Spike Camp

Hog Pictures

Hog Pictures
« on: July 20, 2016, 04:48:27 AM »
Hey Weatherby Nation. Let's see those hog pics!

My favorite thing about hog hunting is it's year round, rain or shine, day or night (in Texas). It allows me to hone my skills and spend lots of time in the great outdoors. Not to mention they taste great!

The first picture is my first hog ever. We didn't get him on a scale, but boy was it hard to drag that big sucker out of the woods! He was shot near College Station, TX. The next one was my first hog in Georgia, and my first kill with a Weatherby!
The last two we shot on the same property as the first one. They were my first pistol kill and my first with the AR.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:57:49 PM by Cbloom20 »
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Hog Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »
Hogs in the crosshairs. Only the hog with the 44 mag pistol laying on top of him was shot with open sights. The other pictures are mis titled, and were shot with a 7 mag.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:56:23 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »
Very nice pigs! I love hog hunting. There's nothing like sitting under a full moon waiting for the shadows ro move.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »
You guys are making me jealous....LOL!!!!!

Danno, that is one big ass bore!  LOL!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:08:18 AM »
Para45, I'll trade you all the hog hunts you want for a shot at a grey ghost!

My wife and I both want to go to South Africa. I've just got to find a way to save up the money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 07:10:08 PM »
LMAO!!!!!  Ahhh, I don't know if I can say it is a fair trade....LOL!!!!!

Cbloom, don't think of Africa as a out of reach type of trip.  It is not!  I used to believe that until I did some digging and found out that it was an achievable dream.  My wife and I went to SA in Jul (peak of hunting season & expensive airline tickets) and went for two weeks.  The hunt will run you just about the cost of an elk hunt here in the states.  I shot 7 animals, and I paid $6500.  The airlines was about $5000.00, and the taxidermist, well, that cost more than the Safari, and I got totally screwed on it, but that is another story.  If I had to do it again, I'd have the mounts done here in the states. We saved our pennies for two years, and did.  You'll probably have anywhere from a year to 2 years to get your mounts done, giving you enough time to save to pay for them.   

My wife and I are planning on going back for her 50th birthday, and this time we are planning on going to the East Cape. 

You know, you only get one shot during this life, make the best of it.  ;)
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 07:44:31 PM »
Yeah, my wife loves to travel. She's been to Africa twice, and I've been once (on business) so I reckon we'll go back at some point. We're in the save for the future, pay off school debt, we want kids, and she needs a car phase right now. But I think you're right, Africa isn't unattainable. We just have to be patient and vigilant. I do most of my taxidermy and meat processing (not that I can bring meat back) myself, so we'll save money there. Although I'd want the kudu professionally done; those are gorgeous animals.

So here's hoping we can be disciplined enough to git'r'done. Maybe in the next 5 years I'll have some pictures and a story to tell.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 12:24:19 AM »
You guys are making me jealous....LOL!!!!!

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're in Georgia. What part? I'm moving back to the Columbus area in a year or so. If you want to join me for a pig hunt, I'm always looking for an excuse to go.

Texas_Mike

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
I am new to forum. Nice hog picks in original post.
Went hog hunting in West Texas last week (Bellevue area) . The attached is photo of the largest I killed. Shot him with my Vanguard in .270 @ 150 yard a few minutes after sundown.  We went 180 lbs.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
Welcome. Congrats. Nice one.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »
Good hog Mike.Welcome to the Nation.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
Congratulations Mike, Welcome to the Nation.
Doug

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »
Thats a 180 pounds of gnarly looking boar. Theres no shortage of hogs in Texas, and a 6 to 10 pound pork loin on the grill is some of the best eating there is. Congratulations on your big boar and Welcome to the Nation Mike! (theres quite a few guys from Texas here)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:51:07 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 12:13:44 AM »
Very nice hog, Mike. And welcome to the Nation! I got my first hog with a 270 as well. Jack O'Connor may have been onto something with his love for that round. How far from El Paso are you?

Texas_Mike

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 01:06:22 AM »
I live in Conroe, TX which is about 40 miles north of Houston. El Paso is about 7-8 hours. I tend to hunt deer and pigs in West or Southern Texas rather than East Texas.