Spike Camp

Accumark RC acuracy

Accumark RC acuracy
« on: November 12, 2016, 04:50:47 AM »
Hi,
I purchased a new RC Accumark in 308 last year and finally got around to shooting it. I put an older Leupold LPS 3.5x14x52mm, 30mm tube on it with Talley bases. I've taken it to the range twice and can't get groups any better than 2" to 2.5". I've tried Federal vital shock, Fusion & Federal gold medal match. All were 165 to 168 grain. The document that came with the rifle from Weatherby shows that they test fired using Barnes 150 grain and achieved a .37 radius. The scope is mounted securely. I don't see any visible issues. Is it possible that the difference from 150 to 165 grain is the problem? Or is it possible that the issue is the scope? I purchased the scope used a couple years ago and never mounted it on the weapon until now. I'll head out to the range with a few different brands of 150, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any other suggestions as well.

Ok, heres an update for those interested.  I removed the scope and bases, cleaned it up and reinstalled the bases and scope.  Went to the range with a variety of ammo.  It shot groups under a 1/2 inch regardless of the ammo and bullet weight.  See attached pics.  So, I really don't know what the heck I did, but the rifle with the same scope is a tack driver now.  A ringing endorsement for Weatherby. I'm in my 50's so my eyes aren't what they used to be. Honestly I can't shoot any better than this. Thank you for the replies.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:43:00 AM by Kalten »

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Accumark RC acuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:21:24 AM »
My gut says you may have a scope issue. If you have a spare scope you know I'd goof or could swap a good scope from another rifle, that would be my first step.

You might see some difference in bullet weights, but 308s are generally pretty good with 165/168gr bullets.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 07:48:57 AM »
With a factory target of .37 moa, and your use of the Barnes Vortex 150 gr ttsx, I would also lean toward the scope being the problem. You might look closely for possible parallax in the scope, and just check to is if its tracking correctly. One last thing, which is a reach given its a new rifle, is to check the action screws for proper torque. These are the other recommended loads listed for a 308 by Weatherby, though not necessarily for the RC model.  Good luck.
308 Winchester   Barnes Vortex 168 gr TTSX
(21541)
    Barnes Vortex 150 gr TTSX
(21540)
    Federal 165gr Sierra GameKing Ballistic-Tip
(P308C)
    Federal 150gr Soft Point
(308A)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:30:58 AM »
I have found that when scopes go bad you have groups that are much worse than 2 to 2.5 inches.But it sure could be. As you are doing,try the 150s and keep us informed.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.