Spike Camp

Vanguard S2 feeding problem. Has this been figured out?

Vanguard S2 feeding problem. Has this been figured out?
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
Hello, Nation.
I've got a Vanguard S2 in .30-06 that has a similar feeding issue as the one Bloodhound described last year. (link below) Before I send it back I just wanted to check to see if there was any new wisdom about this problem.

About one time out of 10, when the stripped cartridge clears the the magazine, it pops up into a bad angle and jams at the mouth of the chamber. As with Bloodhound's problem, it seems to happen mostly - perhaps only - with cartridges on lefthand side of the magazine. It seems to happen more when the bolt is worked over the cartridge once before the forward stroke. (i.e. less common on rounds just inserted w/ no bolt stroke.) It's happened with loaded Barnes Vor-Tx ammo and with good aluminum snap caps. (I can't remember if it happened with cheap hardball.)

Edit: In my snap-cap tests, I made sure not to short-stroke the bolt. This malfunction happens with a full bolt stroke.

I can and probably will send it back, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew the cause of this problem, since it's a simple, time-tested rifle design and might be a simple fix.

Thanks in advance from a Wby newby.
-WB

http://www.weatherbynation.com/spikecamp/conversation/1/vanguard-s2-out-of-box-feed-issues/msg93720/#msg93720
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:22:10 PM by Woolly Bugger »