Spike Camp

Which one for Moose??

Which one for Moose??
« on: April 10, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
Hey Guys, sounds like I may be getting a Moose Hunt lined up for the beginning of October in British Columbia. My Dad is lining it up with a friend of his that owns a bunch of property near Prince George.

I've never hunted them before and am really really looking forward to it, just wondering what your guys thought are. I'm either taking my 300 Weatherby Euromark or my 375 WBY Mag Euromark that I picked up a couple years ago. I also have the option to take my Dads 340, which is probably a "perfect" choice, however I would rather use one of my own.
I know that Moose are shot daily with calibers much smaller/less powerful then a 300 mag so I know the 300 Weatherby is great plenty, only reason I'm thinking about my 375 is that I have never hunted with it and have no idea what I would for quite sometime.
I'm no expert on Moose, however it seems that they are something you can generally get fairly close to and I can't imagine ever needing to shoot 300 or more yards?
My Dad is taking his 338-378.
If I take my 300 I would more then likely use a 180 TSX or 200 Partition depending on which shoots better. If I went with my 375 I would use the factory loaded 300 Partitions assuming they shoot well.
Sounds like the last few years their average Bull was around 45" with a few up in the 50" range.
Just curious as to what you guys recommend, I know there's no such thing as being over gunned, however it seems like the research I've done, there is a lot more moose harvested with 300's, 30-06's, and 7 Mags then 375's?

Re: Which one for Moose??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »
Congrats on the hunt.One of the guys from Canada (forget who ) said they were not too difficult to kill.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
roger is right, moose are not difficult to kill, easier than elk. I've taken moose with my 300 Wby and 375 H&H and both calibers worked very well. In the 30 cal's  premium bullets from 180 gr to 200 gr work very well, and in the 375's any soft point from 260gr to 300 gr will work. Take the one your most comfortable with.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:41:16 AM »
A friend of mine up in British Columbia has taken several moose with a 270WSM, so if it were me, I'd be carrying the rifle among those you listed which meets the following criteria:

1. You shoot it with good precision out to 1.5x the distances you expect to see moose on this trip.
2. The optics are reliable and provide the field of view you deem appropriate for the terrain/habitat in which you'll be hunting.
3. You ~~want~~ to hunt with this rifle.  Life's too short to leave a rifle with which you want to hunt, at home.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
I live in Eastern Canada (Ontario) and our moose are a slightly different sub-species (ours are a little smaller on average).

Now a few years back we got a 1500 pound bull that sent a little over 900 pounds to the butcher - but more typically ours go in the 800-1000 pound range for a mature bull which will yield 400/500 pounds of meat - the Yukon strain, which you get in BC, tend to go 10-20% "heavier" on average.

So regardless you have a "big target" to start with.

Secondly, moose, when mature and healthy, don't really have (not really) any natural predators and in many cases they have never seen a human - so they will let you get really close.

The most challenging part of a moose hunt in "getting to where they are", in the end they are only slightly tougher than shooting a cow on a farm. Even a first time hunter with no stalking skills at all can "routinely" get within 100 yards of a moose - I have hunted them for close to 40 years now and honestly can't remember one that was shot beyond 75 yards. Unless you don't want to walk, you can get really close.

And that's the primary reason that you can get away with "lesser" calibers. For years I hunted with a 30.06 but now have switched to a 7.08. The guy I hunt with uses a 243 (don't want to argue that one, but wouldn't use my 243 unless all my other rifles were non-functional).

Over the years more of the moose on our hunting trips that I have seen shot fell to a 303 than anything else by at least a 5:1 margin. I even hunted with one large group for a while (a dozen guys) and that 1500 pound moose I mentioned above was shot with a lever action rifle chambered in 45 Colt - again, not my choice, but took down the largest moose I have ever been a part of hunting.

I hunt them every year and been doing it for a long time - I am more than comfortable with anything 7mm (non-mag) or larger - I personally believe that is "more than enough rifle".

Some guys will talk about "insurance" - as in shoot a 340 "just in case" - the vitals on a moose are 30" to 36" wide - if you need "insurance" with a target area that size, then maybe you need to take up another sport :)

If your rifle is only 4 MOA accurate @ 700 yards you could still hit the vitals - consider that for a moment....

