Spike Camp

1,000 yard steel target question

1,000 yard steel target question
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »
I've been shooting a 12 inch plate at 500 yards enough to get comfortable so I'm planning on going further out. Steel is not cheap so I'm just curious to know the average size of your target at 1,000 yards. I know there will be some that shoot bottle caps at a mile, but for us Earthlings who are to old to walk 2,000 yards round trip to check a hole in a piece of cardboard what would be a decent size steel target. 2'X2', 3'X3'...???  ;D

Oregon Jim

Re: 1,000 yard steel target question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »
My friends and I like to shoot at long distances, but we are able to shoot at targets placed upon hillsides or berms where the bullet impact can be seen with high-power binoculars or a spotting scope. We use clay pigeons for targets. 

If I had to shoot at a paper target in a place where bullet impact could not be seen, and the only indication of bullet impact was a hole in the paper, I'd make my target BIG, really big, as wind can push your bullet quite far when you shoot at long range. For example, a 10 mph crosswind will shift my .257 bullet more than seven feet at 1000 yards.

If you and a spotter cannot see your bullet impact in the dirt around your target, a paper target would be the logical choice, but a poor choice. You will need a large target. New steel is expensive, but you can often times find just the perfect small piece of scrap metal at your local metal recycle yard. A ten or twelve inch gong would be your best bet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:03:39 AM by James »

ccc23454

Re: 1,000 yard steel target question
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »
i usually don't shot 1000, mostly 600-800 max but even at that range the problem is not the target its the surrounding, if you cant see your miss you don't have much chance adjusting. targets we use 12" sq steel, clays, balloons and gallon jugs but we try to make sure we have a good dusty dirt backstop