Spike Camp

Best 100 yd rifle,caliber,scope magnification,if any.

Best 100 yd rifle,caliber,scope magnification,if any.
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
Someone recently posted about hunting and only shooting game out to 100 yds.Lets say the game is Moose down to deer and hogs.What type rifle,caliber,scope magnification if any would you use?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:14:32 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Re: Best 100 yd rifle,caliber,scope magnification,if any.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
I'd have to grab what I usually use for the deer hunting I do here, my Remington 7600 pump in .308 with a Zeiss 3-9x 40 scope.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »
I would use my Remington 700 in 300 H&H with a 1x4x20 Leupold scope.
Doug

GTOM

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »
Not sure about the Moose, I have not hunted anything larger than Whitetail / Blackbear (yet) - But like "Bad" if you take rifle out........I love my .50cal CVA Accura V2 M/L with a 3x9x50 leupold rifleman.

Switched to Balckhorn 209 powder this year which really tightened the grouping up to around 1.5 moa at 100yds.  I have not failed to achieve DRT on deer with this set up .......yet ;)   

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:43:04 AM »
If you take "rifle" out of this, 100yds and under? I`ll take my 12 gauge slug gun with a Bushnell 3-9X.   :)
The biggest White Tail Buck I have ever killed was with my Browning BPS 12ga and it was at around 125yds with open sights. Yeah I'm bragging but I had shoot the BPS a lot to find the right factory ammo for it and had as much confidence in it as I did my 30-06 which would be my first choice now since my eyes have changed and it wears a VXIII 1.5-5X20 on it set at 1.5 most of the time just because of the short ranges I have to shoot sometimes. My 35 Whelen would be hard not to carry in Bear country and though not in bear country I carried it this year for White tail. Got to love the way they stay put when a .35 cal. 225gr bullet smacks them. Oh yeah and you can eat right up to the bullet hole, Not much meat lose with this caliber. ;D
TD

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:49:08 AM »
There is no answer to that question for there are far too many combinations that would do the trick. So, I would say a Bowie knife.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
If you have an Ar I would say .450 bushmaster with a 3-9 scope
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
I'd be happy with my Rem673 Guide Rifle in 350RemMag for such a purpose. I'd probably mount a 1-4x class scope of some sort on it, rather than keep the open sights, but then again I might keep the open sights. Very handy little rifle with plenty of smack for anything I might encounter.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

zonie

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
1x4, 1.5x5, 2x7 2.5x8, 3x9  are all fine power choices,  I might even go with an Aimpoint with zero magnification if most shots were under 100yds.   If you have good vision why not use a peep sight.     Rifle type and caliber choice is strictly personal.   I don't think caliber makes as much difference as the ability to safely shoot fast especially at close range on moving game,   and be comfortable with the weapon.   Guy's tend to way over power on scope's magnification which is fine if you are target shooting,  I have my doubts on long range hunting.  My vision is terrible and I can still pick out little prairie dogs at 1000 yards with a 3x9 scope,  it doesn't mean I hit them.   Optical quality over power.  

Oregon Jim

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
I was given a New England Firearms single shot .243 rifle with the stock cut-down for a child. When I cleaned the bore I discovered there was a slight swelling in the bore near the end of the barrel where the cleaning brush would move freely without contacting the bore. I considered throwing the rifle away, but instead decided to have the barrel cut down to just 18 1/2 inches. I topped it with cheap holographic sights.

I ended up with a very compact .243 that is just plain perfect for up-close hunting. At 100 yards or so my little rifle is as efficient as any rifle you can name, and the holographic sights also allow me to aim in low-light conditions, or even total darkness. It is ideal as a tree-stand rifle too because of its small size.

At 100 yards you have a million options!

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
I am a "maximum" 100 yard hunter (might have even been me that posted that recently).

Since you didn't ask "what is best" but instead, what would you use I will take a crack at that one.

I have hunted Deer and Moose pretty much since I could hold/fire a rifle - so somewhat over 40 years now. I have hunted Moose in Northern Ontario and Newfoundland, and Deer in Eastern Ontario, so while some interior B.C./Alaska Moose are "bigger", these guys were "big enough" and Ontario Deer are somewhat larger than you find in the southern States or out west (save mulies).

