Spike Camp

Opinions on the PA-08 models

galamb

• View Profile
Opinions on the PA-08 models
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:15 AM »
So in my continuing quest to retire my long serving rifles and shotguns I have just ordered a PA-08 20 gauge (wood stocked with 26" barrel) to replace my 30'ish year old Rem 870 12 gauge - I'm generally moving down in caliber with all my guns - turning into a recoil "whimp"  ;D.

While we carry (at work) the SA models I just recently read that the PA and SA are "not" made by the same company for Wby. So maybe what I though I knew about how the fit/finish/trigger etc would be may not be the case.

The only thing that really concerns me from what I have read regards the triggers.

There is more than a couple reviews that state the trigger is super heavy on the PA models - Randy Wakeman, in a 2014 article, went so far as to say the shotgun is "un-usable" due to the poor trigger.

Now, of course "heavy" is a subjective thing (I think the trigger on a Savage Axis is super heavy, almost un-usable) but would like to hear from other PA owners.

How do you like the gun and how has it been working for you?

Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

Re: Opinions on the PA-08 models
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
In 2013 I bought a PA-08 upland combo with the shotgun and rifled slug barrels. I have only used the slug barrel as I bought it for that purpose. I find nothing wrong with the trigger at the bench or in the field. mine is the synthetic model as I could not find a walnut stocked 1 at the time I purchased, no one had them in stock at that time. I have no complaints on the fit or finish on mine. The only thing I have noticed is at the bench when shooting if you don't rack the action aggressively the spent casing sometimes does not clear, and remains in the action. but have not had that occur in the field.

fuonlynu

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:19:44 AM »
I keep up on the shotguns and unfortunately the PA-08 gets really bad reviews I have never used or even seen one being used in the field or at the range so I have no personal input.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
Thanks.

And yes, the reviews have not been good, at least in the "function" of - the fit and finish seems to get high marks.

None of that will stop me from taking delivery and I will give the shotgun a fair shake when I get it. Hopefully I can give a decent review in a few weeks after putting some boxes of shells through it.

Having said that, I can't really see Wby keeping a product on the market if it is functioning "less than well".

I have assembled a couple dozen shotguns over the past few weeks and have to say that if the Rem 887 Nitro Mag's are an indication of "today's quality", then maybe I should lower my expectations a little.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:57:49 AM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »
So what company(s)   actually make the PA & SA.    I heard it was in Turkey but what are the company names ?    I would be interested in your review of the PA. 

fuonlynu

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »
Yes, I believe they are both made in Turkey and the SA-08 gets great! reviews and the few that I have shot were flawless and great handling guns, both the 20's and the 12's. Here on the Nation there have been many disappointed people complaining of jams, feeding issues with their PA-08 series as well as on other forums. It's quite hard to believe Weatherby has not addressed the issues when their reputation is being flawed as a great gun maker/importer. This particular shotgun is what I consider an entry level gun but that's where the bulk of sales are and it's offered in an array of configuration's to please the buyers or to entice the curious!

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »
I have read that the Semi's are made by ATA Arms (also builds some Beretta models).

The very few references to the mfg of the Pump models seems to indicate that Armsan (who also makes TriStar and Mossberg) is probably the builder (best guess from those reviewing) - perhaps Wby could confirm who builds them (???)

If the "heavy" trigger is the only point of complaint I can work with that (and I am one who likes a light trigger on everything that I shoot - so would be "replaced").

Again though, I'm going into this trying not to be influenced by the few reviews out there (some say it's better than sliced bread others say it's unusable).

But I will give it a good try and will post MY impressions of the shotgun.

I also own a Rem 870 and old model Winchester Featherweight pump (obtained long before I boycotted Win :)) so do have a couple of other guns "on hand" as a baseline.

I have mentioned before that I have to steer customers to Wby rifles (the Vanguards) because most have zero experience with them although most have at least heard the name. When it comes to the shotguns they are not a name that is even on anyone's "radar" and many customers are surprised that Wby even has shotguns.

That could be part of the reason for the "few and far between" reviews.

And yes, the whole reason I want this shotgun is to add an inexpensive 20 gauge pump to my stable. Since I already have an 870 in 12 gauge I wanted "different" for a pump 20 - the 870 20ga pump would have run me the same money but the stock looks way nicer on the Wby.

Maybe I will get a "trouble free" one ???

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:36:24 AM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
I bought a PA-08 last fall....got the TR model with the short barrel "for the house"  It makes a dandy rabbit gun in the 20 ga.  No complaints here.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »
Thanks - good to hear.

Mine will be here in the next couple of days and I will take her out for a run.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I do want it to "work fine". Would rather carry the PA-08 than an 870, but will ultimately go with what works.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
I have a new PA-08 20 ga. synthetic and love it. Went rabbit hunting in December '14 and tested it thoroughly over 3 days. No racking problems at all after 75 rounds. None. I have no issue with the trigger. It suits me just fine. At this point I don't care what anyone else says, what they've heard, what they've read. I love mine. End of story.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
Good to hear.

