of rattlesnakes and a "one" person dog!    ;D

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
Model 12's and Chesapeake Bay Retrievers!  It just don't get better than that!
BPH

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
I don't have a Model 12, but I do have a Chessie. She is one tough duck dog but a real sweetie. She never met a stranger.  :)

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »
Two Labs and a pickup full of shotguns! Quack, quack!
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

james7mmwby

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »
Just might be my favourite hunt. Not into geese but duck is so much fun. You gotta work hard and expect more lean days than full bags in my area but well worth it in my mind. I'm old school, hunt with a 3" 12g O/U. I can usually get my fourth round in the air before my buddies with pumps and semis, but they always beat me on the third.

James

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
I like to duck hunt but the past few years I didn't have time to do it.  Hopefully this year I'll be done with my have to get done list and have time to get out again.  When I started out I used my Remington 870 and Dad used his Belgium Browning A-5.  These days I still have the 870 and picked up an 1187 a few years ago that shoots very well.  I've been looking for an A-5 like Dad's in good shape for a decent prices but always seemed to get side tracked by another rifle or handgun.  I guess I'm just going to have to make a dedicated effort to find an A-5 and buy it.  Damn this want list never gets smaller, just keeps growing.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
I have hunted with my Orion several times in flooded timber for woodies but in a blind or a boat a O/U can be rather awkward.