Spike Camp

Coywolves

eford

• View Profile
Re: Coywolves
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
I agree with Downeast.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 07:48:28 PM »
The front one looks more like a Germansheperd dog to me.The back one more coyoteish but the musculature doesn't look like a yote.Who knows.Fun to look at and talk about though.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »
I thought the same thing rodger . Years ago i saw a black coyote and did some research on it and found out that black coyotes were caused by a coyote breeding with a dog. So the coydogs n the coywolves are nothing new to the world. The coyotes we had back in upper michigan had a unusualy high average size at about 50 pounds could they have been coywolves most likely.
Dont stop shooting till their lungs are empty

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 05:24:49 AM »
Very interesting and, to a degree scary. I was unaware of this phenomenon.

A number of years ago, I owned a Belgian Shepherd - Canadian Timber Wolf hybred. At that time they were legal I New York. I spent a lot of time training, mine and he was great. But, others used these animals for fighting, etc. To mention capabilities, he could flex his digits.

If the Coywolf is anything like the hybred I owned it can be a formidable animal. If it is inhabiting placed along side humans, like the Coyote, it could present an animal that will act to prey on not only house pets but probably small humans. They could act like the Dingo which is known to have taken human babies.

If these animals are forming into packs those packs do present a threat to all because of their capability in a group.   
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

Jameson

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »
Great photo, Downeast! Hard to say exactly what they are, but if I had to guess, I would say both are some kind of coyote-hybrid. I know a gal, a naturalist, who runs sheep in Wyoming, as well as being a writer and photographer, and she wrote a book called "When Man Becomes Prey," about predator attacks on humans. It's an excellent book and a fascinating read, but her theory is that if you see a predator--any kind, from coyote to polar bear--you have a problem. I'm not talking about a glimpse of animal running away from you, or seeing one through your binoculars while you're out hunting, but if you see one around your house or one that doesn't run away when you're out hiking, that sort of thing, because it means that animal has lost its natural fear of man, and the next step after that is to see what you taste like. In the community in the next valley over from where I live, a bunch of retired city folks put out food and water to attract animals and think it's cute. (It's also illegal, but, hey, liberals don't pay attention to laws they don't like.) The predictable result has been more bear and mountain lion-human encounters. Several dogs have been killed, and multiple people have had encounters, some scary, but no humans killed--yet.

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
I just watched a documentary on the coywolf yesterday...........scientist claim they have been around since the early 1900's

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
There is something to your post Jameson about human close encounters with wild animals.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife biologist was talking about our pig problem a few years ago.He said that the feral hog is one of the smartest animals in the wilds of Texas.Also said that when you start seeing them run over by vehicles on the highway that there numbers are beyond eradication.He stated that they are smart enough to stay away from the highways until there numbers in the area are so high that they have to start using the land in close proximity to the road and then they begin to get hit.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

badsection

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
Hogs are getting hit by cars regularly here in Florida. Hunting them is almost a gimme. I haven't seen a coyote in a while here. My German Shepherd and I saw one a while back.  My dog went bonkers in an attempt to pursue. There are posters here about lost cats and small dogs. Lunch for Wiley or pythons?  ;D

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
 I can see how pigs would run most predators rite out of the area they have size and numbers.

badsection

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
While hunting hogs, I have seen bobcats and foot prints of the everglades panther (mountain lion). The coyote we saw was in my subdivision. I have seen hogs run over by 18 wheelers on I-95. I-95 is heavy traffic from Miami to New Hampshire, not too bad in Maine.  ;D

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 05:05:51 PM »
Next year i hope to go to fl on a hog hunt.

badsection

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »
No limit! You don't even need a hunting license on private property. The only restriction I know of is a 5 round mag.  It costs me $200 and a tip for the guides. Over 100lbs of freezer packed pork for under $3 a pound!   :)

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »
My buddy just bought property down there so im fixing to load up

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »
Looks like 2 domestic dogs out hunting to me.Back not shaggy enough for coyote and front looks like shepherd.
  (Tom is referring to a picture posted earlier by Downeast)

The link I'm posting is from the same time period as when Jameson first posted the original thread. The article is a bit lengthy, (which you don't have to read) but I posted it mainly for the 2 pictures of the Coywolves in the article. Eerie.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjl1-yn8q7bAhUMY6wKHVfDDuAQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.c-ville.com%2Fcoywolves-albemarle-county-new-species-calls-area-home%2F&psig=AOvVaw1yj-VSQkP6WaVyzkYfj6RJ&ust=1527819645935120
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 07:17:15 AM »
We've shot coyotes in western Maryland that were as big as a large german shepherd.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!