Spike Camp

My weatherby blew up/warranty process

My weatherby blew up/warranty process
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:25:26 PM »
Well here's the short end of the story.
My shotgun blew up less than 1 old. I've sent it to the CDN Weatherby service depot last October(Ellwood Epps). That depot has yet to make an effort to contact me back, or give me an answer when I phone. Not very helpful on the phone.
Weatherby customer service , although you are very kind and friendly on the phone, I know you will not have any answers right away. How ever you tell me you will contact me back and have failed to do so on many occasions.
This is a $700 shotgun that I've shipped away, I know it has arrived last October, I would just really enjoy to know what is going on.
Frankly it's simple too me. I'm no gunsmith, but the firearm was a right off. There should have been a new firearm in the mail after the first place looked at it. Then you can keep the blown up one and do whatever tests you need to do.
Instead all I've heard is yada yada blah blah I'll look in to it sir and call you back.
No one calls back !!
It's been 6 months of me being very kind trying to figure out where my shotgun is. Up here in Canada we have a short summer to enjoy the shooting season. And summer is quickly coming upon us.
I've tried all I can try to get this resolved. We'll see where this takes me.
Thanks

galamb

• View Profile
Re: My weatherby blew up/warranty process
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
Perhaps you could describe how your shotgun "blew up".

And if it really is a warranty issues as opposed to something else, then your dis-satisfaction is actually with Epps and not Weatherby.

Us up here in Canada should realize that when we buy a firearm (just about any firearm) that should there be an issue that we are going to be dealing with an "agent or authorized repair center" for the parent company and that the parent may have little to no control over the process (other than being able to remove them from their approved list or whatever).

Epps is a huge operation that does warranty and repair work for "many" manufactures, and while that doesn't excuse "no contact or no word" for a number of months, if that is in fact the case, you really need to take it up with them. If they have not yet determined that it's actually a warranty issue, then coming on the Weatherby website to air your grievance with Epps is a little premature.

Rifles and shotguns do not "tend to blow up" unless the barrel is blocked or obstructed - in either case that would not be a warranty issue.

So perhaps share your entire story....

Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:10:43 PM »
Can you explain what happened when the gun "blew up"? I would hope you took pictures of the damage.Please post the pictures so can see the damage.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
It either slam fired or detonated the shell before the slide locked. It was my first shotgun with less then 10 boxes threw, so I'm no expert but I simply pulled the trigger. Pic up if it worked.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 09:18:24 PM »
Perhaps you could describe how your shotgun "blew up".

And if it really is a warranty issues as opposed to something else, then your dis-satisfaction is actually with Epps and not Weatherby.

Us up here in Canada should realize that when we buy a firearm (just about any firearm) that should there be an issue that we are going to be dealing with an "agent or authorized repair center" for the parent company and that the parent may have little to no control over the process (other than being able to remove them from their approved list or whatever).

Epps is a huge operation that does warranty and repair work for "many" manufactures, and while that doesn't excuse "no contact or no word" for a number of months, if that is in fact the case, you really need to take it up with them. If they have not yet determined that it's actually a warranty issue, then coming on the Weatherby website to air your grievance with Epps is a little premature.

Rifles and shotguns do not "tend to blow up" unless the barrel is blocked or obstructed - in either case that would not be a warranty issue.

So perhaps share your entire story....

I don't see how it's pre mature if it was 6 months ago.. Weatherby has said they'd figure it out and has failed, so I came here hoping for answers.
Upon initial phone call with weatherby when I explained what happened they seemed very concerned, obviously not wanting it to be a problem elsewhere. They said ship it across provinces so they can check it asap. So it arrived a week after incident.
All in asking for is answers, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to look at the gun, from there a phone call for parts or a new one.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 11:20:37 PM »
Ouch.Thst doesn't look good.Why don't you give Weatherby in the USA a call Monday.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 07:20:18 AM »
I'm no expert, but I've never heard of or seen anything like the picture you have posted, as far as shotgun damage. As galamb said, Rifles and shotguns do not "tend to blow up" unless the barrel is blocked or obstructed. An obstructed barrel would most likely cause the barrel to split to some degree. Your damage is definitely different. You say you have contacted Weatherby customer service in Paso Robles, did you happen to send the picture you have posted, or do you know if Ellwood Epps sent any pictures to Weatherby in US? JMO but, if Epps has not, or cannot make the call, and Weatherby USA has pictures of damage, (after 6 months with no answer) I think Weatherby USA should request that Epps forward the shotgun to them for inspection and determination on damages. Again jmo and their may be some legalities come into play that I'm not aware of, but 6 months seems to be plenty of time to determine a warranty issue. Don't know who you spoke with before, but I can tell you that Weatherby representative, Ms Sheila T, follows these threads closely, and I'm sure she will know what channels to go through to address your problem. Good Luck
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:24:17 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 07:41:07 AM »
I wasn't suggesting that you didn't call Weatherby at all, but your "initial issue" lies with Epps.

If they are dragging their feet on doing anything then absolutely contact Weatherby, give them the details and see if they can do any pushing from their end.

After that if they couldn't or wouldn't help then I'm all for going to "open forums" to air your grievance, I just feel you skipped a step or two here.

At this point it's Epps, and not Weatherby that seems to be the issue.

