Spike Camp

Scope fit

brnwlms

Scope fit
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »
I just ordered a Arroyo RC in 340 Weatherby Mag, and as I have some time till delivery, I can overanalyze the optics mounting and optics setup. I will be mounting a Leupold VX-6 in either 2-12 or 3-18 and am hoping to use Talley fixed ring  setup and that is where my question comes in. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar setup? I am wondering if this setup has enough room to mount properly. On other rifles, I have had issues with scopes being too short and requiring a reversible style base or an extended ring, granted using a smaller scope.

Thanks everyone,

-Brian

Re: Scope fit
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
If your using Talley Lightweight mounts 30mm Low are good to 44mm scopes according to there website, Mediums are good for up to 50mm scopes.
The Weatherby 6.5 RPM...............what the 264 Win Mag wishes it was !

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to get a hold of Talley - they are great and will get back to you if you email (or give them a call).

They do provide "general guidelines" on the Q/A but that doesn't apply every time.

I mounted a 2-10X42 Burris Veracity, so by the (chart) I should have been able to get away with 30 mm lightweight low rings but glad I emailed. The tech guy told me to go with medium rings because of 1) the outer dimensions of the bell on the Eyepiece end and 2) because I had a 90 degree bolt lift - said the bolt would interfere with the bell if I used low rings.

Sure enough, with that particular scope and with that bolt lift the bolt handle comes within a hair of touching the bell - if the rifle had a 60 degree bolt then low rings would have worked fine, but not in my "particular case".

They seem to be pretty knowledgeable (or have a decent database of scope dimensions etc) as to what will fit what. Not such a big deal if you are buying your mounts locally, but in my case, where I have to order them in, don't always have the luxury of trying something and returning it in case of improper fit.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 08:04:10 AM »
Just to confirm what galamb says above I have called or emailed Talley several times with questions and they are very knowledgeable and helpful, there service is second to none.

Let us know how things turn out when you get your rifle and scope put together and or post some pictures please.
WF
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:05:59 AM by WeatherbyFan 65 »
The Weatherby 6.5 RPM...............what the 264 Win Mag wishes it was !