Spike Camp

Dove Opener

Dove Opener
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:28 AM »
Just curious to know how everyone did with a Labor Day dove opener? We normally limit out by noon but this year it was pitiful.

Re: Dove Opener
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:28:47 AM »
didnt even go, noon opener and hot as hell maybe next weekend if we get rain and cool down they are talking about i will give it a try.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:44:55 AM »
I wish we had a dove season here in Michigan. One was approved but immediately the tree hugging, liberal, peta types were out and got it put to a vote with all of there emotional, "you can't shoot the bird of peace" b.s. They had there fellow brain dead constituency believing we were going to blast the white doves into extinction, no matter how much the facts were presented(gray (mourning) not white doves, a huge population, most states have a dove season, etc., etc.) The same mentally challenged, clueless, vegetables they got to elect, then re-elect, governor Granholm, Detroit mayor Kilpatrick, and obama despite over whelming evidence of dis honesty, corruption, and incompetence. ???  

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »
Hey 11 Charlie, tell us how you really feel.  :D

I remember the Michigan controversy. We finally changed our opener to one-half hour before sunrise which makes it wonderful in regard to avoiding the mid-day heat. I had about 50-75 in front of the house this morning. The farmer is cutting corn so I may have to get up a litle earlier and sneak out before work and see if I can scratch out a limit. Dove Poppers on the Grill! Yum!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »
in VA we get a week of noon openers then shift to all day this weekend, those dove poppers do sound good.  we pop breasts out wrap in bacon marinade in Italian dressing and some shake garlic spices grill them till bacon is cooked and serve with cold beer next to fire.  had them with a piece of jalapeno under bacon one time and they were great but my acid reflux isn't a fan of those anymore unfortunately.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
Jeez guys, those recipes make my mouth water and it's torture as I can't actually enjoy them legally, without poaching, which is something I've always been dead set against. No matter how ill advised our dove ban is, it's still the law and it needs to be respected.(though I obviously don't respect those who got it passed!) My best Army buddy is from Georgia and I've heard many wild dove hunting stories. Unfortunately the times I visited were never in season. Georgia sure has a lot of fine residents though, some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
Stuff them with cream cheese, slice of jalapeno, and wrap in bacon over the coals. Easy way to get rid of acid reflux is cut back on your sugar intake. I had a severe case of it for years. I cut back on sugars (starches = sugars too) and my problem went away. Now I can eat peppers without any problems. But breads, rice, even potatoes can give me the "burn".  Meat and veggie diet.   I sure do miss the donuts and ice cream though.  :(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:13:18 AM by Downeast »

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
7 of us limited out on opening day in Kansas,  We found them coming to a water hole late in the afternoon.  The second day 4 of us worked hard to get 2 limits.  We filet the breasts and marinate them in worchestershire sauce overnight.Then put a small amount of cream cheese and  a slice of jalapeno pepper between the breasts then wrap 1/2 slice of bacon around them and grill until the bacon is crisp. Most of the time people are waiting for them to come off the grill.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:00:32 PM by Kado101 »
223 Rem Vanguard SS
240 Wby  MV synthetic
257 Wby  Vanguard SS
270 Win MV light weight SS
270 Wby MV synthetic
7mm STW MV synthetic
7mm Wby  Mag MV synthetic SS fluted
300 Wby  MV synthetic
300 Wby  MV ultralight SS
30-378 Wby  MV synthetic
340 Wby  MV synthetic
338-378 Wby  Accumark

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
Here is Georgia our opening day was last Saturday Sept 6th. We had a great shoot. It was very hot (it always is) but we couldn't load our guns fast enough. We shot a lot of doves and had a great time. Before the shoot we had Boston Butts slow cooked and all the fixins one of the guys smoked up. A great day with friends. Our shoot doesn't start until noon on opening day. I wish it was at daylight. After opening day we can shoot at daylight. I love opening day dove hunting, I just wish it was cooler. LOL.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »
I haven't tried dove hunting this year. The area I hunted opening day last year was so packed you couldn't spit without it landing on someone's shoe let alone find a safe direction to shoot. I waited about an hour just for the road jam to clear up then left. Never in a million years would I have guessed dove hunting could be so popular. I'll probably have to start venturing further out to find public access land that isn't so over run.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:04 AM »
Starting to get a few birds here at the house. We have about 50 acres of corn that they have started to pick. If enough birds show up we will need quite a few guns to cover the field. So, be ready to come on a moments notice.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
Well, can you believe another year has gone by and here we are again on Labor Day weekend and the opening of dove season. Didn't do to well this year. We hunted a public field on Saturday morning and around the mid-morning shuffle (some folks leaving, others arriving) we found corn scattered all over the end of the field. The field had originally been planted in millet. Since I didn't want anyone to get busted I called the GW's and they arrived and shut the field down. Kind of screwed up our day. I went this morning and shot a few more around the house and still had a good time with the dogs. Oh, I have to say I do love my old Orion II. That is one bird killing machine. 8)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
No joy for me.  Here in GA you have to pay to hunt doves, and my only source is Fryebaby, and I think he didn't go either.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 08:10:20 AM »
Late to the party here but we barely touched one limit (15) during the central zone opener. As expected, we murdered them in the south zone opener and everyone limits out on every single hunt down here most of the year. We've gotten a lot of the bigger Eurasians in recent years and there's no season or limit on those so we usually shoot them year round. The breasts on the Eurasians are the size of a Quail.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 08:25:02 AM »
DosEquisShooter