Spike Camp

Hog Pictures

Re: Hog Pictures
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 09:57:14 PM »
If you can make it from Conroe to El Paso in 7-8 hour, you either drive a NASCAR or there are roads I don't know about. Haha. I'm (kinda) in El Paso for the time being, but I visit my parents in the Spring area when I get the chance.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Texas_Mike

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »
Your right about the drive time.  Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote this post but its more like 10-11 hour drive. I have not had much luck hunting in this area of Texas for hogs.  I have tried several times in the Sam Houston National Forest.  I have seen some at a distance but none close enough to shoot. West or South Texas seems to be where the best action is.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
Welcome Mike! I chase the Texas piggies around as well. I do most of my hunting in the Mason area and also up northwest of Bellevue a ways on the Red River. I do get out east occasionally around the Kerens/Palestine area. Here are the last few I've taken plus a trail cam pic....
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Texas_Mike

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 10:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the welcome DW5. Nice hogs!! 

I will have to try out Kerens and Palistine if I can find some friends with contacts in that area or an outfitter.

I have a friend that recently purchased some property just across the Red River from the Bellevue area in a town named Terral. He claims his property is infested with hogs.  I plan on checking this out sometime in the next few months.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 10:24:47 AM »
I love getting after pigs on the river. It may be my favorite hunt of the year. As for the Kerens/Palestine area... I have a buddy with a small tract of land in Kerens, We go down every now and then. I did used to hunt with an outfitter in Palestine, www.bigwoods.net   ... It used to be a GREAT time, as the owner Doc, was very personally involved with the operation. The last time hunted with them, he had taken a step back from the day to day and, unfortunately, I must say it was the worst experience with an outfitter I have ever had. I have heard Doc has since come back into the fold. If that is the case, I have no doubt it is once again a tremendously fun hunt. Just looking over their website though, I see they have gone up over $500 per hunt since I used to hunt there, yikes! 

Texas_Mike

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the outfitter I will check them out.

You ever hunt public land and if so ever had any luck?  I have tried a couple times in the Sam Houston National Forrest which is about 10 miles from my house but never had any luck.

I drew deer permit for hunt on 12/9 -12/11 in Balcones Canyonland National Refuge north of Austin. The permit is also good for unlimited hogs so hoping I might get lucky.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 11:13:10 AM »
My only Texas public land experience in on the grasslands up around  Decatur. I took a small 8 point out of there but did not see any pigs. I have no doubt there are a lot around there though.

Congrats on the draw tag! Please let The Nation know how that hunt goes.

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »
DW5, those are some nice looking pigs. More color on them than the jet black ones I usually see. That trail cam pic looks like you'll have some new additions to the sounder soon.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 04:23:47 PM »
CB... possibly my #1 hunting goal right now is to get a color phase pig with good cutters. I have taken a few that were non solid black and a few with nice cutters, but have never run across one that was both. This has only been a true obsession of mine for a few years now, so I am hopeful that I can make it come to fruition now that I am focusing on it.

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »
Nothing wrong with that at all! I'm looking for a big boar as well. I'd like a nice skull and cutters to put in my reloading room (pronounced "garage" if my wife gets her way). But I lack self control and typically shiot the first one I see that's made of meat. I'm allergic to empty deep freezers...

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »
Haha! I hear ya! I'm so consumed with this goal that I'm going to pay for a full mount once I finally get the one I seek and probably hang it in my office at work or possibly in my hunting gear room, where she also insists on parking her car for some reason....🙄🙄

*edit*  By "full mount" I just mean a typical shoulder mount you would have done for a good deer. .... at least I think that's what I mean... now that I think about it a full body mount of the pig I'm after might look alright in the shop....
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:20:03 PM by DW5 »

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
A "Full Body Mount" of a pig with good ivory would look great. I too am looking for a big hog to get full body mounted. I had the big old warthog I shot in South Africa full body mounted and he looks great.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:38:36 PM by BB340 »
Aussie gun nut.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
BB, that is awesome! And that pic of you with the warthog and Lazermark is simply wonderful. As clear as the gun and everything else is in that photo, it ought to be in a Weatherby  catalog in the very near future.

Seriously, I think it would be a great selling point... and I'm sure if anyone were to track the hunter in the photo down, you would have nothing but lovely things to say they firearm...

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »
That's a VERY nice warthog! One of those in on my hit list too. My wife and I are planning a trip to South Africa.  Just waiting for my bank account to be on board.

Jameson

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »
Lord have mercy! That thing looks like he was crossbred with an elephant! Congratulations. Nice mount, too.
JP