Spike Camp

Scope Mounts and bases

winchester97

Scope Mounts and bases
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:44:56 AM »
 Hi guys,I just bought my first Weatherby,a 257 Vanguard Lasermark.I want to mount a Redfield Revenge 6x18 44mm scope on it.When I went to Redfield's site,they say to go to Leupold's sight for mounts and bases.The Leupold site doesn't list Redfield scopes that I could find.Can anyone please tell me what scope mounts and bases will work with this combination to allow proper eye relief and clearance for the front scope bell from the barrel?I have wanted a 257 Weatherby forever and can't wait to try this thing out on woodchucks or coyotes...

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Scope Mounts and bases
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »
Welcome to the Nation and congrats on a fine choice for your first Weatherby. As for scope mounts and bases, I'd suggest going with Talley lightweight rings and bases in 1" med. height. The Talley's are solid, their guaranteed, and will hold up to the recoil of a 300 Wby Mag. The medium should have plenty of clearance for a 44mm bell, but if in doubt you can call Talley at 803-854-5700 to be sure. Talley makes a great product and for the price, you can't go wrong. Easy install with perfect alignment. JMO Again, welcome. 
DosEquisShooter

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »
Agree.

Talley makes the Weatherby branded mounts.

I have them on both my Wby rifles - fit perfectly, no shimming, no jacking around - mount and stick on the glass.

Now, they may not be the answer if you want a quick detachable scope - they are "fixed" (which also means they won't move around on you, although to be fair I have had good luck with quick detach mounts staying true with multiple removal/re-installs - but one less thing to worry about when the trophy of a lifetime steps out).

I used them to mount a Redfield Revenge 3-9X42 Accu-Range (Talley low mounts) and a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9X40 (Talley low mounts).

The 42mm Redfield with a Butler Creek flip cap "just" clears the barrel (can slide 2 sheets of paper between the cap and the barrel) so for a 44mm Redfield objective I would go with the medium mounts.

Figure if the mounts are good enough for Weatherby to put their name on then they are good enough for my rifles that they built.
[imghttp://][/img]
[imghttp://[/img]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:39:40 AM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

Wumps

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:55:25 AM »
Galamb, looks good

Are those the talley ones? Or the "weatherby" branded bases?
Are they both the exact same dimensionally?
Thanks in advance.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »
The mounts on the synthetic stock are from the "Talley" package.

The ones on the sporter came from the Weatherby package.

Both are low mounts, both appear "exactly" the same save one tiny difference.

Both have "Talley" stamped in one side of the base. The ones from Wby have "Vanguard" on the opposite side of the base.

So Wby doesn't even try and hide the fact that they are Talley rings (clearly stamped), just have the extra stamp on the other side.

The cost, at least on my side of the border, was exactly the same for both sets of mounts so for me the choice came down to "who had what in stock when I needed them".
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:02:53 AM »
I like Conetrol mounts, out of Texas. Nice clean look with no screws above the base.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
+1 to GC's Conetroles.Weatherby used to promote them a long time ago.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

dscambik0214

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »
Agree.

Talley makes the Weatherby branded mounts.

I have them on both my Wby rifles - fit perfectly, no shimming, no jacking around - mount and stick on the glass.

Now, they may not be the answer if you want a quick detachable scope - they are "fixed" (which also means they won't move around on you, although to be fair I have had good luck with quick detach mounts staying true with multiple removal/re-installs - but one less thing to worry about when the trophy of a lifetime steps out).

I used them to mount a Redfield Revenge 3-9X42 Accu-Range (Talley low mounts) and a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9X40 (Talley low mounts).

The 42mm Redfield with a Butler Creek flip cap "just" clears the barrel (can slide 2 sheets of paper between the cap and the barrel) so for a 44mm Redfield objective I would go with the medium mounts.

Figure if the mounts are good enough for Weatherby to put their name on then they are good enough for my rifles that they built.
[imghttp://][/img]
[imghttp://[/img]

Hi galamb,

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but needed to ask you about your S2Sporter + Talley-Low + Burris 3-9x40 E1 setup, as I'm headed towards the exact same on my first Weatherby (shipping to my FFL at this moment). LA S2 synthetic with the older 30mm E1 scope version (assuming yours is the same?).

My question is how does the setup with the Talley lows work with cycling the bolt, e.g. any clearance issues or compromises as far as you can tell?  If I were willing to file down the back rear edge of the mount to accommodate the eyepiece / rear bell, do you have any reason to think Talley's EXTRA-low Rem 700 bases wouldn't work well?  It cuts both the front & rear bases down by a tenth of an inch - so .3"+.41" vs the .4"+.51" of the standard Rem & Vanguard "lows".

It's Talley part# 720700 for the Rem 700 Extra-lows.

Thanks

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
I used Leupold bases and rings on my weatherby, works fine for me, got them at Cabela's

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
Check the Talley website, but I do believe they produce different mounts for the Rem700 and Vanguard. I'd use the Vanguard ones.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie