Spike Camp

Does Your Rifle Hate Copper Ammo?

Mike

• View Profile
Re: Does Your Rifle Hate Copper Ammo?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 12:13:33 AM »
It's taken me a while to get back to this thread. Been traveling... and hunting. The good news is I finally found a rifle that shoots copper. My new Ruger all weather Hawkeye in .338 Federal shoots the 185-grain TSX right at MOA. That's good, but not great, because I want to sight that one in with 210 grain partitions for an island bear hunt in the spring. My new Kimber Montana .308 didn't fare as well with the TSX on its first outing, but I've put a Simms barrel deresonator on it and will see if it tightens up as the barrel breaks in. Will also retry my old Vanguard in .270 Win, which I just got back from Weatherby. That's the first gun I've ever owned that had so many rounds through it I needed to rebarrel. Dropped it in an Accuguard stock as well, and the Weatherby techs report it shot MOA groups with 130 grain TSX, so there's hope yet... Can't wait to see what it does with lead!

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 09:48:25 PM »
It is unbelievable how one person's experience can differ so uch from another's.  For me I can honestly say that Barnes TSX bullets are as or more accurate than any other bullets I have tried out of all of my rifles. 
I know that may sound like a bold and even b-crap statement, but i do promise you it is true. 
The only one that is even close is the 240 (MK V ULW) w/ the 70-gr  ballistic tips compared to the 85-gr TSX, both too accurate and not really enough testing to tell a difference.

Next to the 257 (MK V ULW), 100-gr TSX outshoots the 115gr accubond, 100-gr spire point, 115-gr ballistic tips by far!

The 30-378 (MK V Accumark) is no exception w/ the 180gr TSX's flying much truer than the 165-gr ballistic tips, and 180-gr partitions. 

Also, 300 WSM in a Rem XCR loved the 165gr TSX...but to be fair, the only bullet i ever tried other that barnes was the win XP3 which i realize is also a copper bullet.  The difference was drastic.

Let me also mention that Conley Precision Ammo loaded a majority of the barnes ammo i used while a majority of the other loads were a veriety of factory loads from Weatherby to Federal to Winchester and Nosler Custom

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
I just got back from the range. My second loads for my .338 RUM turned out great.I upped the powder by 1gr. with both the 185gr TSX and the 210gr. TTSX.It turned a shotgun target into sub1" 5 shot groups at 100yds. No bruises to see,yet from the  recoil out of my 8lb (including scope) sporter. :)

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
I might have a chance to hunt hogs later this week.I`m planning to take  my .338 loaded with 210gr. TTSX`s. Keeping my fingers crossed,maybe I`ll have a chance to check how well they perform on a South Florida hog(yes,we need bug repellant year `round ;D).Thermacells work great,BTW.

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »
I have had two Mark V's that I trade for that I couldn't get to shoot under 2" for anything.  Tried all my favorite bullets and all produced poor accuracy.  Then I tried the Barnes Bullets, and they both shot under moa with the copper bullets.  I'm glad I found one they each like, but don't want the added cost of the copper bullets.  In my other rifles that are tack drivers I have had good accuracy with the Barnes, but not better than what I can get with other brands and types.