If I was not getting satisfaction from Epps I would send them a registered letter asking them to return the firearm to you along with any notes etc or findings they may have made and ship it off to the "other" Weatherby warranty center out in BC - yes, more work on your part, but if they won't talk to you and have had your shotgun for "months", there is probably very little that Weatherby in California can do at this point.

You don't have the firearm, you don't exactly know what happened with it, Epps certainly isn't forthcoming or they haven't even looked at it, so you are kinda stuck. Even if Weatherby is concerned and want's to help you out (which I'm sure they are), you don't have a lot to work with at the moment.

That's the only point I was trying to make.

With no other pictures to go on other than the one you posted, "to me" it looks like the shell fired, failed to eject, and was carried forward again and the "empty case" was "squished" by the pressure of the breech trying to close. BUT that is just a guess based on a single picture.

Or are you saying that the gun fired without the breech fully closed and a bunch of gasses blew out "through the ejection port" when you pulled the trigger?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:49:58 AM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 09:21:30 AM »
I wasn't suggesting that you didn't call Weatherby at all, but your "initial issue" lies with Epps.

If they are dragging their feet on doing anything then absolutely contact Weatherby, give them the details and see if they can do any pushing from their end.

After that if they couldn't or wouldn't help then I'm all for going to "open forums" to air your grievance, I just feel you skipped a step or two here.

At this point it's Epps, and not Weatherby that seems to be the issue.

If I was not getting satisfaction from Epps I would send them a registered letter asking them to return the firearm to you along with any notes etc or findings they may have made and ship it off to the "other" Weatherby warranty center out in BC - yes, more work on your part, but if they won't talk to you and have had your shotgun for "months", there is probably very little that Weatherby in California can do at this point.

You don't have the firearm, you don't exactly know what happened with it, Epps certainly isn't forthcoming or they haven't even looked at it, so you are kinda stuck. Even if Weatherby is concerned and want's to help you out (which I'm sure they are), you don't have a lot to work with at the moment.

That's the only point I was trying to make.

With no other pictures to go on other than the one you posted, "to me" it looks like the shell fired, failed to eject, and was carried forward again and the "empty case" was "squished" by the pressure of the breech trying to close. BUT that is just a guess based on a single picture.

Or are you saying that the gun fired without the breech fully closed and a bunch of gasses blew out "through the ejection port" when you pulled the trigger?

Thanks for the helpful replying everyone.

The bolt is actually jammed back, stuck how it is in the picture. The shell was stuck to the firing pin. The bolt release button is also off Center and unable to press. And the most obvious thing is the magazine spring retainer, it's physically bent down 45 degrees then twisted a quarter turn as well. The inside of the receiver shows all kinds of small chipping and burrs.
The gun was in pretty much mint condition I kept it clean and it worked flawlessly until the one shot.

I appreciate all the helpful responses.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 04:05:52 AM »
Could it have been the shell? I've seen brand name shotgun shells with no powder in them that just go "pop". So, why not a shell that had a double charge or maybe even the wrong powder? Even if the odds are a million to one, somewhere there is that one in a million bad shell laying around.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
Could it have been the shell? I've seen brand name shotgun shells with no powder in them that just go "pop". So, why not a shell that had a double charge or maybe even the wrong powder? Even if the odds are a million to one, somewhere there is that one in a million bad shell laying around.
Very first call I made was from the store I bought the gun from. They recommended to call weatherby , then the shell manufacturer to see if they wanted any info off the box. The call with the shell manufacturer went very good, they were fairly confident it wasn't the shell but still took all the info down.

Both Weatherby and the shell manufacturer took the situation very serious on my first phone calls. They both asked right away if anyone was hurt, thankfully no. Obviously it's a huge safety issue if this could be a bad batch of shells or firearms.

You are right about the million to 1, and it could have been the 1, but that would be hard to test once it's blown in pieces.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 08:11:33 AM »
Please forgive me, and I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.  Did you check to make sure that shell is the right size for the shotgun?  I.e. 2 3/4" or 3" shell?  Reason I'm asking is maybe the shell went into the chamber and the metal part was not fully supported when you pulled the trigger, and since the shell was not supported the weakest link was the brass and your case exploded.  I don't know if a shotgun would fire like that or not, but some semi rifles will.  Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you find out. 

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 07:56:13 AM »
Please forgive me, and I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.  Did you check to make sure that shell is the right size for the shotgun?  I.e. 2 3/4" or 3" shell?  Reason I'm asking is maybe the shell went into the chamber and the metal part was not fully supported when you pulled the trigger, and since the shell was not supported the weakest link was the brass and your case exploded.  I don't know if a shotgun would fire like that or not, but some semi rifles will.  Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you find out.

3" shotgun is capable of shooting 2 3/4.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
Well not sure if this thread helped. However weatherby did call last week to inform me a new gun is being shipped to a store in Canada and that store will contact me in the next 2 weeks.
Again the people on the phone at weatherby were very friendly and kind. My only critic is to get some type of update in between. Even if it took 2 months to get a call I would have been okay, but 6 months is a little to long in my opinion.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »
I am whiling to bet your post here had something to do, and I'm glad you are getting a new shotgun.  I would take this up with management  of the company you shipped your shotgun to, and courtesy copy to Weatherby. Hopefully you'll have better luck with this shotgun. Good luck!