Spike Camp

Element 20 g not feeding ammunition

Fair

Element 20 g not feeding ammunition
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
Hi - I have a Weatherby Element 20g that I have had since the end of May.  I have been shooting about 50 rounds a month to practice and break it in. Recently it started not feeding and cycling ammunition.  We cleaned the trigger assembly, and it did not help.  It also would not lock open when empty, and the cleaning seemed to help that somewhat.  Thoughts?  I considered trying different ammo but it was working fine up until recently.  Currently shooting Federal ammo.

Re: Element 20 g not feeding ammunition
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!!!  I do not have a Weatherby shotgun, if someone else doesn't chime in I would call Weatherby Monday. It sounds like it could be a spring and or some debris. You could also try posting this under around the campfire under general discussions, you will probably see more responses that way. Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:47:09 PM by blackbear3 »
Doug

Fair

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:01:10 PM »
Thanks! Will do! Of course I leave for a Pheasant hunting trip in a couple of weeks so hoping this will be a quick fix.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
Gotta agree with Doug.I don't shoot Weatherby shotguns either but would give them a call tomorrow.Otherwise I would flush everything out reallllll good with Gun Scrubber.Good luck on getting it going and your pheasant hunt.Where are you going to hunt?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Fair

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »
Thanks!  Will try that. We are going to Robinson ND. I just started hunting a couple of years ago and love it! 

tbone

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:54:32 AM »
Hi,
My name is Teresa from the Weatherby Service Dept.  We're sorry to hear of the problem you are having with your shotgun.  I checked with our gunsmiths regarding the feeding problem you started experiencing and we've got some questions in order to figure out what may be causing the problem.

1) Are the shells not feeding from the mag tube properly?
2) Are they not loading into the chamber properly?
3) Are the fired shells ejecting ok?
4) What other loads have you tried?
5) How frequently is the gun cleaned?  The owners' manual recommends cleaning after every use to remove powder residue, dirt, dust, and excess lubricant, and to prevent rust.

If you could please provide us with these answers, we'd be happy to see what our gunsmiths recommend.  If you would prefer to call, you can reach our Service Dept. Monday - Thursday between the hours of 6:30-5:00 p.m. at #800-227-2023

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:04:51 AM by tbone »

Fair

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
Hi Teresa, thanks for your help.  Here are my responses to your questions.
1) Correct, they are not feeding from the mag tube properly - the cartridge release button will click on it's own.
2) When single loading the chamber, it feeds correctly.  But not when feeding into the magazine.
3) Sometimes it ejects, but not always
4) We have tried the following loads: Game load 1 oz. 4 shot; 7/8 oz. 8 shot, all 2 3/4 in.; and 1 1/16 oz. 5 shot steel, 3 in.; 1 oz 71/2 shot.
5) The gun is cleaned after every use.

Let me know if you have additional questions.  If I try calling tomorrow, should I ask for you since you would have background on the issue? 

Thanks for your help - still new to hunting and guns, so let me know if my answers do not make sense. 
Maribeth

tbone

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
Maribeth,
Thanks for the answers to the questions and I will review them with the gunsmiths in the morning. Please ask for me when calling in, or if you prefer you can p.m. me your e-mail and/or telephone number and the best time to reach you.

p.s.  Your answers make perfect sense!

Thanks again.
Teresa Wright
Weatherby Service Dept.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »
Maribeth, Good Luck on your pheasant hunting trip, hopefully the problem is resolved long before you leave. And Teresa, Weatherby service is the greatest. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Doug

tbone

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
Maribeth,
I have reviewed your answers with one of our gunsmiths.  Is it possible for you to call in and discuss this with me at #800-227-2023 or can you please supply me via p.m. with a contact ph # for me to call you right now?  It might be easier for me to get in contact with you.
Thanks!!
Teresa

Fair

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 06:22:01 PM »
Maribeth, Good Luck on your pheasant hunting trip, hopefully the problem is resolved long before you leave. And Teresa, Weatherby service is the greatest. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thank you!  Teresa and Weatherby customer service were awesome!  My gun is on it's way there for them to look at and resolve the issue. :)

tbone

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
Maribeth,
Glad we could be of assistance and we'll be in touch as soon as our gunsmiths' evaluation is complete.
Thanks!

tbone

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
This is Teresa from the Weatherby Service Dept. The shotgun has been evaluated, problem verified, and gun is being replaced. New shotgun is being shipped out Monday, 10-3, so Maribeth can use it on her hunt.
Thanks to our staff for their assistance in making this happen for our customer!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:22:58 PM by tbone »

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »
WOW!!! Can't beat that.  ;D ;D ;D 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Doug