Spike Camp

which one PO-08 or 870 Express

which one PO-08 or 870 Express
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »
I do not have enough free cash to spend on a really good shotgun so these are the 2 choices i have come down to.I could us a little input to help me make the choice.

Thanks Vince

mrgman

Re: which one PO-08 or 870 Express
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
The only input I can offer is...I have a PA-08 in 20 gauge and love it. I've only fired roughly 75 shells but never had a cycling problem or any problem for that matter.
I have seen some complaints about new PA-08's on this site. If I didn't have one that worked great I could be concerned, but mine runs just fine. To me complaints are like viewing the stars on an Amazon product. 97 people give it 5 stars, then there always has to be that 2 or 3 that rate it 1 star without fail. I think what you're asking boils down to, do I get a Silverado truck or an F-150.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:01:43 PM by mrgman »

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:42:38 AM »
870 gone thru test of time just like weatherbys mark v

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »
870 Express
Mark

gary d

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
870 has been around for a long time, but that doesn't mean the current incarnation is on par with it's predecessors.  I have heard the current offerings often have rough chambers and very poor fit and finish, and rust very easily.  I personally would go with the PA-08 or look closer at the Mossberg 500.

ccc23454

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
buy a older 870 or mossberg, newer remingtons will never be found in my safe..

zonie

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »
Hands down 870 express,  other than the express is a very good gun,   another  reason and maybe more importantly is the availability and almost endless selection of shot gun accessories if you wanted to go offensive tactical,  switch over to turkey hunting,  upland,  home defense,  change barrels,  mag tubes,  and stocks.  Might want to get into speed shooting  steel plate competition and add speed loaders.    There isn't in my opinion another shotgun  maker out there that comes close to the accessories to be had over the Remington pumps and semi-autos.   Mossberg and Benelli has a few accessories but no where near the Remington's,  where does that leave Weatherby pump & semi auto  shotguns ?  

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 01:23:52 PM »
I sell (at work) just about every pump shotgun currently available.

I also own an 870/12 gauge (20'ish years old) and a PA-08/20 gauge (just bought it a month or so back).

NEITHER is the most popular seller in my experience - we sell three or four Mossberg 500's or 535's for each 870 and a couple 870's for each PA-08 (which sell about as well as Winchesters and Brownings).

Unless you are looking at an 870 Wingmaster I might tend to stay away from a new 870 Express - the machine work, fit/finish and (meshing) of the parts on assembly leave a lot to be desired - and if you think a synthetic stock is superior because it won't warp or twist, Remington has found a way to produce them "warped and twisted" right from the factory.

I assemble many dozens of shotguns and the only thing more difficult to get together, from the box, than a synthetic 870 is a synthetic 877 (which are just downright horrible) taking significant pressure and twisting to get the barrel to mate with the receiver.

The PA-08 for fit/finish/machine work mirrors the 870 Wingmaster (at half the ticket price) and the Winchester SXS which is also a nice shotgun (right out of the box). All of these assemble as if the parts were "hand fit" at the factory.

The Mossberg's generally assemble without significant issues - their one problem is the camo on the barrels extends to the part that goes into the receiver and needs to be cleaned up a little to prevent sticking when trying to remove the barrel.

If I was looking for a NEW "entry level" shotgun today, the 870 Express would not be on the list. If you are looking for a NICE wood stocked shotgun then the PA-08 is the hands down "best value".

If you are looking for more "multi-purpose" in a synthetic I would go for either of the 3 barrel combo's offered by Mossberg. These are "dressed" in one of the Mossy Oak camo patterns.

They come with a 28" Vented Rib barrel (plus 3 chokes - I/C, M, F), a 24" Turkey barrel (with extended Extra Full Turkey choke) and a 24" Fully Rifled Deer barrel (with cantilever so you can mount a scope).

The 500 Model (3" chamber) is about 75 bucks cheaper than the 535 Model (3 1/2" chamber - or Super Mag if you like) - sorry could only give you Canuck price ranges, but the 535 combo sells for the same price as an 870 Express Camo (which only has 1 barrel and 1 choke), with the 500 combo selling for about the same as an 870 Express in either wood or synthetic.

The Rem 870 only comes with a modified choke (so out of pocket if you want something other than Modified).

The Wby PA-08 comes with three chokes (I/C, Mod, Full)

And although I have (bashed) the new 870's a bit here I have never had complaints about their function. Also there is one currently on the market called the 870 Sportsman Field. It has a 28" VR barrel and a Mahogany stock. Sells for about the same price as the Express models. It went together nicely and the wood and checkering is very sharp looking. If I "had to have" an 870, the Field model would be the one I would buy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:31:02 PM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

fuonlynu

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
Absolutely no comparison here, 870 all the way.

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
I have had A pa-08/12GA. combo for about 2 years now and it functions flawlessly. I have never had the shotgun barrel on it but the slug barrel shoots great, never a feeding problem.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »
Ok first things first , thank all of you for the in put and i have read and will consider the info you have been so good to provide me.I will be heading to town this friday and will touch them all and purchase the one that feels the best , maybe not looks the best but the weatherby is by far the best looking.

again thank you for taking the time to help me.......

Vince

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »
Good luck and good shooting with whichever one you choose. My first gun bought with my own money was a 12 guage 870 Wingmaster (at age 14, back in 1971, for the huge sum of $115!). It was and still is a great shotgun that never has given me a minute's trouble (I still have and shoot it). However, despite the stellar track record it has, I would be hesitant to buy most of what (sadly) Remington is making these days. I've heard horror stories about their product quality and also the way Remington's service has handled (or not) issues. I've heard mostly good about the PA-08. Ask about the return policy of the place you are going to buy from!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:27:09 AM by texweatherby »
Come and take it.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »
I've never shot or even handled a PO-08 so I can't say anything about it.  Now regarding the 870 Remington I've shot lots of them, they're a true work horse in every way, and will handle anything you throw at them.  We have them at my work and they hold up to all the abuse that's been thrown at them and some of our guys could break a Sherman tank in less than five minutes.  If you want cheap and reliable I'd say the 870 Express is the way to go hands down. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »
Ok so it took a little longer at the sales counter than i thought but came home with new shotgun. I hope y'all don't get upset but it was not a Weatherby. Price wise there was only around 30.00 difference between the weatherby, winchester and remington but the Remington just felt better to me. If the rain stops today i will run a few round through it and try to pattern it for turkey season.

Thank all of you for your advice.....

Vince

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
I think you made a wise choice in going with the one that felt the best to you.Good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.