Spike Camp

Convert a 7mm Weatherby to a 300 Weatherby

sempreelk

Convert a 7mm Weatherby to a 300 Weatherby
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
I have a lot of redundancy  among my rifles and  have a 7mm Wby Fibermark ..HOWA mfg Mcmillan stock. I would like to have this rebarrelled to a 300 weatherby. Other then a barrel and the spacer removed from the magazine what else needs to be done to this rifle. I love the HOWA action and the Mcmillan stock.

Re: Convert a 7mm Weatherby to a 300 Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
You'll probably need to do something with the bolt too.  I'm pretty sure the 300 Wby is longer than the 7mm Wby which means the bolt needs to travel further back in the action to pick up the next round.  I would think the 7mm bolt could easily be modified to allow this but I don't have a HOWA action so can't say for sure.  Should be easy enough to tell - just take a look at your bolt to see what stops it from moving back another quarter inch or so.  Or possibly it already has enough travel and no changes are needed, but this is not the case with the Mark 5.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
Valkyrie hit right on the nose. making the bolt slot longer is an easy job for any good gunsmith can do in am mater of about 5 minutes. i had the opertunity to watch mine being done.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:42:24 AM »
Weatherby did two conversions for me and both were great.
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

silverwolf

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »
Sell a 7mm and buy a new .300. Done

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:30:25 PM »
The others have mentioned just about everything. The only other detail is a longer magazine follower. The 300 and 340 have a slightly longer one.

sempreelk

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
Sell a 7mm and buy a new .300. Done

That is not going to happen, the combination of Howa action and McmIllan combined with a custom stainless steel barrel will make this a special rifle.  I don't know why weatherby went to the B&C fiber mark stock , it feels like a club compared to this one. What is funny is the NEW Mcmillan version of this stock is really chunky even more then theB&C IMHO.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:42:40 PM by sempreelk »

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »
Keep your 7mm Roy the way it is and go get a .300 Wby Fibermark.  I did.
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

sempreelk

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:40:19 AM »
Keep your 7mm Roy the way it is and go get a .300 Wby Fibermark.  I did.

Yeah , it is way more cost effective that way.  I will have to find a SS 300 wby and then a mcmillan fibermark stock

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:40:13 AM »
I'm not entirely sure it's more cost effective to buy a 300 and a McMillan stock. I would encourage you to check with Weatherby as they can rebarrel very economically and could easily make the necessary mods for the swap. I suspect they could do it for not a whole lot more than you'll pay for the McMillan stock in the aftermarket.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

sempreelk

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
Dubyam,

I am looking specifically for a SS barrel, Weatherby does not do SS rebarrels in a #2 contour. The stock I have in mind is the older fibermark, not the new Mcmillan Fibermark stock. The older one IMHO feels more like a wood mark V then the newer Mcmillan and I like the feel better then even the B&C Fibermark stock. I have had all 3 and like the old fibermark ;D

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
I wonder if you could get Weatherby to mount up a 1.5 contour in the ULW profile?  Those are stainless barrels.  Or you could get the Accumark profile and open up the barrel channel on the Fibermark stock you have.  That might be too heavy for what you're after, but it would at least keep recoil down a bit.

If you went with another smith to do the work, what barrel brand would you be looking to acquire?

Depending on what you want, you might be cheaper to buy a used stainless 300, or you might be cheaper to rebarrel one of your 7s.  If you go the rebarrel route with something like a Lilja or Krieger, you're looking at way more than just buying a SS 300.  Those appear to be available on the used market for $700-900.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

sempreelk

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 06:13:40 PM »
I wonder if you could get Weatherby to mount up a 1.5 contour in the ULW profile?  Those are stainless barrels.  Or you could get the Accumark profile and open up the barrel channel on the Fibermark stock you have.  That might be too heavy for what you're after, but it would at least keep recoil down a bit.

If you went with another smith to do the work, what barrel brand would you be looking to acquire?

Depending on what you want, you might be cheaper to buy a used stainless 300, or you might be cheaper to rebarrel one of your 7s.  If you go the rebarrel route with something like a Lilja or Krieger, you're looking at way more than just buying a SS 300.  Those appear to be available on the used market for $700-900.

Dubyam,

Would go with a Lilja 3 groove barrel in wby2  profile which is an exact match of the barrel.

silverwolf

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
I am sure it is a special rifle to you. Try this, just go out and buy the new .300 of your choice and make Ed and yourself happy. You can never have too many Wby's

sempreelk

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
I am sure it is a special rifle to you. Try this, just go out and buy the new .300 of your choice and make Ed and yourself happy. You can never have too many Wby's

LOL you must be a mind reader...I finally found 2 SS Mark V's locally , one in 300 and the other in 340 :o