Spike Camp

Never bow hunted

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Never bow hunted
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:06 PM »
Chris, it sounds like you are really into bow's. I've owned Ben Pearson, Jennings, 2 Brownings and now my Bowtech. Unless I buy a crossbow, my Bowtech will probably be my last archery purchase. If my wife's healthy, I will probably sneak out and do some bow hunting this fall.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
I have been on the fence about crossbows. Instead of judging the fairness of one over the other I have pondered the idea of trying one out for a season. My wife said if I do that I have to give up my compound in order to do so. Still have my longbows and recurves but just not 100% I want to get rid of the compound though. If I would do that I prolly would have a more honest opinion between the two bows. Been eyeballing a Excalibur.   
To say I have a passion about bow is an understatement, I get withdrawals from not shooting them.
I wish with a longbow it would show better results from my time shooting that's for sure. Something about casting out an arrow and watching its flight that I really dig.
I had one time I was shooting at a deer with a recurve and everything was just perfect. The deer was a little over 30 yards(which should be to far) and I just knew where and what she was going to do. When I drew back in the matter of three seconds I replayed the shot in my head five times and let go of the string. When the string slipped out of my finger tips the arrow appeared to be moving in slow motion and I could of counted the rotation of the arrow as it arched to my spot I picked and it just disappeared right into that spot. Out of all the deer I have killed with a bow or gun, compound or trad bow that shot has been the most intense and memorable shot ever.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
I have had a lot of long bow and recurve hunters tell me they hunt traditional not compounds or crossbows.My answer is did you make your own bow from a saplin,make your string from a hide,whittle out your own wooden arrows,using bird feathers for your fletchings? If not then you are not a traditional hunter the same as me.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »
Should of said "trad bows"
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
I have had a lot of long bow and recurve hunters tell me they hunt traditional not compounds or crossbows.My answer is did you make your own bow from a saplin,make your string from a hide,whittle out your own wooden arrows,using bird feathers for your fletchings? If not then you are not a traditional hunter the same as me.
Sometimes the Anti's don't have to attack us, we do it ourselves. My buddy in Colorado got involved with a Traditional archery club after purchasing a long bow. Things went OK until he realized he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn past 20 yards, so he switched back to his Matthews for a Bull elk hunt that took 15 years to get drawn for. He wasnt treated to well after they found out he shot a nice bull with a compound, he has moved on from that group. We (sportsman) need to stand together no matter what we use.
My nephew shot a yearling doe (his first deer) rifle hunting 6 years ago and he was a very proud happy hunter. Until some jerk walked up to him in the WMA parking lot and told him he should be ashamed for shooting such a small doe. People like that should have the ____ beat out of them!!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

mikhail2400

• NRA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
Wow blackbear3 sorry to hear your nephew was brought low on such a happy and proud moment in his life. Theres allways some people who will find fault even when there is none to be found.
"The shot of the century" June 27th 1874, Billy Dixon shot an Indian standing beside Chief Quanna Parker from "about a mile away" ending the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls
The shot was made with a borrowed Sharps 50-90. He didnt think his own 45-90 Sharps had the range.

jmnyckt

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 03:29:03 AM »
Congrats on deciding to hunt during the archery season. It will not only extend your seasons, but it will give you a chance to gain patience, really work on shot placement, plus its really an accomplishment when taking game with a bow. As far as equipment, i really dont have much input. I have 2 bows, a Bear Super Grizzly in 55#, and a PSE in 45#, both recurves. I use the recurves because i have a longer than average draw length, 31-1/2". Ive had the PSE for a very long time, and the Bear i bought from a guy when i was 13 for $50 i was fishing and he asked if i wanted to buy it, and i said sure, in those days at 13 i had a small job and saved some cash. It was easy to get arrows then, but as an adult it got harder. Once i realized that arrows could be gotten by shaft only, i cut and fletched my own for a while, then i found a shop in Alabama when we were stationed there that made cedar arrows and natural fletching, i had them cut 2 dozen and i made a few practice arrows. I dont use any sights, ive had my strings made by a different shop when we were in NY near Ft. Drum, and made my own stringer. I shot my very first deer with a bow, it was with an old Bear 45# bow with cedar arrows and Bear 2 blade broadheads. I was 10, and that was in 1978, it was an incredible 3 point! It was incredible because it was my first, back then we had alot of land by our house and i was always in there fishing the streams and saw plenty of deer. I practiced every chance i had. The last time i hunted those woods was just prior to a new condo subdivision going in, i was 28 and i took a nice black bear in there with an old 30/30 Win. 94, my mom lived up the road and told me she saw bears crossing the road all the time, i took a chance. But i digress, I went off topic, archery is very personalised, everything has to feel right and be almost an extension of you, in my case, i hunt from the ground( I dont like heights), when i draw an arrow, i try and picture the arrow in flight, with practice youll know the arrow path. Archery and primitive firearms seasons not only extend your hunting seasons, they are challenging, and there is a learning curve, trying different equipment, etc...I still use the recurves and cedar shafts, right along with my smoothbore .56 caliber muzzleloader with patch and round ball. These seasons are important as well, most will let a doe or smaller buck pass during firearms season, but during the archery/ primitive seasons, just getting one close to take a shot is a challenge. Ive taken deer with all legal means except one, in Alabama you can still hunt deer and hog with a spear. I think ill pass on that, but once you locate a bow, check and see, how readilly available is the equipment? Arrows? I guess they are made out of all kinds of stuff now, arrows should be measured, and from the same batch as close as possible, knocks? Yup! Try different ones, they do vary and just may "feel funny", mechanical release or not? I mentioned arrow length, sometimes if you measure say 29 inches, you might find the arrow flies truer a 1/2 inch or so longer. Once you get everything tuned tou YOU, then get extra strings, arrows, nocks, rests, sights....why? Because gear is always updating, and i find nothing worse than having to figure out new gear. Good luck, practice, and most of all have fun, i hunt going out with the idea that im not going to get anything, but, ive seen some really wonderful things sitting in the calm woods, and feel sorry for those who never will. Ok.....im done, good luck!

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 05:57:39 AM »
Keep us posted and pm me anytime
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member