Spike Camp

Zeroing issues with zeiss setup

Zeroing issues with zeiss setup
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:00:24 PM »
I have a .308 accumark RC mark V that I just bought from a guy. I bought a zeiss conquest 5HD 3x15 50mm with rapid Z 600 retical (1" tube) to go on top. Holding it together with high Burris tactical rings ( the ones with 6 screws per cap)

The gun came with a 20 moa rail. I mounted the scope and went to bore sight it in. I ran out of adjustment to get sights in line with bore (roughly 50yrds bore sight). So I figured that I needed to dump the 20 moa rail and go with a 0 moa rail. I ordered one and put it on. Was able to bore sight it in this time. Went to range to get on paper at a 100 yrds. First several shots hit nothing. Finally saw splash low, started moving up and got it on bullseye at 100yrds but now I have no more adjustment. So with the elevation adjustment maxed out and I'm wanting it 1.5" high at a 100yrd (200 yrds zero) I'm thinking I need to put the 20 moa rail back on to get some adjustment back.

Will a 20 moa fix this? Why am I way low on bore sighting? Once the 20 moa is on should I be able to move the elevation down 20 moa clicks to be close to where I'm at now?

Re: Zeroing issues with zeiss setup
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »
A 20moa rail is nice for shooting past 500m or if you have an optic with very little to average internal elevation adjustment. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get your shots on target with the 20moa rail. As far as your bore sighting being off, well I don't know which brand or style of laser bore sighter you are using but I've found the cartridge specific laser bore sighters that look like a case that you put in the chamber to be the only reliable and repeatable bore sights. The universal fit ones that stick out of the front of the barrel and come with shims/sleeves for different calibers tend to sag out front due to the weight and usually you can spin them when in the barrel and watch them make a circle on the wall. Just imagine how far off that will put you at 50m, or 100m, or even 300m.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
You have a standard 6-lug Mark V action. Be sure you're using the right bases for it. Weatherby actions somehow seem to end up with a lot of bad fitting bases, IMO. I've had the issue once with my first (bought Weatherby specific bases from Leupold which were either just repackaged Rem700 bases or QC is so bad they are .030" off in how they are finished. I've changed out bases on a dozen Mark Vs for others who ran into similar problems. If you're not going to be shooting beyond 500-600yds often, I'd strongly consider getting the Talley Lightweight ringmounts. They are excellent, and the boys over in Sumter, SC know how to cut for Weatherby actions.

Alternately you could shim the regular rail, or use the 20MOA rail (be sure some yahoo didn't install it backwards originally...). Once you get the base you want on, use a pair of levels to be sure they are oriented correctly so you don't have to keep fighting based on assumptions.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »
Thank you for the input guys!

Both bases are weatherby mark v short action specific (Remington 700 bases fits vanguards but not mark v) The alinement on the screw pattern in dead on. It can only be installed one way due to one set of holes being further apart then the other. The 0 steel moa rail base is from warne and should be quality. The other that came with the rifle is a 20 moa aluminum, not sure of brand but it does say weatherby on the under side.

I don't plan on shooting past 500-600 yards. Does ring height effect adjustment on scope at all? I have high rings but might could clear medium rings. I still don't understand why I ran out of elevation adjustment with a 0 moa at only 100 yards? This is my first Weatherby and my first Zeiss, both of which are suppose to be of high quality. I know the Zeiss is only a 1" tube but surely it should have enough adjustment to be some where toward the middle of adjustment at 100 yards.

I put the 20 moa back on today and couldnt get it on paper at 100 yards after one box of ammo. I didn't have a spotter to watch for splash to make adjustments. Toward the end of the box I saw impact way high! (16-18") I started moving it down a lot but couldn't get it on target at 100 yards before running out of ammo.

I think I'm going to try switching the rings around and see if that makes a difference. Something is off here and I just can't figure it out yet. Also will move to a shorter range to get on paper first (25-50 yards)

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »
Do you have a different scope you could try? At least that way you could eliminate one of the possibilities. Hopefully its something simple, I don't see how it could be the rifle. So it must be the scope or mounts.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »
Ok update,

I realized that the only thing that I haven't changed out was the rings. So I purchased a new set and started with the 0 moa rail. Went to the range and all is good! Was able to get on a 200yrd zero within mid range of the elevation adjustment.
The system is working great now! Proofed it out consistently out to 500ydrs and took a little adjustment to get on target at 750ydrs.
Guess I just got a bad set of rings. Thanks for the help and input guys!

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
Glad we could help and welcome to the Nation. Hope you can stop by again.  ;D
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member