Spike Camp

bow hunting whitetail tips and pointers

lilhunter77

bow hunting whitetail tips and pointers
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »
Im starting out bow hunting deer and need some pointers I have nice arrows and an Dimond Edge bow. It works great and I can shoot a group of 6 in a 3in circle. I hunt deer with my shotgun and I have everything but I need tips. ???

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: bow hunting whitetail tips and pointers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
First of all, realize that bowhunting is somewhat different than gun hunting, even shotgun hunting.  You will very likely be tempted to hunt the same kind of stands you hunted with your shotgun, but that may or may not be productive.  Remember that with bowhunting, you need to be back off the field edge by a fairly wide margin, and you'll really have to get good at reading the deer sign to figure out where to set up, so you can get them in close enough to shoot.  Also, shooting a deer right at the end of legal shooting hours can be a real chore, when you have to get down and find it in the dark.  Just be prepared, with a good headlamp and plenty of patience, and good tracking skills.  I've been lucky so far in that none of my bow-shot deer have gone more than about 25yds, but I know folks who track them 400+ yards to find them piled up in some thick brush.  Practice judging distance, too.  I use a laser rangefinder, but only when I first get up in a tree.  I pick out landmarks and range them, making mental notes of distances in my 'shot lanes'.  So far, that's worked well for me.  Oh, and one more thing - get up the tree 20-25'.  Lower, and you'll get spotted trying to draw.  Higher, and you'll have too much angle and won't be offered a good shot, even broadside.  And get ready for some joyful frustration.  Bowhunting is great, but it will try your patience.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

lilhunter77

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
Thanks I have a 23' tree stand for bow hunting. Is that a good hight? Another thing is that If you can shoot better with your fingers than an rereise should you hunt with fingers?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
If you shoot better with fingers, sure.  I don't, and don't know many folks who can consistently do it with a compound.

As for your treestand, that's a great height, but it sounds like it is a single, fixed position stand (like a ladder or some such).  If so, consider getting some relatively inexpensive hang on stands and a set of climbing sticks, as you will want the ability to sit more than one place, unless you have some secret the rest of us don't know about in selecting a stand.  For the most part, I sit in any of about 10 different spots around a handful of bedding-to-feeding-to-bedding routes I have identified on some public land I hunt.  time of day and wind have a lot to do with my selection of stand sites.  I use a climber, since it's public land, but I'd use hang-ons if I had private land.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Selous

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »
I shoot with a Damascus glove,.....and although I can't shoot with the precision I've observed in some of the compound shooters using a release; I have been successful in taking several deer, turkey, other game by finger release. PRACTICE,....is the true key to doing so,....and aiming at a "spot". I shoot at 1" pasteys that I put on the target,.....and shoot distances out to 100 yards. It's the worse kind of FOLLEY to place your faith in distance shooting unless you are doing it weekly.  Thusly said,.....it can be done,.......and well when the disciplined mind, wills it and practices several days a week. Spend some time shooting up/down hills, and through brush,(this will cost you an arrow or two{dozen}), but; will also guide you with some confidence, in decision making in the field, when difficult shots are presented. I have observed many archers training on the range that I go to, shooting only at broadside targets, but would encourage all to train at quartering shots as well. In my hunting experience, (38 years), I've had as many shots at odd angles as I have broadside,....and I choose to avoid shooting into the shoulders of any large game unless the game is less than 30 yards from me. Keep your broadheads SHARPE,.......and if hunting on private land;.....offer some of any game taken to the owner's kitchen,.....you earn a generous name,......and a honest THANKS!

canuck

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:29:09 PM »
Getting up 20-25 feet is not that necessary unless you are hunting in an area without a lot of cover in the treetops.  My stand is only 15ft high and I have not been busted drawing the bow.  I have considerable coverage behind me to conseal my movements and they are slow and deliberate so as not to draw attention to myself.
Make sure you practice and I look forward to seeing what you harvest.
Take care.
Shane