Spike Camp

One Gun

One Gun
« on: December 25, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
I'm looking to buy a Weatherby. I bought a new Accumark Mark V earlier this year & for some reason I got rid of it  now finding myself anxious to replace it. I've always owned Browning but really liked the Bee just not the cost of the ammo. The new gun will be for Elk, Mule Deer , Whitetail Deer, & maybe Black Bear.  My 1st choice is another 270 WBY. What's everyone's thoughts?

galamb

• View Profile
Re: One Gun
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
If you want a Wby caliber the 270 would be my first choice for your chosen game animals.

If you would take a standard caliber the 30.06 comes in just about every offering from Wby, would be more than suitable for all the game you list AND you can often get two boxes of ammo for it at "Bob's corner store in the middle of nowhere" for less than it would cost you for 20 pieces of reloadable Wby brass.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
The cost of ammo was the main reason I got rid of the 1st one but regretted every since. I have a Browing Abolt ll in 30/06 22'' barrel top with a Zeiss Hd5 5x25x50 that's been my go to gun. I bought them together & the salesman told that I should consider a Nikon monarch because I had more scope than gun. I'm a firm believer & it's a pet peeve of mine to see someone with a higher end rifle topped with a cheap scope & nine time outta ten complain the gun isn't accurate. 

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Browing in 30-06 it's enough gun for anything in the lower 48.  Unless you are just wanting a new gun (which is not a bad thing)  the 270 weatherby is not a bad choice.   I'll throw out a different perspective,  any of the 270's are just about equal in killing power as a 30-06 or close enough.   I might lean toward either a lighter caliber or heavier caliber for a more rounded collection of rifles. such as a 243/240 or some 338 or larger caliber.  If you already have them then it's what ever you want I guess.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
If price of ammo is a thorn in your side, the 270 in std. cal comes as an Accumark(with a 24" barrel), and the std. 300 Win mag also comes in the Accumark(with a 26' barrel) Both calibers would handle the game you listed and more. The 300 win mag only carries about 6 lbs. of recoil energy more than the 30- 06.
DosEquisShooter

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
For your scope, consider the new Nikon Monarch 7.

And, for your rifle caliber you might also want to consider the .300 Weatherby with the Accubrake. The Accubrake is Weatherby's muzzle brake and reduces the recoil on a .300 Weatherby to about that of a .270 Winchester.

If you like the .300 Weatherby, consider the following. The first listed comes with an Accubrake.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459190075

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=460014535

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=460276360

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459849287

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=460135214

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=458991864

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459498850

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459831787

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
Dang you guy's have really gave me something to think about. I guess it's just a new gun thing lol. I have the Browning 30/06 & a Browning 25/06 & I have two 7 mags one limited 700 & one Alexander Interarms which is a keep sake as I killed my 1st deer with it. I hear of a lot of people using the 338's but I've never heard any bad on them. I went to Colorado this year on my 1st ever Elk hunt & a local was buying a gun & the lady told him that the standard 270 & 30/06 was by far the best sellers for a  Elk gun.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 11:59:55 PM »
There's a dealer thats about 2 hours from me that has a 270 WBY & 300 win mag both in the accumark. I both aren't bad priced unless they shoot up in the last day of the auction. The 270 wby I got rid of was an awesome shooter but I'm leaning towards the 300 win mag. They're both identical 270 has some scratches on the floor plate but other than that pretty nice. Soooo the million dollar question taking out the ammo cost would you get the 270 wby or the 300 win???? :-\ :-\

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Ignoring ammo cost, I'd get the 270Wby by a wide margin. You won't get a better all-around gun for North America (for anything but the great bears) than the 270Wby. I load 130gr E-Tips at 3420fps and would not hesitate to use them on elk, moose, or such. They are deadly for white-tails.  A friend in Canada uses the same bullet from a 270WSM and has taken multiple moose and black bear with it.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
Do you think the Accumark performed better than a Fibermark,  Wish I bought your gun

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 11:38:16 AM »
I don't want you take this the wrong way, but how good a shot are you?

What I mean is - I can clamp my VGII into a shooting vice and get sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards - pretty good in anybody's books.

Now if I shoot it the way I would "hunt" with it - at best, front supported only, I am hard pressed to keep the groups to an inch, with about 1 1/2" being "typical".

So what I'm saying is, the gun is "easily" three times more accurate than I am.

When you are going back and forth over a 1/2" of accuracy it only matters if you are "more accurate" than the rifle you are shooting.

Not picking on you at all, but I have just never ran into too many "hunters" that could shoot more accurately than the rifle they are shooting. And for the most part, the "average hunter" shoots a heavier rifle a lot more accurately than a light one.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »
If I were to invest in one Mark V it would be chambered for the 300 Weatherby Mag. IMO it's the best of the lot for a all-around North American big game rifle. ;)

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 04:01:49 AM »
Galamb I understand what you are saying & I for sure can't shoot as good as my rifle. I've never had any issues with the shooting but I'm always trying to get better.  I'm lost on the going back & forth over accuracy though, I did mention its a pet peeve for hunters to complain about accuracy w/rifles & all the while having a cheap scope on higher end rifle. A good rifle is useless imo with out nice optics & good rifle & nice optics are useless if the shooter can't hit the broad side of the barn.

My cousin is doing is best to sway towards the 300 win I doubt it has anything to do w/the fact he has a 1000 rounds of ammo he'd like to move & for some reason he doesn't think the 270 is a good round. He keeps telling me to stay away because the bc isn't good & it doesn't have the effective killing range as the 300 win. I'm not a hand loader so I don't understand the bc talk but based on what I've read & the few I talked to I've not stumbled on anything that supports my cousins thinking.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 06:31:34 AM »
Since you list Black Bear, my suggestion is the .300 Weatherby. If you hunt Black Bear where they grow big, the .300 Weatherby s advised. Also, it is a caliber that is among those recommended for Grizzly and can be loaded with bullets from 110 grains to the 250 grain Hawk. I use my .300 Weatherby loaded with 250 grain Hawk bullets in Alaska. And, if you look at the statistics - some of which I posted here in spike camp several years ago - you will see that its performance with the 250 grain Hawk is about the same as the .338 and with smaller bullets better.