Spike Camp

Franken Buck

Clarkw

Franken Buck
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
Had some great Hunting over Thanksgiving.  Does, a spike and this crazy looking cull buck I shot. 

We were on doe patrol but also told to shoot anything not typical.  He qualifies. 

Re: Franken Buck
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »
Sounds like a good hunt Clarke.Congrats.Did your wife and son score on some of those?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Clarkw

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
Roger,

My wife shot two doe (one with her new 223 wssm).  My son did a double with a spike and a doe.  The doe decided she wanted to eat acorns 50 yards away so I gave him the green light.  A friend of mine also came on the trip and shot four doe.  My total was three doe and this buck. 

Was a lot of cleaning.  My daughter who has never hunted, came on the trip.  She chose not to hunt, but tried her hand at skinning a deer.  She did a great job and took to it quickly.  I was shocked.

The ranch is way behind on managing the heard and working hard playing catch up.  Ten of the twelve were donated to Hunters for the Hungry. 

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
Congrats Clark, and to everyone else that took deer. Looks like a small dent was put on the doe population. Are you gonna have any kind of mount done with Franken?
DosEquisShooter

Clarkw

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:46:26 PM »
Danno, I am indeed.  He is so unique that I am going to do a European mount on him.  Not sure if you can tell, there is a drop tine at the base of his left main beam.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
Sounds like a great weekend.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 04:48:02 PM »
Outstanding weekend!  Franken buck deserves to be displayed, good going on the Euro mount.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:56:15 PM »
That sounds like a cool weekend  8)

Rob

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
We had a mule deer buck that hung around here that grew antlers on one side only for a couple years. Haven't seen him for a while now.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

Jameson

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:41:52 AM »
Glad you had such a great hunt. I know that in high-fence places, or in other countries where the game is carefully managed, you would be a popular guy with the local game manager because those bucks (or bulls, or stags) that have single spikes like that on one side can kill an awful lot of other, more valuable bucks with that single spike.
JP

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »
I hadn't thought about that Jameson, thats a great observation. That straight up main beam would act as a dagger.
DosEquisShooter