My shotgun just came in today so I did get to play with it a bit (was at work however, so just a "little" bit) :)

Anyhow, it was super easy to assemble - everything went together perfectly unlike some of the other models I assemble for the showcase that take "great force" to get the forend to conform to the barrel or get the barrel into the receiver.

So score 1 for Wby with a super easy to assemble shotgun (but glad I read the manual first - there is a little trick that they note which absolutely helps) with all the parts fitting together exactly how they should, right out of the box, without having to exert pressure on any of the components that need to fit together.

Next I gave a long once over with the "hairy eyeball" - the bluing is superior to other shotguns at this price point and the wood/finish on the stock is easily comparable with an 870 Wingmaster costing over double - so point number 2 goes to the finish - awesome on an "inexpensive" shotgun.

Nice touch that it includes two additional chokes - I know Mossberg throws them in as well, but not Rem (the main competition for pump shotguns in our showcases at work) - so another point for not cheaping out and making you buy the other chokes.

The trigger is a little heavy - I didn't get a trigger scale on it but I'm thinking somewhere around 9 pounds is probably about where it is.

It's not "horrible" and I certainly wouldn't class it as "unusable" as has been written in at least one review, but is heavier than my other shotguns - so reserving opinion on that (partially) for the moment - under field conditions I will decide if a trigger job is in the future or not, but it certainly is functional (and anyone who shoots a Savage Axis would feel right at home) :)

I did cycle the action about 300'ish times throughout the day. At this point it is a little "tight" but did notice it getting easier the more movement it saw.

I did note that in the process of cycling it would occasionally stick - further diddling around showed me that if I slowed down a little there was no stop or hesitation. It appears that there may still be an (edge) on the carrier that needs some wearing in (or perhaps a touch with a stone) to stop that momentary hang up (happening when the carrier would be lifting the shell for loading).

So all in all, as far as "part one" of the critique went I am fairly impressed with the shotgun.

If the weather co-operates I will get it out on the weekend and run 60 or 80 shells through it and see how she does "going bang".

Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »
I just bought mine, and I'm kind of curious.

I've been eyeing this particular gun since 2012, and I finally found one for a good price. I can't wait to go out and hunt some rabbits with it. That being said...

I haven't seen any official bad reviews on the shotgun; in fact, TTAG and many other gun reviews have nothing but good things to say about it, especially when compared to the Freedom Group 870 Expresses. All the "bad reviews" seem to come from forums, where people are quick to trash the gun because it's made in Turkey.

Also many people that say there are jamming issues and such that I have found say they tend to not have problems after the gun has been broken in.

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I only wish the Upland came with the magazine cap that had the sling attachment on it. I have no idea how to put a sling on this gun.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
I have put about 100 rounds through mine now and have had zero issues (shot 2 3/4 and 3" shells).

What I like, aside from the fit/finish which is very nice, is the (perceived) carry weight. Now mine is just the 20 gauge but it is super easy to carry and even shooting 3" magnum turkey loads the recoil is more than tolerable (and while I'm not "sensitive" I don't enjoy shooting guns that make Mules seem like pussies :))

To sling it I installed a stud in the wood (pre-drilled) on the butt end and then drilled the cap and made my own mag cap attachment.

My eyes are not the greatest and absolutely couldn't stand (or see) the bead on this gun so I swapped it out for a fiber optic pipe..

The fact that it's made in Turkey did not weigh at all in my decision to buy the gun.

The track record of US built sporting arms has not been the greatest in the past couple of decades, so "made in the USA" no longer means "quality beyond compare" unless the cost of the firearm is many times greater than the "entry level guns", which I consider this model to fall under.

(what I mean here is, I find the fit/finish/function of this model to be on par with a Rem 870 Wingmaster which costs well over twice as much - it blows away the 870 Express which is at a similar price point. All the rest of it's "competition", in terms of price, are made offshore in either Turkey or Portugal, so if you DON'T WANT a shotgun made in Turkey or Portugal, that retails for under 400 bucks, you are kinda limited to an 870 Express)
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

Infidel65

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »
I just got a new PA-08 TR with the 18 1/2" barrel.
What markings indicate that it can shoot slugs?
Infidel65

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
Most if not all shotguns can shoot slugs.

Many will tell you that if you shoot the rifled type slugs (also called Foster slugs) that you should use a cylinder or improved cylinder choke. However, they will squeeze through a modified or tighter choke without an issue.

The sabot slugs on the market, which are usually a pistol or rifle bullet in a holder (sabot) will not stabilize very well unless you have a fully rifled barrel. A few companies make a "rifled choke tube" but results with them are not always positive.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada