Spike Camp

New Member saying Hi to all the members on the board

New Member saying Hi to all the members on the board
« on: August 05, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »
Just found my way to the website.  Have just purchased a Mark V in 300 Weatherby Lazermark and a Weatherby 22\250 in SVM.  Have wanted and lusted for a  Weatherby for over 35 years and now I have my dream rifle.  I can hardly wait for Sept15 (opening day)  I live in northern B.C. Canada and as you all know it do not get any better for hunting opportunities.  Took the 300 out to the range the other day and with the Leoupold 4.5/14-50MM I was able to get a 3 shot zero. Need less to say I was quite impressed. The recoil was hardly what I expected, its a puppy dog compared to my 308 Norma Magnum which was quite a nice  supprise .  I reload and am looking forward to spending many hours at the bench working up pet loads for the 300 and the 22/250.
Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
eaglesnester

JB257460

Re: New Member saying Hi to all the members on the board
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:56:23 AM »
Congrats on the purchase of your two new Weatherbys and for realizing your Weatherby dream!  Yes, B.C. is indeed a hunter's paradise.  I'm glad you found your .300 Weatherby easy to shoot and to shoot well.  I'm surprised to hear that your .308 Norma is so much harder to shoot since i thought it was closer to the .300 Win Mag.  Maybe the rifle and stock configuration have a lot to do with that.

Geoman66

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
Congratulations on you new Weatherbys.  I've got a couple myself, a 270 Wby Mag and a 240 Wby Mag.  I was very surprised how hard the 270 hits on a deer, and flat shooting, wow!  The 240, what can I say, it is a definate sweetheart!  A 300 yard shot with 95gr. Balistic Tip, no problem.  Then load it up with a 70 Balistic Tip, well, let's say a coyote's not safe a quarter mile.  I think you will definately enjoy those rifles.
Happy Hunting!

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:19:49 AM »
The 308 Norma Mag is a re-chambered pattern 17 Enfield.  It is heavy around 10 pounds as I had to add some lead to the stock and a decrelator pad to tame the recoil. I do think it is the stock configuration that makes it such a pig to shoot.  The recoil is almost as bad as my hunting partners custom 340 Weatherby mag loaded with 250 grain Speer Sp.  I shoot 200 grain Speer Sp. as the areas where I hunt have plenty of grumpy old men in fur coats ready to come in on your kill.
Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
eaglesnester