Spike Camp

To slug, or not to slug, that is the question.

Infidel65

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    • View Profile
To slug, or not to slug, that is the question.
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
I just got a new 12ga PA-08 TR with the 18.5 inch barrel. I believe this smooth bore barrel is not choked and can fire slugs.
What markings on the gun verrify slugs can be fired?
Infidel65

galamb

• View Profile
Re: To slug, or not to slug, that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
Sorry, answered you in the other post (the old one of mine talking about the PA-08).

Barrel won't be marked - rifled slugs (sometimes called Foster slugs) or even the old style "pumpkin balls" will fire without issue in pretty much any barrel - I squeeze rifled slugs through my fixed choke (modified) barrel on one of my shotguns - no problem but a cylinder or improved cylinder is usually preferred.

You will get varying results with Sabot's which are designed for a fully rifled barrel. Rifled choke tubes are available (if you have a removable choke), but the results with them are not consistent - really need the rifled barrel.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

Infidel65

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »
Thanks galamb.
Infidel65

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »
Learned something new today. Now I need to find out which slugs will shoot well through my 870 Wingmaster!
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

jmnyckt

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
Smooth bore with improved cylinder or cylinder bore you can shoot Forster style slugs or Brenneke slugs (those will say for smooth or rifled barrel), I've fired slugs out of a full choke but after seeing pictures of barrels blown open, I won't do that again. Shooting sabot slugs out of a smooth bore can, and I do stress can wobble in the barrel and blow out the side of the barrel. But, you have the PA-08, I have one with the rifled slug barrel and cantilever scope mount and it's a really nice set up, not sure how much a barrel is. But, if your shotgun is a smooth bore, and a wide choke, shoot slugs marked "for smooth bore only" or "for smooth and rifled barrels". I grew up in Massachusetts and they have a shotgun only law on deer, so figuring out slugs was a way of life, good luck