Spike Camp

Recoil Reduction Recipe

Recoil Reduction Recipe
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »

I coupled the D.F. Maisey muzzle brake(from New Zealand)  to a .300 Weatherby shooting 85 grs. of Vih 165, so u have a good idea of the kind of recoil we r talking here, not the worst but heavy. In comparison, a 30/06 shoots about 52 grs. of powder

Anyway, I also coupled this build with a Blackhawk Axiom stock and went to the range with 30 rounds of ammo. I was able to sit and slam them thru one shell after another as fast as I could shoot and got up with NO adverse recoil effects. Absoultely none, I could've shot 30 more if I had the ammo handy, course the barrel was getting a bit warm!

The next day I had NO shoulder bruising, as is common with shooting any belted magnum I've ever shot.

I tip my hat to the crew at D.F. Maisey Gunsmithing in New Zealand for an outstanding job building muzzle brakes for belted magnums!

Watch their youtube video #4, it's AMAZING!

Re: Recoil Reduction Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »
you might have to put that muzzle break on a new barrel ;D

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Recoil Reduction Recipe
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
Sounds like a great solution to a recoil problem, but a test like that can have unintended consequences. Shooting 30 rounds in rapid succession once may not cause any damage immediately, but the immense heat in that barrel can accelerate throat erosion and reduce barrel life over time. I'm having a muzzle brake put on my 300 bee sporter, but rapid fire won't be part of my testing.
DosEquisShooter