Spike Camp

whats the difference between a spitzer and a spire

whats the difference between a spitzer and a spire
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »
What would be the difference of the two for whitetail??

galamb

• View Profile
Re: whats the difference between a spitzer and a spire
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
Hornady started calling their Spitzer type bullets "Spire Points".

So perhaps in the "most correct circumstances" a Spire Point is a Hornady produced bullet.

All others of similar shape would be Spitzers.

Both are simply "pointy" points (not round nosed).
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
I consider them the same.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
"Spitzer" would be the German name for a spire point or pointy bullet.  I seem to remember reading that Mauser had an international patent on the "spitzer" bullet design when they introduced it in the redesigned version of the 8x57 in 1898.  In fact, I think I remember reading that the U.S. Government had to pay Mauser a royalty of some kind for every single .30-06 bullet manufactured for WWI.  "Spitzer" and "spire point" are for all practical purposes the same thing.  MM

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
if your referring to weatherby factory ammo loaded with spitzer or spire point, the ammo loaded with spire points are hornady interlock flat base bullets, and the ammo loaded with the spitzer are a norma soft point bullet. Both with work fine for deer. Use the one your rifle likes the best.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 05:51:27 AM »
I don't think the deer will notice the difference......  ;D

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »
The guys have given good advice.  All I can add is, because of Hornady's use of the designation "Spire Point" for their bullets, and their corresponding use of secant ogive profiles (long, relatively straight-sloping points on their bullets) rather than the tangent ogive (rounded profile of the slope to the point) of many other makers, many folks, myself included, have started using the term "spitzer" for tangent ogive bullets, and "spire point" for secant ogive bullets.  That may just be a colloquial thing here amongst my shooting/loading buddies, though.  The actual nomenclature difference may purely be semantic.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
What would be the difference of the two for whitetail??
Nothing

Like others have posted, in the late 1800s, the Germans called their sharp pointed bullets spitzers in contrast to the common round nose bullet of the day.  Today, basically all pointed bullets are spitzers.

It refers to the shape of the front half or ogive of the bullet.  Different bullet manufacturers make bullets with different ogives.  Bullets with longer ogives have less air resistance than bullets with shorter ogives.

Some bullet manufacturers have given names to their bullets in relation to the shape of the ogive of their bullets:  Hornady has their Spire point bullets, Norma has a Spitzer line of bullets.

For general deer hunting under about 300 yards there is very little difference in bullet flight between the slight ogive differences in the different spitzer type bullets.  A deer hit with either bullet would not know the difference.

NRA Endowment Life Member

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Spire point vs Spitzer is really not that important  what I call tomatoe and someone else calls it a tomauto .   More importantly is the Ogive , or  bullet front and caliber profile. 

Type in Tangent, Secant, Hybred,  Ogive  bullets    click on accurate shooters,   read and  watch the you tube from Brian Litz.