Spike Camp

Weatherby Nostalgia

musicman

• View Profile
Weatherby Nostalgia
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
In a gun related email I received today, a friend stated, "Remember some banks would give you a gun to open an account there."  I said, as a kid I remember those ads in the back of some of the gun magazines.  Bank Of Boulder comes to mind.  Open an account with them with so and so many thousands of dollars, and receive a brand spankin' new......
Weatherby Mark V rifle.  And the photo they showed was always an absolutely gorgeous rifle.  I assume you would not have been able to touch the money then for a number of years, but I think that was innovative marketing.  It seems though if you had that kind of coin to put away and not be able to touch for years, you'd just go out and buy a brand new Mark V.  But this way you got your interest money up front first, with something really nice.  Did any of you get a Weatherby that way.  MM

badsection

Re: Weatherby Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
Ha! I'm old enough to remember those ads. Shoulda, Coulda, woulda as my father said, don't amount to nothing! I shoulda!   ;D

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
I'm Canadian and I remember those add's very well, my older brother and I always said those Americans are so dam lucky, open a bank account and get a free Weatherby rifle........lucky buggers !
The Weatherby 6.5 RPM...............what the 264 Win Mag wishes it was !

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »
I'm Canadian and I remember those add's very well, my older brother and I always said those Americans are so dam lucky, open a bank account and get a free Weatherby rifle........lucky buggers !

Wouldn't "Little Pierre" have a fit if a bank or business tried that today?
We will probably have a new long gun registry if he has his way.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
I have a 26" Varmintmaster that has the Supreme scope on it that is a Bank of Boulder interest gun.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:34:57 PM by 224KING »
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 10:43:02 PM »
before my time, but a really cool idea.  8)  How much did you have to deposit and keep in the account to get the rifle??

Rob

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »
I don't remember the exact dollar amount you had to put up at the time,but it was exactly like a CD.Except instead of the interest when your CD came due you got the rifle when you deposited the money.There were different amounts you could do.Depending on what gun you wanted.The Varmintmasters were cheaper than the Mark V's.It also had to do with the package you wanted.Scoped rifle with accessories or just a bare rifle.Pretty neat idea.At the time they were offering this deal interest rates were high,or headed high.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:53 AM »
I also recall those days. But, they are long gone just like TV Westerns.
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 05:45:58 AM »
Like Bad said coulda , woulda, shoulda. I remember those adds.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 06:58:44 AM »
Maybe Unclekax will weigh in on this thread and give some more details:

Re: 1974 Weatherby Christmas Card
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

19 years ago I deposited $500 in a bank/bond in northern michigan and received a mark v .257 wby mag.
Next year I get the $500 back...or so the deal was.  I still have the paperwork in the safe......somewhere....

Unclekax
DosEquisShooter

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
.224 King, did they put a medallion or something in the stock to signify it was a Bank Of Boulder Weatherby.  I sent off for one of their brochures, and it had a schedule of how it worked with whichever amount you would put in.  $1000, $5000, $10,000, and how long it had to sit there.  And it had a few options on the Weatherby.  MM

wvwoods

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
That was back in the day when a savings account would yield 6 or 7 % interest.
I can remember seeing those adds in the shotgun news and the American rifleman.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
Musicman,my Varmintmaster does not have any significant marking that it is a Bank of Boulder gun.Previous owner lived in Colorado and told me it was one of them.Have no way of knowing for a fact.It might show it on a letter of authenticity,but have not gone to that trouble to prove it up.

Remember 10534

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
I recall those ads well and still have some old Outdoor Life mags form the 50's with the ads in. I was probably ten when I first began to see them. By the time I got to Colorado at 50yo the ads were gone and so was the Bank of Boulder. I have heard there were car dealerships would give a Wby with new truck purchase, but I think they are/was in TX
svenska50@hotmail.com
NRA LIFE MEMBER

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »
Boy we must a bunch of old f@rts if we can remember those ads.....LOL!!!!!!  The good old days.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".