Spike Camp

All around 300 wby round?

Re: All around 300 wby round?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
Would prefer a 180 gr Sierra GK.
There are as many answers to that one as there are reasons men hunt, fight, skydive, gamble or take up with redheaded ladies.

NRA Legacy Life Member
IHEA Instructor
NBEF Instructor
DU Instructor

Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »
I used the Hornady 180gr Interlock BTSP on my Shiras Moose, One shot DRT.
Molon Labe

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:25 PM »
180 gr. Nosler Partition either factory or handloaded.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 02:43:33 AM »
Everyone seems to have their own preference and that's usually from experience in the field.  I don't have a preference for a lot of weapons,  it depends on the size of game animal,  what kind of game animal,  ranges and impact velocities where the game is taken.    My choice for deer will most likely be different than my elk bullets.    I've had on more than one occasion had partitions come completely apart on elk because of close ranges and hitting hard bone,  whereas normally I would consider partitions as very adequate on the same animal when the ranges are increased and the bullet doesn't impact with such violence.  Some bullets because they are designed to come apart at relatively lower speed are not my choice at least on elk at any ranges where as they are completely adequate for thin skinned deer size animals,  although you may be using a super magnum and cause extreme damage to a lot of meat.  It is what it is guy's there is no perfect bullet for all applications.   One bullet may pass right thru and you end up chasing or worst losing the animal and another bullet may cause so much damage you lose more meat than you want.  I haven't personally lost an animal in 50 plus years of hunting,  but I've seen other people do it and we all ended up looking for it for hours and sometimes not finding it,  it does happen.  The best thing you can do is hit the animal in the right spot regardless of bullet type.  Use an adequate caliber with enough bullet weight to get the job done and you should be fine.   If you are hunting a tough animal such as bull elk with a lighter caliber and the elk is sitting on a ridge line about ready to bail off in a deep canyon I'll aim for the shoulder and break him down ,  blowing thru the second rib and taking out the front of the lungs,  they pretty much drop right there,  but you have to use  good enough bullet to penetrate.  You notice I didn't say caliber but rather bullet ,  I want that bullet regardless of caliber to break everything in it's path and exit if possible.  I've seen it and done it myself you hit an bull elk center mass and he bails off into a deep canyon   where mules won't go you won't do it again.   

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
Weatherby factory ammo 180gr TSX is all you'll need !
Maple Ridge,BC, Canada and when I can as many days as possible at our family cabin on Loon Lake,BC

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 08:05:21 PM »
Something about a 300 Weatherby just always seems to go in hand with a 180 gn load like several others have mentioned. Which bullet though is up to you and whatever one shoots good from your rifle. From the tough A-Frames down to the explosive SST's etc, with good shot placement it will have the power to put anything on this continent down other then maybe the biggest of Brown Bears where you'd probably want to stick with the tougher end of the bullet selection.
I know the Sierra GameKing seems dated in comparison to some of the new stuff on the market, however I know a couple of guys that have been Elk Hunting more then you could shake a stick at, and they won't load anything but the 180 GameKings in their 300 Wby's, and from my own experience, Sierras in almost any caliber I've tried, almost always seem the easiest to get great groups from.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 06:38:40 PM »
They do make a good bullet.Love the MatchKing for paper.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »
I would choose the TSX 180 gr factory load.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 03:49:09 PM »
For the money a 180 grain nosler partition is really hard to beat.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 02:06:30 PM »
My favorite bullet for my .300 Weatherby for everything from small African antelope to bull elk is the 168 grain TTSX.  If I was to go on an Alaskan moose hunt, I might bump it up to a 180 grain TSX/TTSX.
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 12:10:34 PM »
i have always been a interlock man 190 BTSP, used it in my Norma great results, probably work even better in the 300 Wby.

Mooseman31

• The mountians are calling and i must go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »
I've used a 180gr Nosler Partition.
My dad has used it in his 300wby for 30 years now, hunting moose,elk, and deer.
William.

Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 09:38:16 PM »
180 gr BTSP Hornady interlock..dropped my Shiras Moose like a ton of bricks.. DRT
Molon Labe