Spike Camp

Nosler Ballistic tips

Re: Nosler Ballistic tips
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 01:22:49 AM »
swift jackets are too thick.. oh yeah and Ballistic Tip jacket are too thin... my bad.   :-\  ::)

Tryin to figure out what Ballistic silver tip in the .338 200 grainer is good for though?  The silver tips are constructed the same as the BT's.

I have one of the first Accumarks chambered in .338-378 Weatherby Magnum and use the 200 grain Combined Technologies Ballistic Silver Tips in it ever since Nosler stopped making the 200 grain Ballistic Tips and used them to kill lots of white-tailed deer and a black bear.  Every thing I've ever shot with it was a one shot kill.  Now I'm sure there's a lot of people who will be thinking what the heck am I doing using them but they work and are very accurate out of my rifle.  If I was going after a grizzly bear I wouldn't be using them, I'd use an Accubond or even a Partition but as for the bullet weight I might or might not go with a heavier bullet and that would depend on the accuracy I got out of the particular bullet and bullet weight.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the Ballistic Tip on Elk or Moose either.  In addition to bullet construction is shot placement which is equal to or even a bit a head of the bullet's construction.  Think of it this way, you can have the "best" or "toughest" bullet but if you don't place your shot properly what ever you shoot isn't going to die instantly and you'll be tracking it.  Sure the .338-378 is pushing the recommended limits of the Ballistic Tip for velocity which is recommend to be equal to or less than 3,000 feet per second where as the Accubond or Partition doesn't have a top velocity recommendation.  At ranges less than 150 yards I take neck shots, providing the animal is standing or walking, to minimize tissue damage.  If I can't take the neck shot I go for a behind the shoulder shot and accept the fact that there's going to be extensive tissue damage especially if the bullet hits the shoulder.  Beyond 150 yards the bullet slows down some and causes less tissue damage and I go for behind the shoulder shots. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

8isenough

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 04:01:56 AM »
Sounds good to me...  ;D

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 06:31:59 AM »
I have been using BT's for deer in my 257's for many years. My rifles like the 100 grainers so that is what I use. Knock on wood but I have never lost a deer with them. The furthest I've had one run is 50 yards (behind the shoulder shot). I have recovered one bullet. It entered the front of the animal at approximately 200 yards, ranged through the internal organs (and made a big mess) and lodged (broke) in the femur. I'm certain that if the bullet had missed the bone it would have exited out of the backside of the ham. I have it somewhere. I think it lost about 50 grains (half) of its weight.  Broadside shots through the shoulders usually leave a large exit cavity. I don't care much for shoulders anyway. What remains is ground into burger. When I pull the trigger I want the animal to die as quickly as possible. Preferably in it's tracks. Edible meat is secondary. I load 180 grain BT's in my 300 B. They can't stand it. ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:33:48 AM by Downeast »

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 07:30:45 AM »
swift jackets are too thick.. oh yeah and Ballistic Tip jacket are too thin... my bad.   :-\  ::)

Tryin to figure out what Ballistic silver tip in the .338 200 grainer is good for though?  The silver tips are constructed the same as the BT's.
ORDERED TEN BOXES OF BALLISTIC TIP 150 GRN 30 CAL OVERRUNS FROM SHOOTERS PRO SHOP,WHEN THEY CAME THEY HAD COPPER JACKETS WIT THE GRAY POLIMER TIP,NOT SURE THEY SEND THE RIGHT BULLET'S I CALLED NOSLER AND WAS TOLD THAT THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE COMBINED TECHNOLOGY BALLISTIC SILVER TIP AND A NOSLER BALLISTIC TIP IS THE COLOR OF THE TIP AND THE BLACK COATING AND WHAT I HAD(AND STILL HAVE SOME LEFT) IS BALLISTIC SILVER TIP OVERRUNS WITHOUT THE COATING.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:16 AM »
Black Bear come in different sizes depending on where you hunt. So, you have to be careful to distinguish between big and small.

I am not familiar with the Ballistic Tip but, for 180 grain .300 WBY on medium game, I like the Nosler Partition, the TSX and the Bonded Bear Claw.

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 01:23:10 AM »
My Dad has been using the 180 grain Ballistic Tips in his .300 Weatherby Magnum for years and never lost any animals he's shot with it or even track them.  As I said before you need to place your shots well no matter what bullet you're using.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »
I don't usually shoot Ballistic Tips, but when I do, it is at paper or varmints. Stay thirsty my friends.
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 09:26:15 AM »
Ha! Ha! I'm indifferent about Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets - but that is a funny post right there!
JK