Spike Camp

Moose Hunt

Moose Hunt
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Heading to Burks Falls (James neck of the woods) on Saturday for a few days of moose hunting on my cousins newly purchased property. We only have calf tags so we will be limited but looking forward to getting back to the bush.
We are setting tree stands for future moose and deer hunts, will post results should luck prevail

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

Re: Moose Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:44:49 AM »
Lots of bulls and cows spotted but no opportunity to take a calf, it was encouraging to see a good number of adult animals though. The swamps and ponds were dry so the moose hug around inland lakes. Hopefully we will get drawn for an adult tag next year

Terry

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
Sorry to sound ignorant in the matter of moose hunting (which I'm, and never hunted them), but you can actually shoot calf?  Do you know why hunt calf versus adult cows or bulls? 

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
Depends on where you hunt.

In Ontario, Canada you buy your moose licence. The tag you get is good "only" for a calf moose.

You then enter a lottery/draw for an adult tag. So if you are unsuccessful you are left either hunting calves or not hunting. The draw results are not released until August of any given year, long after "plans and holidays" have been booked for the season which starts in late September to mid October, depending on the hunting zone.

What it boils down to is, the Ontario government wants our 50'ish bucks for a moose licence. They have to give us something to hunt for our money. If they seriously wanted to protect calves, like they say they do, they would cancel the calf hunt completely and only issue licences for adult moose - but that would result in licence revenue being cut by about 90% (last year 96,000 licences were sold, only 12,000 adult tags were issued).

And that is why some of us hunt calves...
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:07:34 AM »
Well I do not know about Ontario as I have never hunted there and don't belong to any sportsman associations there, but calf moose hunting is actually common in other jurisdictions as well. Where I live in some open areas....... meaning over the counter tags are available for some game units.......... it has been quite common for them to have seasons where you could kill a bull or a calf. I have also seen calf seasons in one form or another in areas of British Columbia and it is very common for them to kill calves in the Scandinavian countries.

The theory behind it is that most moose hunters are locals looking for meat. Calf moose mortality rates are high in many areas due to predation and the more remote the country the higher the mortality rate from wolves/bears. The common denominator to making more moose are the cows. A cow can only produce one or two calves per year, but a bull can breed a fair number of cows.

So the idea is to save the cows and shift as much of the hunting pressure, or allowable harvest if you will, onto the age and class of animal that can withstand the most pressure. That is the bulls and the calves. There is of course a limit as to what they can withstand as well, but all things being equal calves are a resource that are theoretically replaced every spring, while a breeding age cow that knows her stuff and can produce a calf and get it through the heat predation period during the first year of its life, takes a few years to replace.

This is just a quick gloss over............. but for meat hunters, calves are great table fare and they provide hunter opportunity.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
galamb and Maskwa...........very well said and factual

Terry

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »
Glad you guys were seeing animals Terry.Sounds good for next year.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »
galamb and Maskwa, thank you gents for the explanation.  Learn something new everyday....thanks!!!!