Spike Camp

First Day with the SA-08 12 Ga

First Day with the SA-08 12 Ga
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:52:31 PM »
Today I went with my buddy for a little pheasant hunting after a 25 year break from shooting/hunting  Having never even fired the gun I brought down the first bird with one shot.  The next bird up, two shots and on the ground.  Third bird one shot and in the oven. 

In summary, 4 shots, 3 birds.  I did prep a little and used the spacers to get my fit correct, added an optic sight, Carlson Modified choke and used Federal 2-3/4", #7 steel Speed Shok shells 1 oz and rated at 1375 fps with the light load piston. 

The gun was great to shoot, recoil light and my buddy hauling around  his 1980's 870 Wingmaster in the Northern Illinois snow was astonished at the weight of the "B".  So far I am very happy owner.

Tell me I will forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I will learn,  Ben Franklin

danno50

• View Profile
Re: First Day with the SA-08 12 Ga
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
Like they say, When you got it, you got it". Never hurts to have a great shotgun at the ready. Congrats on a successful pheasant hunt after a long hiatus from the hunting. If you don't have a Weatherby rifle, you need to start thinking about it. Good hunting.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:58:47 PM »
Congrats on your gun and your hunt.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
Thanks guys,  think a little luck had something to do with bringing the birds down easily. I spent the time to fit the gun the best I could and having it shouldered properly probably really helped.
Tell me I will forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I will learn,  Ben Franklin