Spike Camp

Elk hunting in E. Washington

Rigger28

Elk hunting in E. Washington
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone else on this site hunts in E.Wash. Thanks and God Bless.

Re: Elk hunting in E. Washington
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »
I did for many years but have been hunting Montana and Colorado since 2003. I will probably start hunting the Eastside again next season after I retire this fall, but going to CO again this year.
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

Rigger28

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:45:54 AM »
My  father has some land in NE Wa that we use as base camp during Elk season. We mostly hunt with our ML's and usually have very little competition but it seems like the last few years there are a LOT more hunters during rifle season than usual. Do you hunt the Thompson crick area in MT?

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
I have hunted mule deer out of the Bridgeport area the last 21 years and have done well, scored 3 of the last 4 years. have hunted Elk above Nile (camped at the Mt Aix trailhead) in the Wm O. Douglas wilderness area the last 30 years or so and did ok till the last 10 or 12 years. the Elk are not there anymore like they used to be since they moved the season from the 1st sat in nov. to the last sat. in oct and only 8 days long instead of 15 days. haven't hunted elk the last 2 years.
will be going to SE Idaho for Elk this year.
have hunted whitetail around the Evans, Wa area and might give that a try again this year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:35:56 PM by telemaster »

Hattrick

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:15:23 PM »
My father in law has land up in the Spokane area planing to head up and join him as soon as time permits, he's bagged dozens of mule deer and elk over the years.

Rigger28

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:45:53 AM »
Telemaster,

When hunting near Bridgeport did you ever harvest or see any of those elk with the elongated hooves? I have seen multiple articles about it in my RMEF magazines. I was just wondering if it is really the epidemic they are making it out to be. Thanks.

Rigger28

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 07:49:02 AM »
Hattrick,

I grew up near Spokane and the hunting there is really good if you are willing to get out of the truck and hump it. I plan on moving back and retiring there in about 8 more years. Hopefully the Elk population will maintain or increase.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
Telemaster,

When hunting near Bridgeport did you ever harvest or see any of those elk with the elongated hooves? I have seen multiple articles about it in my RMEF magazines. I was just wondering if it is really the epidemic they are making it out to be. Thanks.
haven't seen any Elk on the ranch I hunt which is east and south of bridgeport. am told the elk are usualy west of there.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:22:02 AM »
Rigger, no I hunted private land on the east slope of the Crazy Mountains north of Big Timber.   That hoof rot and deformation is limited to the SW Washington herd down by Mount St. Helens, not the E. Washington herds right now.   Never heard of too many elk by Bridgeport, WA.  Elk hunting in the Spokane area is a tough proposition these days.
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

Rigger28

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
WA mtnhunter,

The area I hunt is about 2 hours north of Spokane. There are elk but their population is pretty small and there is so much area for them to roam its hard to pin them down. We usually have a few in camp each year though.  We have been seeing more and more wolf sign each year though which is a concern.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 10:03:40 PM »
Rigger, no I hunted private land on the east slope of the Crazy Mountains north of Big Timber.   That hoof rot and deformation is limited to the SW Washington herd down by Mount St. Helens, not the E. Washington herds right now.   Never heard of too many elk by Bridgeport, WA.  Elk hunting in the Spokane area is a tough proposition these days.
I haven't seen any Elk around Bridgeport but am told they are west of there and believe they might be talking about the clokum herd.which actually would be SW.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:48:55 AM by telemaster »

Bastogne

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:59 AM »
I hunted the (E. WA) Newport area (113). Did well with whitetail last season, and not so great this year. Saw small batches of cow elk through the fields and plenty of does. The weather was warmer to me this year. Always enjoy that area!

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
at Bridgeport I didn't hunt opening day,went out sunday morning and shot a nice fat mule doe a little after 8 am(had a senior doe tag) back in camp by 11. the 5th deer in the last 6 years on that ranch.
stayed over there till thursday with the guys I hunt with and did a lot of fishing.

Rigger28

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 02:50:57 PM »
I hunted the (E. WA) Newport area (113). Did well with whitetail last season, and not so great this year. Saw small batches of cow elk through the fields and plenty of does. The weather was warmer to me this year. Always enjoy that area!

My dads property is in 111. My dads best friend shot a really nice bull on opening morning of ML season and my sisters husband shot a spike bull and a whitetail buck on the same day during bow season.