Spike Camp

6.5-300 Wby Ballistics

Re: 6.5-300 Wby Ballistics
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 07:03:41 PM »
I've never handled a Nosler rifle, but because it's cheaper it's a better design?  So the cheap GM cars are probably better designed than the high end Mercedes cars?  I far as case design and we will have to see how accurate the 6.5-300 turns out to be, I think way back in the day that cartridge once held the 1,000 yard accuracy record.  That 300 Wby case is very accurate along with the 257/270/7mm family and custom builders love to chamber them for this reason.  (and they are power houses)  Time will tell if the big 6.5 is going to be successful, but it has been introduced during a time when 6.5's have become popular. 
BPH

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »
I'm not saying that the Nosler rifle is a better design because it is cheaper, but does that mean that the Mark V is a better design simply because it is more expensive?  A Mercedes may be more expensive, but a Toyota or Honda may be more reliable and...cheaper.  Thus far, there haven't been many reports of quality issues with the Nosler rifle, so there is no basis to the statement that the Mark V is a "better" rifle. 

6.5mm have experienced past periods of popularity...how do you think we have the .264 Winchester Magnum and 6.5 Remington Magnum?  It is just coming around ~ 60 years later...again.   
JK

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
I never said the Mark V was a better rifle.  It is a damn fine one.  You said the Nosler was a better design.  I've never handled one.  The .264 Winchester was never really that popular was it?  Modern bullets used in competition with various inherently accurate 6.5 rounds have spurred the popularity in my opinion.  I've enjoyed the conversation!
BPH

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »
I have a 6.5-300 in a Mark V Ultra Lightweight that is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned shooting 127gr LRXs  well under an inch with both handloads and factory loads. Shoots 125 gr Partitions just as well. However it will absolutely not shoot either the 142 Gr ABLRs or the 143 gr ELDXs opening up to around 4". Think I will stick with the LRXs as they have done a pretty credible job on all game I have taken.