Spike Camp

Breaking in an SA-08

Breaking in an SA-08
« on: December 30, 2016, 06:40:30 AM »
Hello. I am wondering how long does it take to break in a SA-08. I have a new sa-08 that is not ejecting rounds. I have read other posts that indicate this is normal and the gun needs to be broken in. I fired about 50 magnum rounds through it, each feeding and ejecting perfectly. However, as soon as I loaded less powerful rounds (#1 buckshot, 1375 FPS), the gun stops ejecting. I am using the heavy load piston. Will it take more breaking in or am I stuck with only using magnum loads?

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Breaking in an SA-08
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
Welcome to the Nation! This is the info Weatherby outlines. Hope it helps, good luck J lope.

The following information is being provided to assist in the communication between customers and service personnel regarding complaints of failure to cycle light loads.  We are hopeful that all of our shotguns will be delivered to our customers in excellent working order, and will live up to our customers' expectations of Weatherby Quality Standards.  We realize, however, that occasionally a customer's expectations or experience with firearms will require that our qualified Service personnel help them to achieve the best results with their shotgun.

The SA-08 shotguns are advertised as being able to cycle 7/8 oz loads.  This has been determined to be accurate for both the 12 gauge and 20 gauge models.  There are, however, certain limitations to the reliable cycling of the 12 gauge shotguns with loads below 1 oz.  It has been determined through our testing that there are two factors that control the ability of the shotguns to cycle reliably.  First is the velocity of the load, and second is the weight of the shot.

The 7/8 oz (24 gram) loads must have velocities of at least 1325 fps.  Some examples of these are the Winchester AANL129 with a velocity of 1350 fps, and a Federal N110 with a velocity of 1325 fps.  No failures to cycle have been observed using these loads.

The loads between 1 oz and 1 oz require dram equivalents of 3 and/or velocities of 1290 fps.  Having said this, there are exceptions.  We have consistently fired 1 oz Winchester XU12SP8 which has an advertised velocity of 1220 fps with no failures to function.  There is an obvious correlation between velocity and shot load that will determine whether or not a shotgun will cycle light loads reliably.

All semi-auto firearms need a break in period for optimum performance and the SA-08 is no different.  The manufacturer of our semi auto shotguns has found that a minimum of 100 rounds should be fired using ammunition that reliably cycles the action before the shotgun can be considered to be "broken in".  During the manufacturing process, the action is mechanically cycles 750 times on an automated machine built especially for this purpose.  Actual firing of the shotgun, however, is still needed in order to seat and mate the internal parts of the shotgun.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:49:03 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

Re: Breaking in an SA-08
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »
However, as soon as I loaded less powerful rounds (#1 buckshot, 1375 FPS), the gun stops ejecting. I am using the heavy load piston. Will it take more breaking in or am I stuck with only using magnum loads?

Have you swapped out to the lighter load piston for 1375 FPS rounds? New SA-08 last season, 10 heavy rounds to start - then onto the cheap trap loads (as I am not that good of a shooter) - 100 of rounds with the light load piston and zero no cycle issues. Best of luck