Spike Camp

.257 weatherby range

.257 weatherby range
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
What would be modest max range for a elk shot in .257 weatherby is not to exceed 400 yards (Hits with 1500 fpe). Im going to say 300 yards is the limit for elk for me.

Re: .257 weatherby range
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »
Wow I don't know what load you are shooting but my load holds 1500 foot pounds of energy to 620 yards and still has 1000 @900 yards at 2000 fps

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »
If you were to judge a bullet's effectiveness by foot pounds of energy alone, you could conclude that your .257 is effective way out there, far beyond your 300 yards. The theory is good, but my feeling is there is much more to consider than just bullet energy.

However, to your point; If you are shooting a good bullet, and if you can place it accurately, and assuming you have a good angle on your elk, you are going to have no problem in that 300 yard limit.

My issue with measuring energy alone is that dense muscle or heavy bone can absorb lots of energy, limiting penetration and bullet effectiveness. The energy of the bullet provides great velocity and trajectory, but it is still a small bullet.
We cannot improve our government by electing people that hate our government...

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »
I have the same thoughts as Jim,  and my own thoughts bullet energy  while nice to talk about and being one of several bench marks.   I think you need to  include other factors,  not including the amount of adrenaline being pumped by a scared animal or one you really pissed off, and the only way stop the adrenaline is to bleed it out.  A case can be made for small bullets traveling very fast so long as they cause extreme internal damage or they pass thru penetrating vitals and breaking everything in it's path.  Big slower  bullets on the other hand generally keep on going due to mass and momentum  breaking everything in their path.  In other words you take that tiny 100 grain 25 cal bullet and if it can't break bones or go thru heavy muscle and then you take a cup and core 338 bullet and it sheds some weight it still has the poop to get the job done if everything else is the same.   Jim is absolutely correct especially on large animals such as elk and others.  If that bullet does not penetrate to the vitals because of muscle, heavy bone ,  use of the incorrect bullet for the game intended,  less than best  bullet construction  for specific animals,    what good is it ?    If seen 257 using the right bullet dump the biggest elk at 400 yds with the bullet passing completely thru, but I've also seen and done myself using what is considered a  257 premium bullet completely blow up at a close in shot on elk.  Yes it killed it, but it wasn't pretty, and it was a darn good center mass shot.  The 257 is a great caliber don't get me wrong,  it isn't or never will be on my top list of elk calibers at any range ,  it will get the job done with the right bullet and more importantly shot placement even to 400 yds.  One thing about elk and I've killed a bunch of them in various calibers if they don't go down shoot it again until they do.  Don't screw around with them or you might end up with a lost elk.   A good friend's son lost a very nice 390 to 420 bull this last year because he didn't shoot it again,  he hit the dead zone above the lungs and under the spine with a 270 win maybe 100 yds.  We looked for it a week later and nothing it's a dead elk somewhere, and that's a shame it was a really nice elk. 

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
Assuming a perfect angle, the 257 with the perfect bullet for that range will do. So will a 22LR!  I am not a believer in "minimum caliber" for the intended game. If I'm ever lucky enough to hunt elk again, my 257 is not making that trip. I`ll start with 300 Win. Mag and go up to my 338 RUM .   ;D