Spike Camp

info on vanguard select

ctw

info on vanguard select
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »
        Info on vanguard select or vse; are these pre vanguard series 2? Salesman told me it comes with the floor plate. thanks for any information. ctw

galamb

• View Profile
Re: info on vanguard select
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
The Select is a (new) 2016 model of the Vanguard II.

It is the lowest priced model of the entire Vanguard line.

I has the same action/barrel/floor plate mag/trigger etc they have just (by the look of it) gone a little more "frugal" on the stock to get the MSRP down to just under 600 bucks ($599) - the regular "synthetic" lists at $649.

I ordered some of these because I believe it will appeal to two types of my customers.

1) the ones that would replace the synthetic Vanguard stock - this "even cheaper" stock saves them 50 bucks compared to the other offerings and they are going to go with a Boyds or a B&C anyhow, so they are happy, and

2) the guys/gals who count every buck in their wallet and they don't care that they will get a better stock by spending 50 or 100 bucks more - they just want the "cheapest" they can find - nothing wrong with that, some just need a "rifle" to take to deer camp for the week with the boys where they will spend more time drinking beer than sitting the stand for Bambi.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

ctw

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »
   thanks galamb for the info, i have one coming in for me in 270 win. Just wanted a more reasonably priced rifle for a carry around gun here on my farm for woodchucks,deer,and occasional target practice; sort of to take the heat off my mark 5's.  ctw   

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
Perfect rifle for that - they shoot awesome
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:00:19 AM »
Perfect rifle for that - they shoot awesome

I agree with Graham, they shoot awesome and have about the nicest out of the box trigger I have seen on a rifle.

I have or have had 5 different Vanguard 2 rifles and all of them shoot or have shot MOA or better with factory ammo, I highly recommend the Vanguard S2, you wont be disappointed.
I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor on order.
Maple Ridge,BC, Canada and when I can as many days as possible at our family cabin on Loon Lake,BC

ctw

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
    I appreciate the input galamb, and weatherbyfan65.  I'm starting to feel like the nation members on here waiting with anticipation for their 6.5x300 weatherbys to arrive. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this vanguard select in .270 win.   thanks, ctw

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 05:50:54 AM »
Times change, and so do prices, but tapping into a winning formula is something that isn't revised easily, only refined as time goes on. Not all gun writers received the original Vanguards with open arms, and a lot of people wouldn't give them a second look, because it had a tupperware stock and didn't offer any refinements. As it turned out, even with the hollow sounding stock, and some with rough triggers, almost all of them in all calibers produced moa groups, and in many cases .5 moa and better. I believe the Vanguard Select is a kind of throwback to the original vanguard, but this time instead of no frills, you get a premium 2 stage trigger, bit stiffer stock, and a guaranteed .99 moa, which in most cases could be easily achieved with the right ammo. My original Vanguard in 270 Win. is my most accurate Vanguard rifle, so don't be surprised if your 270 Win. shoots lights out and becomes your go to rifle for most of your hunting. The 270 is a great caliber, and for the money, the Wby Vanguard Select is all a hunter needs to be successful every time. It'll shoot with the best of em any day of the week.     
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:09:24 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 01:07:03 PM »
I realise this isn't a Vanguard Select but its the same rifle with a different colored stock, here's my latest Vanguard S2 in 240 wby mag, and some outstanding accuracy with Weatherby Factory ammo 85gr TSX

The target below is a friend of mine that has my last 240 Vanguard S2, seems to be a common theme with these rifles !

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:08:38 PM by WeatherbyFan 65 »
Maple Ridge,BC, Canada and when I can as many days as possible at our family cabin on Loon Lake,BC

jw333

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 02:58:50 PM »
I also started a thread on the Select model back in January; as I was curious about any differences between it and the existing  S 2 Synthetic.

Below is Ed Weatherby's response:

Re: Question on Vanguard Select (new 2016 model)
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:13:52 AM
The new select is identical to the synthetic except it does not have the soft grip inserts.

ctw

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »
    Well it does'nt get any more crystal clear then that,especialy coming from Ed Weatherby himself. Thanks jw333, and all others who posted on this subject to enlighten me.  By the way weatherbyfan65; that's some mighty fine shooting.  ctw

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
So they remove the soft grip inserts and you save another $50 bucks, what a country or, I mean company.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 01:08:57 AM »
I think it looks better without the inserts.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

jw333

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 07:14:45 AM »
I agree.....       I like the all black stock on the Select.       

(I also liked the different color stocks of the WBY -X line.  Too bad some of them were discontinued.)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 05:42:41 PM »
I liked my original vanguard with the black syn stock, and the select kinda reminds me of it. But if you get tired of all black stock rifles looking alike, any synthetic stock can be camo painted or camo dipped for a different look.   
DosEquisShooter

jw333

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
I came across a Select with a Stainless barrel for sale on GB.    I talked to the seller and he mentioned it was a special run that Weatherby did.   I only saw it available in 243 Win however.