(edit to add - I used 180 grain partitions until A-Frames hit the market in the 1980's. When I went to the 7.08 the bullets stayed the same, just went down to 140 grains (partition or A-Frame) - the hide is tougher than deer, so I feel confident with a slightly "tougher" bullet, but you don't need to go super crazy - they aren't made of kevlar and titanium)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:30:08 PM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll have to just do some shooting and pick one this summer, I was mainly leaning towards my 375 because like Duby mentioned, I hate just leaving a gun at home and not using it. It sounds as though it may be overkill though, I just don't foresee myself affording a big Coastal Brown or Cape Buffalo anytime soon, so the moose I figured would be my most logical chance at using it.
My 300 has a VX-3 3.5-10x50 on it and I have yet to scope my 375, was thinking perhaps a VX-3 2.5-8, what do you guys with 375's have on them for optics?

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »
On my Brno ZKK 602 in .375 H&H I have a VX3 1.75-6x32 in quick release leupold rings. Then on my Titan 6 in .375 Ruger I have the VX3 2.5-8x36. I find those 2 scopes to be just about perfect for the .375 calibres.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of the 375s.I have a Howa in 375 Ruger and it gets about 1.5 moa.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »
I use a VX7 1.5-6 on my 375 Wby and and a older V-III 1.5-5 on my 375 H&H, and I find those work well for most hunting you do with the 375's.

Roger, my older sako 375 H&H will shoot most factory ammo MOA or less, and reloads easily sub MOA. My 375 WBY will shoot the factory Weatherby ammo on average 1.75 moa. With reloads it will shoot the 300 gr accubonds and hornady round nose's sub moa. I haven't had time to try the 270 and 300 gr TSX's in it yet.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
Weatherbyman, I think the 375 with the Leupold 2.5x8 sounds like a great combo, and don't worry, whichever 375 bullet you choose will only kill the moose, not overkill him. Ha Ha! Seriously, if you or we have to wait until you go on an elephant hunt to use the 375, you may have to wait a lot longer before your able to use it.  We all know that some lesser calibers could do the job, but why restrict yourself, our big caliber rifles don't do us any good sitting in the safe. Hope your father and son hunt produce a good moose for each of you. Good Luck
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 07:25:41 AM »
Was not a member in April, Moose are easy to tip over, my 2014 tag was filled with a 6.5 swede at 100 yds, made 10 yds after impact. I put the 155 gr lapua mega in his boiler room.

Mooseman31

• The mountians are calling and i must go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
I have shot a few moose. My first one was with a 25-06. Since then i have taken two with a 300wby with a 180gr nosler partition and 180gr hornady, and another with a 270WSM with a 130gr accubond.
The 300 WBY is my go to moose gun and i recommend it to a lot of people. Now if i can just get my wife to shoot her moose with the my 300 this year!!
William.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 01:35:33 AM »
Use the one you shoot the best. Shot placement is always key!
Ken 
Respect the game, respect the hunt.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 06:59:03 AM »
Of the 300 180 gn factory loads from Weatherby, which would you guys choose for Moose?
Obviously the one that shoots the best, assuming they all shoot relatively close, what would you guys that have hunted moose choose?
Have had excellent luck with the Spire Point loads in my 240 and 7mm Bees on deer size game, would it hold up in a 300 if I were to get a real close shot, there's some decent deals on line for them right now.
I was planning on working up my own loads using a 180 TTSX however it's looking less and less likely that I will have time for that before the hunt is here.
Just curious?

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 05:56:16 PM »
When I was still shooting 30 cal for Moose it was either an A-Frame or a Partition in 180 grains.

Given the options/choices for the 300 Wby, I would use, in order of preference:

180 Partition
180 Accubond (either at any range, but good insurance if you end up hitting a shoulder - will slow bullwinkle down enough to get a second shot in him without him wandering too far)

If you are fairly sure you will be shooting @ 200 yards or less then

either the Norma Spitzer or the Hornady Spire point - again, 180 grains although a 165 Spire would not be a disadvantage at lesser distances and a heart/lung shot with a cup/core does a nice job - moose can't get far with no heart or lungs.

I would stay completely away from the SST - not a moose round.

I didn't mention the TTSX because I have little use for mono bullets although in a 300 Wby they would perform as designed - I just don't see the advantage unless you are hunting in lead free zones.

Moose don't wear kevlar. They will let you get close. They have a huge vital area and more have been killed with traditional cup/core bullets than everything else combined. So don't think yourself "undergunned" if you go with a spitzer/spire - if they shoot well, they will take down a Moose without issue.

PS - don't forget that the vital area on a moose is in the 18 to 22 inch range. The difference between a sub-moa and 1.5 moa bullet "just doesn't matter" until you get out towards 700 yards - even a 4 moa rifle will hit the vitals at 300 yards - so laser precision is not essential.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!