Spike Camp

300 Wby Mark V ultra lightweight not grouping tighter

300 Wby Mark V ultra lightweight not grouping tighter
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
Have a mark V ultra lightweight in 300 Wby mag, its not grouping any tighter than 3"-4" at 100yds.  I have tried two different types of ammo (nosler accubonds, barnes) both 180gr factory loads. Its had plenty of time between shots and no muzzle break, brand new vortex PST scope on it.  Any ideas on why its not grouping any tighter than it is?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 300 Wby Mark V ultra lightweight not grouping tighter
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 08:40:01 PM »
I took my new Mark V ultralight 300 win. Mag out to the range today for the 1st time. I mounted a new Leupold VX 3L CDS  last week, 1st box I used Hornady 180gr and best grouping off a sled was 6 inches!!! Next box was Barnes vortex 165 gr, the grouping went down to 2 1/2 inches, I got off the sled and used sand bag rest and stayed within 3 inch group for the rest of box. I've have heard of guns liking a particular cartridge over another cartridge, I've always blown it off. I'm now a believer!!
I hope to improve as I shoot my gun more, and get use to it. I bought another box of Barnes, and also a box of Federal Premium 165 gr.
By the way, I'm coming from the perspective of a hunter not an active target shooter. I've killed lots of game deer, bear down to squirrels and snakes, but along the way I certainly missed my share. I wish I had used a more open mind on the subject of a individual gun liking one cartridge over another.
Hope this helps.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
The first things I would do is give your barrel a good cleaning and check all your screws to make sure they're properly torqued.  After that I would try a different bullet and even try some that are a different weight.  Some rifles will shoot a variety of bullets well while others are very picky.  If none of that works I'd give Weatherby a call and talk with them about your problem.  They guarantee the accuracy and will make it right.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »
I would also check the crown at the end of the barrel, any attaching the rings rails or scope to the rifle.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »
With shooting Barnes bullets you have to keep a eye on the barrel they cause copper build up quickly and that will throw off your accuracy out the wondow real quick, if it's a new rifle Barnes even suggest not using there bullets until the barrel has had a proper break in period, with my 300 it didn't like 180 gr. Bullets at all I switched to 150 partitions and it dang near put them in the same hole but every rifle is diffrent

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
Hi folks,
 I would check the torque on the recoil lug and the others I think its in the spec sheets for it, 55 ft/lbs and main one is 70 ft / lbs. I like, what was already spoke of, use a 150 grain nosler partition and they are very accurate and they have great knock down power for a deer sized target. Weatherby has always stood by their rifles, should the change in ammo not help you call Weatherby and talk to a person. Good luck

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
I have a made in Japan Mark V Deluxe that I had converted over to an accumark stock and no 3 stainless fluted barrel with a muzzle break. In that I was curious if anyone out there in the nation had an opinion in regards to the performance of this iconic firearm as I have never had the chance to shoot it yet due to my hectic work schedule.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
I have a made in Japan Mark V Deluxe that I had converted over to an accumark stock and no 3 stainless fluted barrel with a muzzle break. In that I was curious if anyone out there in the nation had an opinion in regards to the performance of this iconic firearm as I have never had the chance to shoot it yet due to my hectic work schedule.

Life is short, you need to stop and smell the gun powder!!!  I don't think you'll find many negative opinions here on Weatherby rifles, especially on the 300 and 257 Bees. You own both of those and you are covered for anything on this continent. Welcome to the Nation, hopefully you get some shooting in soon. You might want to start your own thread under Around the Campfire if you have any specific questions.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

Fotis

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
The 300 Bee in the ultralightweight config is a true bear to get to shoot nicely.   Way too much whip for such a light barrel.  I personally have NEVER seen an accurate one
"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
Love mine. It did take awhile to figure it out though. Four rounds an hour is almost too much. Those thin barrels really heat up fast.  The action screws need to be retightened to weatherby specs. Not a rifle I would recommend for range use but it's an awesome hunting rig. I reload for it. 180 grain Barnes ttsx with 83 grains of h4831ssc and Federal magnum primers.