Spike Camp

what kinda recoil would you have with the 270wby in the mark v ultralight.

Tweeterman

once again looking for your expertise. i have the chance to go elk, muley, and antelope hunting next year in montana. but i dont really have a rifle in my battery that i would consider idea for this as ohio is a shotgun only state, so im looking to add another rifle to the safe. I do have an ultralight in 25-06 and an accumark in .257, but i have my eye on the .270 wby in the ultralight. my problem is recoil. I'm not overly sensitive to recoil as i can shoot extended amounts of 3" 12 gauge slugs and 3.5" turkey loads, the problem i have is that i am 6'7' and my length of pull is somewhere north of 15". standard length of pull scrunches me into the gun and i often end up punching myself in the nose with my thumb or smacking my eyebrow with the scope on uphill or prone shots with higher recoiling rounds. my accuracy starts to suffer right around the 30-06 and up. my question is, never having shot the .270 before, how much recoil would the .270 be in such a lightweight rifle? what would it be compared to? any input you fellas have would be greatly appreciated, as you guys always give sound advise about the weatherby's.

It would probably be like a .30-06 with 180 grain bullets in a standard weight rifle.  If that is too high of a recoil level, the best way to reduce that recoil (without adding much weight) is through the use of a muzzle brake.  It would be a good rifle for all three species you are going after.
JK

I use mine 270 Wby Mark V Ultralight for high country elk, mule deer and sheep, nice rifle in a great caliber. I find the recoil similar to a 30-06, so you should be fine.

Rob

dubyam

• View Profile
Since you have the luxury of time, you could get the ULW and order a replacement stock from Bell&Carlson with a longer LOP. Alternately you could order a B&C stock for the Fiber mark and end up with a rifle weighing in about a pound and a half heavier than the ULW but still around 9-9.5lbs ready to hunt if you keep the scope objective smaller than 50mm.

The recoil for the 270Wby is definitely 30-06 level, for reference.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

stanleygks

my neighbor has a TC Venture in 270 WSM that weighs in at sub-7 lb (without scope).  I did his load development and shot it 50 times during testing.  Recoil is at 30-06 level.  Since neck surgery, that's my high water mark for recoil.  I thought the kick was shorter and more abrupt than the 06. Quickest fix for LOP is a slip-on recoil pad like Kick-Eeze.  I've used that before.  Just be sure to anchor the pad with a few wraps of CamoForm stock tape where the sleeve ends on the stock.  Best thing as Dubyam said is a BC stock with a custom length of pull.
Good luck!

A 30-06 will typically have about 18 ft/lbs of recoil.  Weatherby says their 270 mag weighing in at 9.25lbs, shooting a 130gr SP will recoil at about 25.2 ft/lbs.  Installing their Accubrake will reduce the recoil similar to that of a 7mm-08 at around 11.8 ft/lbs.

However, DUBYAM is right.  You need to get a rifle that fits you properly.  You couldn't hunt in a pair of boots that are a size too small and you shouldn't have to twist and contort your body just to get off a shot.  Good luck to you.

NMARKANITE

I think you have your rifle in your hands already as that 257 will TCB, but I understand why you would want a 270 Wby ! Same reason I did and I tell you gunbroker has some really nice rifles online rite NOW!! I almost went blind looking at them last night and my FFL friend is getting nervous ;D
270 WBY only has 3 more ft lb of recoil than the 257 Wby!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:07:39 PM by NMARKANITE »

K80kid

Tweeterman,

I also agree with Dubyam reference gun fit.  I am 5'6" 165 lbs.  I have the 270 weatherby mag in an ULW Mark V.   I have shot around 100 rounds through it and can stand to shoot about 20-25 before I start to feel discomfort.  I purchased it for an Elk hunt in the mountains of Wyoming and could not be happier with my choice.  I am recoil sensitive and have come home from the range numerous times with a headache from shooting my 300 win mag.  This gun however does not ring my bell at all just fatigues my shoulder. 

I live in southeast michigan about 45 minutes north of the ohio border.  If you are close, you are more then welcome to shoot it.  I have a range in my backyard and just down the street. 

IronNoggin

... However, DUBYAM is right.  You need to get a rifle that fits you properly.  You couldn't hunt in a pair of boots that are a size too small and you shouldn't have to twist and contort your body just to get off a shot. 

Proper Fit is one of, if not THE most important parameter for shooting well.
Your absolute best bet will be to get a stock fitted that gives you your required LOP.

As for recoil, I find the 270 Wby to be quite mild in comparison with the 300 Wby. A tad more push than my standard 270 Win, along the lines of a 30-06 as the others have mentioned.

Best of Luck!

Cheers,
Nog

N8iV Warrior

Re: what kinda recoil would you have with the 270wby in the mark v ultralight.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 08:55:01 AM »
i have a 270 bee and agree it shoots like a 30-06 with larger bullets. little harder to see bullet hit animal due to recoil but definitely a great rifle.  i shoot barnes ttsx bullets and very deadly in my opinion. good luck

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »
If you are concerned about recoil, stick with the standard 9 lb Mark V and stay away from light rifles. I have a Mark V lightweight in .30-06 that that kicks like a rented mule. My 9.5 lb Fibermark .300 Weatherby isn't really for the faint of heart, but quite manageable.  My Mark V 7mm Weatherby is a tad lighter with a 24 inch barrel with tolerable recoil. Both rifles have made one shot kills on elk. If you are just using the rifle for deer and hogs, why not go with a standard caliber instead?
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

Jameson

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
I shot the Ultralight .270 Wby before I got quite so busted up and it's about like a .30-06. If there's any question for you, I would go for the regular Mark V, which will help absorb much of that recoil. The weight difference isn't all that noticeable while carrying the gun (at least it isn't to me) but the recoil difference is substantial, and that's where you don't want to have to think about it.
Jameson

PAHunter1962

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 08:18:52 AM »
Pack the 257 and use the money saved to offset the ridiculous license fees in Montana.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
Let me first disqualify myself.  I have never killed or hunted elk.  But from what I have read over the last forty-five years, a jillion elk have been killed with a .270 Winchester and 130 gr. bullets.  I would just have to think that a well constructed 120 gr. bullet from a .257 Weatherby would have to do just as well if not better, with ethically well placed shots.  Of course, like just about everyone else on this board, I am always looking for an excuse to acquire another rifle, and if you want that .270 Weatherby, by all means get it.  I am sure it would be a dandy.  MM