Spike Camp

Tactical Stock

Tactical Stock
« on: January 08, 2015, 06:10:09 AM »
Anyone ever use one of these? I'm not sure if they will improve anything but they sure do look cool. I have an Accumark in 30-378 that I shoot LR with. I have a b.day coming up and since I spent quite a bit on family for Christmas I think it's time for some pay back. LOL!

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/bell-carlson-adjustable-tactical/Detail

Re: Tactical Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:59:47 AM »
If you think about it, what does a tactical stock do.  It usually offers a solid metal bedding block for the action, and usually free floats the barrel.  The same thing that the better custom sporting replacement stocks do, which usually increases accuracy.  The tactical stock usually offers a pistol grip, which makes for a more consistent trigger squeeze, while not nearly as important as when shooting a handgun, I think it helps with rifle accuracy as well.  Most of the better tactical stocks offer an adjustable cheek piece, which lines up your eyes with the scope much more consistently, which minimizes parallax problems if your scope does not have a parallax adjustment.  Also most better tactical stocks offer an adjustable buttplate, which allows you to "fit" your rifle to your shoulder exactly in the right spot, if you know where the right spot should be, minimizing canting, and making your shoulder mounting more consistent.  Making everything more consistent from shot to shot, makes for better accuracy.  That is why target shooters use target stocks, which are basically tactical stocks, except they  are made of wood instead of synthetic.  But they are bulkier, heavier, and not as "sporting" looking.  MM

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
It is kinda kool looking, but I think I'd stay with the old school std. looking stock for hunting purposes JMO,(wood or synthetic) unless I was really unhappy with the accuracy of my rifle. Although it comes down to what you want, not necessarily whether you need it. You get a lot of nice options on the stock that might make a difference in your accuracy, but at a base price of $446.00 I'd be thinking of other toys I might want. I had a friend that when he bought something new for himself would say " who more than me deserves to have this". I gotta say, I've used that line many times. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:10:44 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
Thanks for the comments! I'm not sure if that was a yes or a no.  ;) I mainly just plink with the 30-378 although I have taken deer with it. I built a free standing 6X8 box blind with a solid shooting bench inside that overlooks a 600 yard field. So I'm always fiddling around with different loads and ranges and chasing that mythical "group". So I don't hump that beast around very much. As noted, it may reduce a few variables. I'm hoping that the inlaws will comment on my b.day and I can drop a hint or two. My nutty sister-in-law bought me a stuffed black bear foot stool (surprise!) one year that probably would have put a nice dent into the cost of this stock!  And then again, there is "n__d". I don't "n__d" it but as we all know, "n__d" is a very bad word.  ;D   

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
It looks like a pretty nice set up and since you don't have to haul it all over the place the extra heft won't matter much. I do have a couple of different style target stocks, One has the ability to adjust the length of pull and the height of your cheek weld on the stock and they do make a difference.  Off the rack vs a tailored suit.  Home made biscuits vs the compered air ones in the tube lol  You'll like it have fun.