Up where I hunt Moose (primarily) the Native hunters (Cree's) predominately use 30-30's - so while that is "enough", I don't know that it would be my first choice. I have used a 30-30 for deer (pushed by dogs) and it worked well for years, but ultimately settled on my 30.06 as my all round/general purpose/use it for everything gun - at least until now.

I just bought a 243 Win and it will become my new "deer gun".

While the ballistics suggest that I could also maybe/probably scrape by using it for Moose at 100 yards or less (and if you can't get within 100 yards of a Moose, at least where I hunt, you probably shouldn't be pulling the trigger on one)  I personally won't use it.

I hunt rough terrain - lots of muskeg, bogs, swamps etc so if Bullwinkle doesn't go down "immediately" you might not be able to recover him (we travel in by train and literally get dropped off at the side of the tracks - no roads, no atv trails - so no atv's - no horses, nada - you have to get to him and get him out "on foot") - that really precludes any desire to track and recover - I need him DRT and you don't shoot unless where he will drop will leave him "recoverable".

Because of that I want the ability to shoot a little more than a 105 or 107 grain bullet - but not a whole lot more.

I am now in the market for a Moose rifle for my very disciplined, max 100 yard hunting style. I prefer to shoot Swift A-Frames at Moose (Nosler Partitions which I used for years are the "only" other option in my books - but after shooting them for a couple of decades I found the A-Frames just stay together a little better on Moose).

At sub-100 yards I personally consider 140-160 grains of A-Frame "enough, with a little margin" for Bullwinkle.

I can "launch them" with calibers in the 6.5 - 7mm "non-magnum" offerings currently on the market.

I'm becoming recoil sensitive so a 270 Win, probably in an auto-loader (Rem 750/Browning BAR) is the "MOST" I would want to pull the trigger on. It would be "more than enough" gun for what you have listed. But still would not be my first choice.

I would suggest, with disciplined, sub-100 yard shots, passing on "iffy" or quartering towards shots (at least for Moose - big bones cover the vitals) you would have  "enough gun" with a 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Sweede, 260 Rem or a 7mm-08 Rem. All could be loaded with at least a 140 grain A-Frame or Partition which will absolutely get the job done.

They could also be loaded a little differently for Deer and none of them would kick even half as hard as a 30.06.

So if you don't "need" a 300 mag to feel confident enough to pull the trigger, the terminal ballistics of any of those four calibers, that all have a reasonable choice of ammunition available "off the shelf" (if you don't reload), are more than enough gun for what you want to hunt.

(my new "moose gun" will either be the 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08 - just have to try the models "on for size" and decide from there - but it will be one or the other and I won't hesitate one iota when a big bull comes into the crosshairs)

At 100 yards or less a fixed 4 power scope is "enough" - I tend to use 3-9X40 or 42mm scopes because they are kinda the "standard" and you can spend as little or as much as you want. I do tend to leave them dialed to 4 or 5 X for short range hunting - at 9X on a Deer standing 35 yards away, you can literally count the hairs on their shoulder just before you drop him like he was pole-axed :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:55:12 PM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

25 CAL

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
I think Id give the ole 35 Remington lever with a 1x4 a try. Or my 30-30 same scope.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
My VGL in 308 with it's old VariX II 2-7x32 has been doing that job nicely for me for a long time.  A 45-70 marlin would be a good one too.  I also have an old Model 94AE in 44 mag that works pretty well on deer out to a 100 yards but that's a little on the small side for Moose. I'm sure if it's all I had to use I could get it done with it though. 

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
I really like carrying my Ruger 77 MK II in 9.3x62. I have a Leupold VX III 2.5-8 on it. It's carried mainly in the PA northern tier for white tails. With it's 22 in. barrel it's very handy,it carries and shoulders really nice. Scope works good in low light and still has magnification if needed. Shoots well with Barnes 250 gr. TSXs. The 62 might be slightly over powered for deer, but it hits like a big hammer. Recoil is slightly more than the 30/06. Also it's point blank to 300 yards. Seldom get shots over 100 yds, and mostly less, but it can do more. Plus I think it's a neat cartridge.
                                                                                                                                            74

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »
I carry my Remington Model 7600  "Carbine" (18 1/2" barrel ) 30/06. On top it carries a Leupold Vari X III 1.75 x 6 with the heavy duplex crosshair in Leupold mounts. It is short, fast, accurate and hard hitting. My favorite firearm for close range.
Pennsylvania "Big Woods" Mountain Buck.